Snapshot to Feed Tab question...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 115 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi.  I have a snapshot in my photo album that I want to add to my Feed Tab.  I was told these are the steps to follow:

1. Open Second Life and log into your account.
  2. Click on the "Me" tab located at the top of the viewer window to open your profile.
  3. On your profile page, look for the "Feed" section.
  4. Click on the "Share What's happening?" box in the "Feed" section to open the share box.
  5. Within the share box, click on the camera icon. This will open your photo album.
  6. Browse through your photo album and select the snapshot you want to share.
  7. Once you've selected the photo, click on the "Share" button to post it on your profile feed.

However, I don't see the "Share What's happening?" box in step 4.

Any suggestions?  I am using the most current version of Second Life Viewer

Thanks in advance.

1 hour ago, Toomas Belgar said:

Any suggestions?

The Feed is part of the Web Profile, and that page doesn't change layout based on what viewer you use, it's a web page.

The Feed tab of your web profile, access that by visiting https://my.secondlife.com/toomas.belgar and you'll find the "share something" box right at the top of the page directly under the tabs. It's just a text entry box, there is NO "camera icon" there.

To share snapshots on your feed, you use the "profile feed" option on the snapshot panel IN the viewer, and TAKE A NEW snapshot saved DIRECTLY to the Feed, and NOT to your in-world inventory. I've found that if the resolution, and complexity of the snapshot results in a estimated file size of more than 8mb, it often won't upload, so choose your image resolution accordingly.

I've NEVER seen any way to upload a picture from your In-World inventory to the feed, ever, not in 8 years. So unless the LL viewer has added something new fairly recently, who ever gave you instructions might be severely confused, and/or talking about something that was deprecated a long time ago.

I don't like the web feed, because anyone can (or could) add stuff to it, nasty stuff that could get you in trouble, I think I have it disabled now, maybe someone could check it for me.

I prefer posting pictures to my blog. I have total control over it.

*smiles*

I have used the feed for posting photos the past few years and it seems to work most of the time. Sometimes it stops working for a while but it always starts working later. The feed has a box at the top that says 'share something' and if you click  on it you can type text. To post a photo, you go into your camera and instead of saving to inventory or saving as a file you can save it to the feed. I don't recall any way to add an inventory photo to the feed. I guess you could rez a prim, put your image on it, take a photo and send it to your feed.

14 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

I don't like the web feed, because anyone can (or could) add stuff to it, nasty stuff that could get you in trouble, I think I have it disabled now, maybe someone could check it for me.

*smiles*

No one has ever been able to just add to your feed without you turning that option on/off as you wish. So no, no one could ever just add nasty stuff without you letting them do so. You have complete control over your feed, always have.

The photo to feed option is broken and has been for years for lots of people, on and off. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, without much explanation or solving of whatever the actual problem is from LL. I doubt it's a priority to fix it now. It definitely wasn't back in 2014, either. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Casidy Silvercloud said:

No one has ever been able to just add to your feed without you turning that option on/off as you wish. So no, no one could ever just add nasty stuff without you letting them do so. You have complete control over your feed, always have.

The photo to feed option is broken and has been for years for lots of people, on and off. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, without much explanation or solving of whatever the actual problem is from LL. I doubt it's a priority to fix it now. It definitely wasn't back in 2014, either. 

The issue is, most of that is ON by default unless you enable privacy settings.  The first time someone "followed" me on there I said Nope.  

This is how it shows by default so anyone in SL could post on your feed if you were unaware of those privacy settings.  Honestly, it should have always been OFF by default, IMO.

Screenshot_20240108-194212.thumb.png.31c210fa7a6d73c69764b418dfdc496e.png

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Casidy Silvercloud said:

I guess I had it turned on to allow because a friend put some crap up I didn't need to see. I think its totally turned off now, but then  i never look at it.

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

The issue is, most of that is ON by default unless you enable privacy settings.  The first time someone "followed" me on there I said Nope.  

This is how it shows by default so anyone in SL could post on your feed if you were unaware of those privacy settings.  Honestly, it should have always been OFF by default, IMO.

Yes, the default being on is stupid, but we've always been able to change it. I'm pretty sure that's probably their justification for having it on by default. At least it's always been an easy fix, though. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, BilliJo Aldrin said:

*smiles*

I turned mine off when I realised a year too late that a customer had been trying to use my feed to request customer service. I did not even know this feed existed before then, so it was a pretty useless way to seek customer service from me.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 115 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.