drivable cars

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 283 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

i live on the Blake Sea where i have ocean on one side and a road on the other side. I have been looking for a drivable car to drive on my road. I have tried many different cars and most go too fast to stay on the road easily or at all.  I need a car that can gear down and go pretty slow. Just checking to see if anyone has come across a car like this. Thank you in advance.

1 hour ago, sweetindifference said:

i live on the Blake Sea where i have ocean on one side and a road on the other side. I have been looking for a drivable car to drive on my road. I have tried many different cars and most go too fast to stay on the road easily or at all.  I need a car that can gear down and go pretty slow. Just checking to see if anyone has come across a car like this. Thank you in advance.

A lot of cars use basically the same scripts and they can be adjusted. Try this:

1) Right click your car, select "Edit", and then go to the "Content tab." See if they're a lot of scripts that start with the letters "ACS."

2) If there are, back out of edit and bring up your menu by clicking on the car. See if there's a button labeled "Options" with a little diamond in front of it.

3) If you see this button, click it, then click "Controls." Now select "Gears" in the next menu.

4) You'll see a list of the gears the car has with numbers next to them, ranging from the low teens to the hundreds. Click the buttons for the gears and adjust the numbers to lower figures.

5) Test drive the car and see if that makes the car more drivable. Once you get settings you like, you can take a copy of the car back into your inventory and that car will always use those gear settings.

6) A lot of cars, especially cheap ones, have the steering set up to be too sensitive as well. You can also find a "steering" setting under "Controls" that you can adjust the same way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Check out any of the NTBI cars - Lusch Motors, GEMC, Jupiter, for example. Most of their cars have cruise control/speed limiters that can help with keeping a slow steady pace..plus most of the cars have a ton of steering and control options as well. 

Plus they have a demo section where you can try all of the NTBI cars out - http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/NTBI/84/87/24 

For specific slower cars to try - the Tuk Tuk Go from Lusch, the GEMC ice cream truck (sounds silly but its an epic road vehicle) and the Jupiter "Whats" (Kei) 

• Like 2

I second @Vicious Hollow recommendations - those brands are what I use for driving on both Mainland and Bellisseria roads - most of their cars are very smooth with steering, so it's easy to keep a straight course without weaving all over the road (which is what you're likely to do with poorly tuned ACS scripted cars).

I dont have the car that @Ina Fairport recommends, but if you want to try something very quirky from the same creator, then the Mudskipper https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/aR-Mudskipper-6x6-AATV-Off-Road-Vehicle/3313846  is highly recommended.  Although not mod, this little thing turns very smoothly, and also lets you go really slow if you want to.  Besides from that, it's main advantage is that its amphibious, so you can just drive into the water and it will keep on going.  It's also an incredible climber - it will even scale the tallest mountains in SL.

If you stick with an ACS scripted car, then besides from de-tuning the speed via the gears, most likely you'll want to turn down the steering too, and just as importantly, increase the steering resistance (named Resist+ in the Steering menu) - increasing this value will stop the car from darting side to side at the slightest key press.

ETA:  If mainland exploring sounds like something that might interest you further, then your best best is to join the Drivers of SL group  (secondlife:///app/group/402f2af0-fbe2-8b0c-d394-06532bc83437/about).  It's full of people and creators who like exploring, and they have weekly organised grid drives - usually with a reward vehicle at the end

Edited by Eowyn Southmoor
added info
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Ina Fairport said:

My favourite cars are old but still one of the best. Low lag, drives uncredibly smooth. and as  slow as you want

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/aR-Quatrelle-Rallye-Raid-v11-Car/4152532?page=4

I keep forgetting about this one..one of the most fun to drive and by far one of the most SOLID cars out there..not to mention it knows no fear..even if the driver does! 😆

Edited by Vicious Hollow
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, usedcars said:

I never liked driving around in SL. Kinda clunky.   If i can't hit the hand brake  and go around the bend like GTA it's not for me

drifting is doable in SL. Is a number of vids on Youtube showing this. Like this one

YOU ALL HAVE BEEN SO WONDERFUL REACHING OUT AND HELPING ME MORE THAN I COULD HAVE EVER IMAGINED. I have a venue where i put out cars, boats, bikes (both motor and pedal), hot air balloons, bubbles to ride in, and a hang glider for everyone to use all on the Blake Sea. If any of you feel inclined, you could drop by and try things out for me. And if you have any suggestions on making it better, I would love to hear them. Check my profile for the venues. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 283 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.