What we can do to prepare for mobile

Trinity Blakewell

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 133 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As a lowly "only" Premium user, I will just sit back and continue to wait...

But considering the information we have so far, it appears there is one big thing we can all do to prepare our accounts for mobile.

Save outfits.

I son't frequently do that, preferring to browse my inventory and put together something new each time. But it appears that for at least the near future, we won't have direct. access to our inventory. We will, however, be able to change our avatar to different outfits that have been saved (correct me if I'm wrong on that detail).

Anything else the need to prepare for? Do we need to, for example, make a list of landmarks instead of either pasting in a SLURL or clicking on a link in a browser?

• Like 2

I think that some assumptions may be based on the "current" Mobile viewer.  I don't know if the "final" Mobile viewer will have the same limitations.

Yes, the current Mobile viewer only lets you choose an outfit, or a "place" to teleport from your places.

But, I certainly hope the "final" Mobile viewer lets you browse inventory to add individual items to your outfit, use HUDs, search for Places, etc.!

I had to check, and right now the Mobile Alpha for Places lets you choose from "Home", "Favorites", "Mobile showcase", and "Destination guide".

2 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Wait, no inventory?

Surely not... SL can't function without an inventory. That has to be something they're working on.

They said, very clearly "customise your avatar using outfits".

Now, real SecondLifers, with real computers, can SAVE outfits to use on the MobileLife Fail-Viewer, but pity the poor sods they are hoping will only use MobFail, they won't HAVE any saved outfits.

Watch retention amongst those MobFail noobs plummet!

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

Wait, no inventory?

Surely not... SL can't function without an inventory. That has to be something they're working on.

As @Ron Khondji pointed out already, it is a first semi public alpha.

And I think that even the first phone versions for the broad public will still have (a lot) less functionality than the desktop versions.
It took a lot of years to get the desktop viewers where they are now. Same will be the case with the phone versions I recon.

• Thanks 1

I remember watching a video from LL and they said they were prioritizing the difficult parts first, like rendering AVs. I'd be a lot more concerned if this was in private alpha and inventory worked but all AVs were just placeholder blocks. Why attach stuff from inventory if you can't see your AV? Outfits are a good start at least. If you can change outfits the mobile viewer can at least attach and detach stuff from your AV.

We are easily at least a year out from mobile viewer being in the hands of the average person on App Store and Play.

31 minutes ago, Flea Yatsenko said:

We are easily at least a year out from mobile viewer being in the hands of the average person on App Store and Play.

If so, then anyone who is really really curious can just...get Premium Plus, a "capable" phone, and sign up now!

(That is working out OK for me!)

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If so, then anyone who is really really curious can just...get Premium Plus, a "capable" phone, and sign up now!

(That is working out OK for me!)

uhm not on your nelly.  Been on here almost 18 years, a grandfathered 2006 user, i use lumiya extensively on mobile data so could provide a ton of easily verifiable data, but I don't qualify as a tester?

nah, not interested.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 133 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.