Are there contingencies in place?

Riodan

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 74 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 2/4/2024 at 5:49 PM, Aishagain said:

Let's not call whatever you are talking of as SL 2.0.  That designation was given, right or wrong, to LL's abortive Sansar project which failed for many well-discussed/chewed over reasons.

A mobile version of SL may appeal to younger adopters but for me it would not and could never "feel" like SL.

I am not part of the new vanguard that wants everything on a hand-held device, no matter how advanced.  I just cannot believe it would have sufficient "prescence" to interest me.

Amen to this, what I'd truly like to see is an evolution in VR. I'm not opposed to a new platform, Inzio is looking relatively promising depending on what the actual roadmap looks like and the overall goal, would I be relatively annoyed at losing any work or investment I've made into Second Life? Absolutely. I do however feel like the shift to mobile "may" attract a few but at the end of the day that's not what I use my phone for. I'm Gen X, we use the phone to make phone calls. I've tried to insert myself into a mobile world, most use I get out of my phone is weather, discord and occasionally the GPS when it comes to apps. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riodan said:

Amen to this, what I'd truly like to see is an evolution in VR. I'm not opposed to a new platform, Inzio is looking relatively promising depending on what the actual roadmap looks like and the overall goal, would I be relatively annoyed at losing any work or investment I've made into Second Life? Absolutely. I do however feel like the shift to mobile "may" attract a few but at the end of the day that's not what I use my phone for. I'm Gen X, we use the phone to make phone calls. I've tried to insert myself into a mobile world, most use I get out of my phone is weather, discord and occasionally the GPS when it comes to apps. 

That Inzoi does look interesting.  Wonder if it will look as good when it''s actually released.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Wulfie Reanimator said:

Can you name a few examples?

Maybe not going pure mobile. But an example that still hurts me is cancelling Unreal Tournament 4 as a high end PC first person shooter and replacing it with Fortnite that runs on Android and iOS. Epic basically threw away their entire user base of Unreal Tournament fans and went with a new market which included mobile. Very sadly it worked and we'll never see an Unreal Tournament again.

I'd also argue that VR exclusive games throw out PC/Mac and lock it to VR which doesn't really work out either.

I'm probably speaking out of date from when everyone thought mobile was 100% the future and desktop was going to die. But I still think you can see it somewhat with people who make apps for Android/iOS and there's no Windows/OSX equivalent. But I do think a lot of new companies just make an Android and iOS website and throw in a website.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

On 2/1/2024 at 9:52 AM, Riodan said:

Your assumptions are correct, unfortunately they are way behind and in truth, it's just not worth the time it would take to see it come to fruition.  I've got a few associates that have dabbled on it, and they just aren't thrilled with the experience or the lack thereof of improvements.   In a perfect world, I'd have 5 years of development time to use towards a Virtual World project myself, but I'm getting too old for that stress and crowd funding for a project of that scope could take years itself lol.

You maybe want to talk again with these friends as OpenSim server side, is not that far behind and in some cases are in front of SL. They will usually be behind because for some reason it was decided a long time ago to be compatible with SL as best as could be managed, so it is often necessary to wait for for the Lindens on what direction they are going. Opensim is only behind in User generated content for as should be obvious to most, Developers and creators will spend most of their time in furthering what is available in SL as they get paid for that unlike Opensim, but that is in no way a reflection of what could be done in OS if one were to spend the time at it.

There is also of course the availability of setting up P2P regions and grids as many have already done and being a Linden of your own grid. If one has no desire to reinvent the wheel or create their own platform then Opensim is the most expedient way to do that as 99% is already in place,

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 9:58 AM, Riodan said:

If you ever do wind up creating another SL-Like (or better) grid, take me with you lol. Someone mentioned Open Sim. Currently I am involved with a Gor sim that is similar to SL, with many different sims within the grid. It is hosted by firestorm and there is ability to hypergrid to different grid. I enjoy it, but it would be fabulous if there were other alternatives and the technology was upgrades as it is, essentially just like SL (grid is just not owned by LL). I would LOVE to see and SL in virtual reality!! I own the Meta Oculus 2 headset and have a lot of fun with it. I think that would bring a whole new level of excitement to SL. Do you think that this would be feasible?

Edited by LisaJCobalt

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 74 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.