What year is considered oldbie?

31 minutes ago, Cybin Monde said:

The earliest are from beta - 2002/2003.

The earliest residents were actually the twenty-five Closed Alpha Testers from Linden World's  "Early Creator Program", which began in March 2002 and included Steller Sunshine, Paul Zeeman etc. Steller's account is actually one day older than Philip Linden's!

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Technically, Steller didn't "join" Second Life, she joined Linden World, whose name was changed to Second Life on 1st November 2002.

The name was changed for the next stage of testing after Alpha Test period was completed.  The Beta Test period of the renamed Second Life lasted between November 2002 until June 2003.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen

On 3/20/2024 at 11:02 AM, Bree Giffen said:

I've always thought in any online world that an oldbie is person who has been playing for several years constantly and has seen changes happen to the world. A person can have an old account and not log in often which makes them somewhat lacking in knowledge of everything that has happened and in how to do new things. I'd still consider that person a newbie just like someone who logged in for the first time today. 

Alts and people that come back after a perma-ban muddy the "Who is an Oldbie and Who is a Noob" as well.  I have met TONS of old timers who came back during COVID after years of being away, and tons of "Not my First Time in SL, just a New Avi" people as well.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Cybin Monde said:

Pretty sure 1970 comes before 2002. 😉

image.png.f4620db69c9208e3abab2bf8cd375b2b.png

SL didn't exist then so there. lol

I remember when that happened. It wasn't just one account. But it was still funny. 

I am disappoint. I thought you were gonna rag on first resident vs oldest Linden. 🤣

• Haha 1

Stepped on the ride in July 2004 and it took me so many years *not* to feel like a newbie, but I admit I am starting to feel a bit fossilized now !

I dunno ...  whether you remember the rating system ?  I actually quite liked it as it was an icebreaking way of saying 'Hi'.

Willow's parties, random Lindens hanging out at dance events, on-the-spot Torley interviews, torturing torii and the days you could cross the whole of SL in a balloon (bought from Abbots, where else).

Nowadays I just do the occasional trip pointing out jaggedy-but-loveable stuff that's somehow survived, and bore peoples ears off about the days when I had system hair and telehubs were a thing.

It always makes me smile though that 20 years on the 'getting lined up' hugger wiggle-dance is still a thing ...  'plus ca change... '

I raise a glass to you, no matter how long you've been on this thrilling ride. Cheers ! ❤️ 

• Like 6

On 3/20/2024 at 6:24 PM, Porky Gorky said:

Talking about post count, I am wondering if our current post count includes the total posts from the old forum too? This forum, v2.0 started in 2008/9 i think, so there could be 4 or 5 years worth of posts unaccounted for when it comes to the older oldbies.

I think some of my old posts from 2009 are there.