Firefox 122

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 92 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have not tried this is many years, but something I read made me want to try Firefox browser again  (N.B.. I'm on Linux, so I know I'm a second-class citizen).  So I imported all my Brave bookmarks, and tried it.  It's good - except:  I can't access the SL Forums.  Whatever I do, I get the SL browser login screen and then, when I put in my credentials, I get the Account summary page.  Clicking 'Community' at the top gives the Community page, but clicking 'Go to FORUMS '  at the bottom-right just takes me back to the Account page.

Is this intended behavior?  To push people towards Chrome-based browsers or something I don't understand?   And ideas before I raise a ticket?

Isn't it easier to simply bookmark the forum page and log in there and chose remember me?
That is what I did.
It works perfectly and independent from the rest of the SL account pages, just like the marketplace, which I have bookmarked separately too.

As far as the account page works in Firefox (I'm on the Windows version):
Don't click community, but hold your mouse there and wait for the pop up screen. In that screen you can click forums and come here.
I don't know how things work in Firefox on the far more superior Linux. :D

Edited by Sid Nagy
Just kidding, no Linux - Windows flaming war intended.
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Isn't it easier to simply bookmark the forum page and log in there and chose remember me?
That is what I did.
It works perfectly and independent from the rest of the SL account pages, just like the marketplace, which I have bookmarked separately too.

As far as the account page works in Firefox (I'm on the Windows version):
Don't click community, but hold your mouse there and wait for the pop up screen. In that screen you can click forums and come here.
I don't know how things work in Firefox on the far more superior Linux. :D

Would be if it works....   Everything leads me back to the Account page.  I think it's the new Firefox now.

If I type https://community.secondlife.com/forums into the new Firefox, I just get the log-in, and logging-in gets me to  Account.  If I'm already logged-in, then it still goes to Account:  https://secondlife.com/my/account/

Same with a bookmark.

Sorry Firefox, you screwed it.

12 minutes ago, Anna Nova said:

Would be if it works....   Everything leads me back to the Account page.  I think it's the new Firefox now.

If I type https://community.secondlife.com/forums into the new Firefox, I just get the log-in, and logging-in gets me to  Account.  If I'm already logged-in, then it still goes to Account:  https://secondlife.com/my/account/

Same with a bookmark.

Sorry Firefox, you screwed it.

Or the programmers of this website did not bother to optimize for your Firefox version. That is a possibility too.
I use Firefox on Windows, works perfect on almost every site I visit. But Toyota for instance is stubborn, they only optimize their Dutch site for the google one.
That makes the chances that I will buy a Toyota as my next car slim. These days one uses the Internet to narrow down choices, right?  I have an eye on a Hyundai Kona now.

It is a bit like the chicken - egg problem. Who is there to blame in the end?

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

I use Firefox 122, Windows 10, no issues accessing any part of the SL site including forums.

That does seem like a strange behaviour, do you have any extensions installed that could be causing a redirect?

firefox_122.png

Edited by AmeliaJ08

Mozilla's founder Mitch Kapor was a key investor in the early Second Life.  In his honour, SL named a sim region Kapor, which is located immediately to the south of SL's first and oldest sim, Da Boom. One further sim south from Kapor, you'll find Rosedale, which was named in honour of SL founder Philip Linden/Rosedale. :)

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Mozilla's founder Mitch Kapor was a key investor in the early Second Life.  In his honour, SL named a sim region Kapor, which is located immediately to the south of SL's first and oldest sim, Da Boom. One further sim south from Kapor, you'll find Rosedale, which was named in honour of Philip Linden/Rosedale. :)

There was another person closely associated with Netscape/Mozilla who also worked at LL for some time as an engineer: Tara Hernandez.

• Like 1

Must be something else to do with my set up then.  Thanks for the feedback.

EDIT:   I finally got it to work.  I got a different login screen, and then it was okay. I don't know what I did though. 

So this won't help anyone else.  It suddenly just started working.

Edited by Anna Nova
more info

5 hours ago, Anna Nova said:

Must be something else to do with my set up then.  Thanks for the feedback.

EDIT:   I finally got it to work.  I got a different login screen, and then it was okay. I don't know what I did though. 

So this won't help anyone else.  It suddenly just started working.

I have sometimes encountered some strange behaviour with rare sites that was corrected by disabling Firefox's enhanced tracking protection (shield looking thing left of the URL bar) for specific sites but in this case it seems to be on and functioning fine with all secondlife.com domains.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 92 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.