Bots

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 86 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I like the bonnie bots.

The other useless traffic bots are not really a problem either, just a minor annoyance because it makes finding social places difficult. I do find it a bit strange that they're so blatant given I'm pretty sure they're not supposed to exist yet a simple search term will deliver top results that are very obviously using them but maybe I'm wrong, I just thought bots had to declare themselves as such.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The only thing that really annoys me about scraper bots is that they always poof away before I can teleport onto their head.

It's like the mouse that always vanishes back into the crack in the wall the moment I notice it.

At least give me time to take a selfy with you before you poof away!

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

The only thing that really annoys me about scraper bots is that they always poof away before I can teleport onto their head.

It's like the mouse that always vanishes back into the crack in the wall the moment I notice it.

At least give me time to take a selfy with you before you poof away!

Someone should create a script that lets you chain them up in the dungeon.

c510339562d1cabfda42e86b88da2680.jpg

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/24/2024 at 4:02 AM, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Good luck with that, there is NO reliable test any mere user can make to tell an AFK avatar from a bot, or from somebody who just doesn't want to talk to some random outsider guy who THINKS he's entitled to a conversation.

None.

AFK bots that just sit on the same region are a bit more difficult to prove.. But it can be proven occasionally by region restarts. If after a restart the account logs back in and immediately returns to it's position, the position that it's always constantly at, there's a very good chance it's a bot. Monitor a few more restarts and I'd say you could 99% conclude if it's a bot or not.

Roaming bots are actually SUPER easy to identify. There's an individual (The whole not being able to link or name people policy on here is utter BS) who has done considerable work setting up monitors all over SL that track behavior patterns and can easily distinguish bots. If you were to Google "roaming bots secondlife" you might be able to find out some more information.

On 1/30/2024 at 12:36 PM, JUSTUS Palianta said:

The owner of bonnie bots is taking the micky out of us.

Just saw NotAnotherBonnieBotMakeItStop pop up at my home sim.

That's not a Bonnie as the name states. There are tens of thousands of bot accounts at this point, with roughly 10,000 active, and a few hundred roaming the grid constantly. There's also hundreds of fake Bonnies at this point. If you're not sure if it's a real Bonnie you can check the group profile for Cult of Bonnie, as we regularly kick out fakes, or just check the website. There's 12 accounts that roam, one that sits at our home region, and one that gets brought on occasionally for testing or requests. If you ask nicely, you might be able to get some Bonnies to visit an event your hosting!

On 1/30/2024 at 6:46 PM, Arielle Popstar said:

Someone should create a script that lets you chain them up in the dungeon.

You jest, but this might already be happening.. Just without the chains or dungeon. I know a few people who like to trap and toy with random bots. They can really make your soccer game much more enjoyable if you've got a big enough hamster ball.

Edited by Skyler Pancake
Additional response.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Skyler Pancake said:

I'd say you could 99% conclude if it's a bot or not.

You obviously MISED the point.

Understandable ass you are a bot-farmer.

Ok, pay attention, here we go.

*incoming tp noisse*

Captain Oldbie:  "Hi everyone, Captain Oldbie here, clueless grid explorer wannabe extraordinaire! So, fellow chatters, what facinating pseudo intellectual topic of my choosing will you debate with me for MY entertainment?"

*sound of crickets*

Captain Oldbie: "What, no answers? Gah! You are all obviously filthy bots! LL must act NOW to purge the grid of your unwelcome anti social existence, I was promised free entertainment!"

*outgoing tp noise*

Everyone still there: "Wow wasn't he dull, what a pillock, fancy teleporting into a nude orgy sex beach and asking us to stop having smexy time just to talk about HIS preferred boring drek..."

See the picture?

There is NO reliable method for some over-entitled social crusader, to tell an AFK avatar used to game traffic, from an unregistered bot, from somebody who IS actually there, but who would rather stick forks in their eyes that talk to the visiting oaf.

NONE.

The vast majority of "obviously a filthy bot" AR's are almost certainly false.

Hell I've had an idiot accuse ME of being a bot because I was on a pose stand editing my avatar, as "you are not moving about". One of the forums most obvious idiots once claimed all the avatars he saw on the far side of a "boring" non-combat sim were "obviously filthy bots" because they were not running around shooting at each other", and were obviously not talking because he couldn't see ANY of them using the noob typing animation, that most people disable with in the first 24 hours in SL.

1 hour ago, Skyler Pancake said:

There's an individual (The whole not being able to link or name people policy on here is utter BS) who has done considerable work setting up monitors all over SL that track behavior patterns and can easily distinguish bots. If you were to Google "roaming bots secondlife" you might be able to find out some more information.

I assume you mean Lou Netizen? The forums do have a policy against "naming and shaming," but I don't think that directing people to Netizen's site is any different than talking about Tyche Shepherd or others who work on SL stats and news. Nothing he does is outside of the ToS -- in fact, he provides a useful service for those who want to know if that person that just popped in and out is, actually, a bot (or at least, belongs to a known cohort).

Of course, I may be wrong! We'll see.

https://www.lounetizen.com/botdata/cohorts/

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 86 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.