how to place/attach custom clothing?

Mariocroft94

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 112 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hello

I created this hat , but i dont know how to attach it to his head. it just keeps floating head of me. can someone tell me how can i make SL understand it is a hat? because when i wear it says its attach to my right hand, i tried to place by moving the object but i found it hard because while moving i cant move the camera.

btw is there a way to import things for youself and not need to pay? i am newbie and i got my 40 linden by fishing and joining a few events just to import , test and learn, not to sell or anything else D: it sucks that i have to pay just to preview it. and is there a better way to personalize your avatar instead of the welcome center sandbox? 

484.png

image.png.9b2b78a55e61706ca690de12ff707d98.png

Right click on the object in inventory (like yours would be HAT not "pillar").  then choose attach to and the part of your body you want to attach to.  I am guesssing "SKULL" would be the one. 

Adjust your hat so that it fits well then ----

IMPORTANT --- take the hat off and add it again to make sure it is working and that the hat "remembers". 

You pay for all uploads in SL whether for sale or not. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Mariocroft94 said:

is there a better way to personalize your avatar instead of the welcome center sandbox

With a bit of searching, you can find freebie things for your avatar.  Quality varies, but there is some nice stuff out there.

I linked a tutorial on how to create an avatar for 1 L. I can link it again. It gives you info on a basic wardrobe with things like jeans suits and sweaters/jackets. https://virtualbloke.com/archives/5352

It is easier to dress an avatar, the more body you cover. When you want tight fit, like swim trunks, you struggle to find some.

That freebie body fits older TMP clothing, you can find some on the Marketplace by searching TMP and filter it on the left to apparel - men's. From there you can filter more, like men's swimwear.

You are left with a small selection, a lot look like bleugh, and it is not freebies. The default search will not do, so change it to price low to high, and mark "do not show demos".

You will see that demos still slip through, but you got rid of most. You get 1 swim trunk for 1 L, several for 10 L, and several for 19 L.  https://marketplace.secondlife.com/

It is 2 ways to find apparel and accessories for avatars. Pay for it, or search it everywhere and put in time. As a man, you find maybe 2% of what women find. You have to go through all freebie places like Ajuda SL Brasil, and the more picky you are, the harder it is. Picky is maybe the wrong word, better to call it "have taste and want to look good".

The biggest freebie blog can be filtered to show "men's" in cathegories. https://fabfree.wordpress.com/

And here you get disappointed again. It is  almost nothing for the freebie meshbody. It all fits bodies you must pay for, like Gianni and Belleza. Many freebies comes as group gifts, and the group can cost several hundred to join.

• Like 1

I have another almost free mesh body for men to show you, it is a freebie from DNA, located in the Signature region: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Signature/128/128/129

mensmesh_003.thumb.png.672fbdcf7b90aafa7f38de97ebacf72d.png

It is made to fit more mesh clothing. Signature Gianni sizes fits it reasonably well.

Pick one of these bodies for 1 L, and a skin for 1 L.

mensmesh_001.thumb.png.87a00bfac5f81519f099348105df9667.png

The body comes with a head. You can not take it off. All the newer skins is made with the EvoX template. They do not fit this head. All you wear from the neck and up, skin, hairbases and beards, and other layers like additional eyebrows, must be the older SL UV or classic template.

It is easier to wear things like shorts on this body with an additional alpha layer. But finding freebies for men is hard, no matter what body you can have. You have better luck with new freebies, because they usually include a Signature Gianni size. And since it is so few male freebies, you have to read FabFree and hope it is an event or a new freebie where it is no group cost.

The shorts here is not a freebie, but the Signature size very good. It can be a minimal, very minimal clip at the waist band, when you move.

mensmesh_004.png.7d5c01c47c19df56553efc92f481e4a6.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Mario, as mentioned you should request access to the preview grid (Aditi) if you are interested in making things. Uploading there is free and this is how people test their creations to make sure they are ready for upload on the main grid (Agni) where you pay. There's a guide here on how to get access: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Preview_Grid#How_do_I_log_in_to_Aditi.3F  Once you are in Aditi just search for a Sandbox (there's a few) to work on things.

Since I think you are also using the Senra body you might want to request the Developer Kit for it if you are interested in making rigged things for it using Blender. You can request it here, don't worry about the questions about your store etc which can be left blank: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSda7-dQtl8WXqVA3jsocenjI-kRRwHmXL5rtvmja6YxEDB-qA/viewform

It's probably a good learning platform if you are interested in developing your skills.

Edited by AmeliaJ08

@Mariocroft94 The Preview or Beta Grid is where we test things, as you have been told. It would help if you read up on using the Beta Grid in the SL Wiki. You'll find that you must enable Grid Selection in the Preferences panel (Advanced tab->Show Grid Selection at Login checkbox) to get a new option on your login screen. Then you'll have the option to log into either the main (aka Agni) grid or the beta/preview (Aditi) grid. If you use a third-party viewer, other non-Linden grids are available.

As the Lindens test things they will copy parts of the main grid over to the preview grid. If you follow Linden's development UGs you'll know when that is happening. While there are permanent places in Aditi other places appear and disappear.

You can run multiple copies of the viewer (Advanced->Allow Multiple Viewers) and be logged into the main and beta grids at the same time. That is the only time your avatar can be in different places at the same time.

The main and preview grids use the same ID and password. The first time you log into the Beta grid you likely won't get in. You'll have to file a support ticket and give it a couple of days. They will set up your account on the preview grid and copy your inventory over from the main grid. Your beta grid inventory will update after you log into the preview grid. typically within 24 hours. If it doesn't update after a couple of logins and 48 hours, something has hung and support will have to help. I find I don't need most of my inventory in Aditi. So, I don't pay much attention to whether it updates or not.

Your Beta grid inventory NEVER copies back to the main grid. :(

There is a cost to upload to the Preview Grid... sort of. The Lindens give you free money for use on the Preview Grid... ONLY on the preview grid. You pay for uploads with free money that gets replaced if you use it all up.

The Firestorm Viewer allows some preview features for use on the main grid. You are the only one that can see what is being previewed. But it is handy and for some scenarios, it saves logging into the preview grid.

Get involved with Builder's Brewery, a group and location in SL, to learn more about building in SL.

You can preview mesh before uploading it. Sure, it'll look like plywood, but you can preview it.

I'm about as anticommercial as it gets, but I still have a little shop on the side; it helps me with upload funds.

I make stuff for myself, and if it's nice enough for me, I offer it to others. If they buy it, I use the funds to upload more stuff. Get your hat sorted, and when people say, "wow, cool hat!", tell them you made it yourself, and give them one. After a while of doing this, people will start to feel sympathetic and will start slipping you L$ to support your creative work. When they do this, just thank them and accept it; they're doing it willingly, and they don't think you're a bum. You're an artist.

Also, I know it sucks having to pay for uploads, but there's one major upside to it. If you hit the "calculate weights and fee" button, and you get an ungodly number, you know to go back and fix your topology, and get rid of a few thousand triangles. XD

Edited by PheebyKatz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 112 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.