PBR WOW!

Luna Bliss

5 minutes ago, arton Rotaru said:

Are these the WL's used to lit the avatar and made everything just flat?

Dumping those is long overdue IMO! 😇

To me they are good because I can actually see my world and not be looking through a glass darkly. Maybe an age thing but as I get older I find I need the increased lighting to be able too see everything. I highly doubt I am alone in that.

Edited by Arielle Popstar

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:

To me they are good because I can actually see my world and not looking be through a glass darkly. Maybe an age thing but as I get older I find I need the increased lighting to be able too see everything. I highly doubt I am alone in that.

there is an exposure slider in grafix prefs. That might come in handy.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Skirt pic bad. Look at the patchy application of "shiny" to it, which effectively blurs out the sequins rather than highlighting them.

Yes but..that COULD be an actually "more realistic" look!

ETA:  I saw a RL example the other day, the music director was wearing a black sequin jacket for the Christmas concert.  I couldn't tell it was sequin most of the time, because only parts of it shined depending on exactly how the light hit it at any moment.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, arton Rotaru said:

there is an exposure slider in grafix prefs. That might come in handy.

Not something I want to have to play with every time I scroll away a little bit. I'm not a graphics artist who like playing with these settings all day long. I am just a resident who wants to come in world and chat with friends, go to clubs, shop and dress up. Fine tuning my world just to be able to see should not be the default.

Edited by Arielle Popstar
clarify

36 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

At this point from what I see they will hopefully fix some of the common windlights like CaiWL and 3 of the Nam's as the PBR viewers, both SL and FS Alpha wash out the avatar as one scrolls away from them.

That's because those substandard EEP's use too much ambience, that's how they "fullbright" away the shadows under your chin cast by your head being in the way of the sunlight.

Easiest fix is don't use those, ever.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Yes but..that COULD be an actually "more realistic" look!

ETA:  I saw a RL example the other day, the music director was wearing a black sequin jacket for the Christmas concert.  I couldn't tell it was sequin most of the time, because only parts of it shined depending on exactly how the light hit it at any moment.

Well, not to my eye it doesn't. But these things are a bit subjective -- and a great many people pay very little attention to such details either. It will impact me as a photographer, however.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Well, not to my eye it doesn't. But these things are a bit subjective -- and a great many people pay very little attention to such details either. It will impact me as a photographer, however.

In my RL example, it was frustrating because I kept looking to see if it was shiny / sequins or not.

Similar SL example is with my favorite coat, which is "velvet" but NOW is shiny from some angles. That's more realistic but hard for me to admit.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

On 12/15/2023 at 10:38 AM, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Yeah yeah, but play what? most Mobile games are dated looking sideways scrollers, or civilisation ripoff ISO view settlement games, that look like they were made in the 90's..

You won't see high end games with fancy graphics, and multi GB installs, no Total War, no Call of Duty, no GTA 6, or RDR 2, no Skyrim.

Sorry to bring this back up, but this misinformation is bothering me. You can play Call of Duty and Black Desert on mobile. Black Desert has a 10GB install. Mobiles designed to accommodate modern graphics are old news.  

The main issue with mobiles is the limited control system. You've only got a screen and gyro, making complex interactive systems difficult to implement. But Second Life isn't about gameplay systems or mechanics, for most players it's essentially a walking simulator, building/housing/decor simulator, dressup game, and social/chat client - all of which are ideal for mobile play. Second Life is actually, in theory, a great mobile app. If they can get it functioning in a reasonably useable state is a different question entirely, however.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
2 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well let me do some womansplainin'...

See lots of people just bring in stuff from 3D websites, not bothering to reduce the complexity. Some of these people aren't even residents really and don't care abut SL or art either...they're just out for the big bucks.

But we have our fellow merchants...truly SL citizens..slaving away in Blender and providing for us -- they are the ones advertising "original mesh".

Expand  

Yeah, I get that, I suppose. But I tend to evaluate items on an individual basis. And how well optimized it is is part of that, obviously.

I get the "support local artisans" thing, totally, but a really beautiful garment using commercial mesh can still reflect that. I have a "Viking" gown that was obviously created using commercial mesh -- in fact, I even own the full-perm mesh myself! -- but the texturing is superb, and it's a vastly nicer looking piece than I would likely have been able to produce myself. It's gorgeous. And that too, the texturing, is also a reflection of individual artistry.

Yeah I get that about the texturing -- at least via working on the garment themselves some of the residents of SL are involved here as part of the process, a part of 'us'.

I'm pretty hostile to outside influence and have an amazing amount of loyalty to SL really.  Part of that is due to my encounters with outsiders (usually corporations) who came to SL early on and tried to take advantage of creators in order to make a buck, basically trying to get us to do their projects for beans. Not all were like that though, but enough were that it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Many were very disrespectful and thought themselves to be better than us residents, almost as if they gifted us with their very presence, and only they were valid as they came from a so-called 'real world'.

I dislike it too when someone touts that they are a musician in RL, or an artist in RL, as if to make themselves more valid. Some are just stating fact, of course, but some really believe they are better than those in SL who don't do these activities in 'real life'. There are some pretty damn good artists and musicians in SL who have never done a thing in that so-called 'real life'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

And some of the "problems" here come down to not knowing how things work, which for some people will be a learning process and for others, dare I say it, a case of, "Dinnae mess wi' things ye ken nothin' about."

agree. This is pretty much me

i do try to read and understand release notes, wiki documentation and user group transcripts but yeah, with graphics a lot of it just goes over my head. I have to see to know it

who knew that Screen Space Reflections is not the same as them other Reflection thingies ? Not me. Arton knew tho, and now I know

i have learned more about what I am seeing from this thread than I have from the other sources, altho tbf those other sources are now starting to make more sense, but yeah that wouldn't have happened if I had been left to my own. So thankyou people !

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, elleevelyn said:

who knew that Screen Space Reflections is not the same as them other Reflection thingies ? Not me. Arton knew tho, and now I know

This is SSR (Screen Space Reflections) in action. See my avatar in the mirror? Quite a bit sharper than the reflections we saw before in that mirror. However, as the name suggests, my avatar has to be on screen as well to be reflected in the mirror.

SSR_001.thumb.png.5aabf81e3a389e1860b20f2a82521125.png

This does also only work at such grazing angles.

Edited by arton Rotaru
LOL The snapshot floater didn't capture the SSR.
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Yes, there are problems with the viewer, but they're being fixed pretty quickly and to be honest I'm adopting it a lot faster than the original materials viewer, which broke a lot of things with lighting in the first few iterations. And some of the "problems" here come down to not knowing how things work, which for some people will be a learning process and for others, dare I say it, a case of, "Dinnae mess wi' things ye ken nothin' about."

I am sure you're probably right about this.

But I have to say, I spent a fair amount of time yesterday trying to get a handle on various elements of PBR: texturing, reflection probes, adjusting EEP, etc. And it was immensely frustrating.

But also, as you suggest, a learning process. I DO have a better understanding of this stuff now, and an increased competence in how to use it. And I'm sure as I continue to delve into it, that will increase.

Fortunately, I think we have some time to adapt here, although regular users of the LL viewer are perhaps in for a more immediate shock. I do worry, though, that an awful lot of people, including some creators, are going to fall into the "dinnae mess wi'" crowd . . . which is understandable: as I discovered yesterday, there is a not inconsiderable learning curve.

I think LL should be putting a bit more effort into providing, and more importantly disseminating widely, some very simple guidelines as to how to make this all work. The wiki page is really not a substitute for that.

27 minutes ago, arton Rotaru said:

This is SSR (Screen Space Reflections) in action. See my avatar in the mirror? Quite a bit sharper than the reflections we saw before in that mirror. However, as the name suggests, my avatar has to be on screen as well to be reflected in the mirror.

SSR_001.thumb.png.5aabf81e3a389e1860b20f2a82521125.png

This does also only work at such grazing angles.

Google failed to find recent posts. Can you lead me to the difference in "how to do this"?

I assume it's all in the "reflection probe" settings...?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Google failed to find recent posts. Can you lead me to the difference in "how to do this"?

I assume it's all in the "reflection probe" settings...?

You find it in the graphics prefs. Then it is just a matter of rezzing a prim, blank texture, tint color black, adding a blank specular map, set Glossiness and Environment to 255. Setting up a manual reflection probe around it does help to get a clearer over all picture indeed.

SSR-Setting.png.1ed6a7bba8ed327f1db2d28113b08015.png

Edited by arton Rotaru
Oops that was the wrong checkbox. Time togo to bed I guess.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, arton Rotaru said:

This is SSR (Screen Space Reflections) in action.

i was in the public sandbox yesterday and there was this ginormous mirror glass tower building that a person was making, which was reflecting the sky and clouds moving

was pretty amazing to see. I loved it. Not sure who else is gunna find it amazing if these buildings start going up on mainland. But yeah! I loved it. I might want one of them because shiny !!

i never snapped a pic of it as while public sandbox I kinda like to respect the builders in these spaces. Is not for me to publicly publish their works in progress

so that mirror glass tower was SSR yes ? or is it not necessary and mirror glass towers can be done without SSR ?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, elleevelyn said:

i was in the public sandbox yesterday and there was this ginormous mirror glass tower building that a person was making, which was reflecting the sky and clouds moving

was pretty amazing to see. I loved it. Not sure who else is gunna find it amazing if these buildings start going up on mainland. But yeah! I loved it. I might want one of them because shiny !!

i never snapped a pic of it as while public sandbox I kinda like to respect the builders in these spaces. Is not for me to publicly publish their works in progress

so that mirror glass tower was SSR yes ? or is it not necessary and mirror glass towers can be done without SSR ?

No SSR needed for such stuff. The main purpose of SSR in SL was to get nice reflections on water. But... yeah...