Cross Posting... Love it or Hate it?

SandorWren

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 315 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Pretty sure that my comment to him about posting a link to an adult picture in a non-adult picture thread is exactly what prompted this thread.

IMO, posting links to adult content in non-adult thread is not appropriate, but it is also a form of cross-posting -- post the picture in one place and then post links to it in other places.  Not really much different from posting the same picture in multiple threads (which some folks do and I've only sometimes commented on the practice).

No. Your comment was about cross posting. That's what prompted me to create this thread. You didn't say it was because I linked to an adult thread. You should have. Really, you should have sent me PM and told me it's not appropriate, and we could have all avoided this drama. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Bagnu said:

Really, you should have sent me PM and told me it's not appropriate, and we could have all avoided this drama. 

Some things are comments that I think everyone should see -- specifically so that they know my opinion on the matter in general.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Oh, if the thread is about cross-posting between General and Adult areas, then yeah I also agree - not a fan.

I don't visit adult photo threads and have no interest in them (I see enough of all that just navigating Flickr fashion groups), so I wouldn't appreciate getting redirected into one when I'm just chillin' and browsing pics over in General Discussion or Your Avatar or something.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

There's an interesting variation which I shall call, "NOT cross-posting".

This is where two avatars are in the same place together in a photo session, and they each post pictures of the session from different perspectives.

I think some of the Forum users do a great job with this.  It adds some often-missing immersion!

This what Scylla and I are planning to do taking pics of Cinny. And what Cinny and I have done with our pics. It really IS fun to compare the different approaches, and results!!!

• Like 2

Depends on what it is, really. If it's a selfie that someone puts both in How Does Your Avatar Look Today and What Does Your Avatar Look Like Now within the span of a minute, it's a little annoying as they're both on the same board and it's just an obvious carpet bombing run for attention.

As for linking to a pic in the adult section in a different part of the forum as a means to re-post .. That's basically same as above, and just questionable behaviour in general. 

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Some things are comments that I think everyone should see -- specifically so that they know my opinion on the matter in general.

If you would have said it was because of adult material, that would have been different. But you didn't. I would have asked others about it for sure in PM or IM, but I would have publicly stated you're right.  I won't argue a case where I know I'm wrong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, Orwar said:

Depends on what it is, really. If it's a selfie that someone puts both in How Does Your Avatar Look Today and What Does Your Avatar Look Like Now within the span of a minute, it's a little annoying as they're both on the same board and it's just an obvious carpet bombing run for attention.

As for linking to a pic in the adult section in a different part of the forum as a means to re-post .. That's basically same as above, and just questionable behaviour in general. 

My behaviour is always questionable, but it wasn't intentional.

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

I was actually trying to follow the rules of not posting adult content in a "G" rated section. I didn't know that posting a link would be considered the same. I've done it before, and no one said anything. The rules here are apparently far more constrictive than I would ever have figured. 

Your comment, and your posting of a link to adult material here, suggests that you aren't actually "getting it," and think of the restriction against adult content here as a sort of irksome, annoying, and unreasonable constraint. That's not what this is about.

What this is about, as I've had occasion to say before, is empowering forum users. You are permitted to post adult content on these forums. Just not here. And people who want to view adult content know where to go to find it. You're no more being "constricted" here than you are in RL when you are told you can't walk around in public with your **** hanging out. There are places you can do that, but defining those places empowers those who don't want to see your **** (or your adult pics).

It's a win-win system: you can post adult stuff, but people who don't want to be exposed to it don't have to be. It empowers me AND you.

Trying to find ways around a system that is designed to give me and others the choice about what we view is, really, showing disrespect to our choices, and essentially working to undermine our ability to choose. Please stop doing that.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5

38 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

No. Your comment was about cross posting. That's what prompted me to create this thread. You didn't say it was because I linked to an adult thread. You should have. Really, you should have sent me PM and told me it's not appropriate, and we could have all avoided this drama. 

Then we couldn't have this insightful discussion! If you see this as all about "your" actions, then maybe it's a good learning opportunity. But I've seen many examples that fit into the OP which weren't Bagnu-related. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

If you would have said it was because of adult material, that would have been different. But you didn't. I would have asked others about it for sure in PM or IM, but I would have publicly stated you're right.  I won't argue a case where I know I'm wrong.

It wasn't just about the link being to an adult picture. That, in general, I do consider inappropriate. 

However the original comment was mainly about posting any link to a post in another thread as cross-posting, especially when said link to the other thread is just to garner attention to another photo (as opposed to posting a link to something as a referral type post).

The comment was made publicly because I wanted it to be public.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

There's an interesting variation which I shall call, "NOT cross-posting".

This is where two avatars are in the same place together in a photo session, and they each post pictures of the session from different perspectives.

I think some of the Forum users do a great job with this.  It adds some often-missing immersion!

Yes. I like seeing those kinds of pictures too. Not only do they show different angles, they often show different lighting and environment settings.

• Thanks 1

SL is the epitome of vain.

I heard this thing on TV that when we see a picture of our lover part of our brain is activated and makes hormones.  I'm pretty sure that happens to our brain when we look at a picture of our SL other half too.  Hence why we love to put pictures of them in our profiles, on the wall of the SL house and on the forums.  The thing is no one else gets the same warm fuzzy feeling from the picture.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

My behaviour is always questionable, but it wasn't intentional.

It wasn't a unique incident. There's been several over the years I've been here, sometimes people drop a Flickr link to something outright prawnographic and just remove the embedding - that, in my opinion, is no different. 

Those are especially annoying though as the URL doesn't actually tell you anything about what kind of content it might be as it's just a generic link with a random number, and sometimes the embedding just fails, so one might click those links out of curiosity without expecting to be flashed with NSFW stuffs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Yes. I like seeing those kinds of pictures too. Not only do they show different angles, they often show different lighting and environment settings.

And by "immersion", in part I mean - I ended up convinced its two different users (not 2 Alts) based on picture composition quality, etc. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Your comment, and your posting of a link to adult material here, suggests that you aren't actually "getting it," and think of the restriction against adult content here as a sort of irksome, annoying, and unreasonable constraint. That's not what this is about.

What this is about, as I've had occasion to say before, is empowering forum users. You are permitted to post adult content on these forums. Just not here. And people who want to view adult content know where to go to find it. You're no more being "constricted" here than you are in RL when you are told you can't walk around in public with your **** hanging out. There are places you can do that, but defining those places empowers those who don't want to see your **** (or your adult pics).

It's a win-win system: you can post adult stuff, but people who don't want to be exposed to it don't have to be. It empowers me AND you.

Trying to find ways around a system that is designed to give me and others the choice about what we view is, really, showing disrespect to our choices, and essentially working to undermine our ability to choose. Please stop doing that.

I'm not arguing the point. I sincerely DID NOT KNOW!!! I will make it clear if I am linking to the adult section in the future. I linked to a pic which was a part of how my SL life looked at the time. I truly had no desire to break any rules, or to make anyone uncomfortable.

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

And by "immersion", in part I mean - I ended up convinced its two different users (not 2 Alts) based on picture composition quality, etc. 

Are you suggesting that @Cinnamon Mistwood and I are the same person? She's the only one I've ever taken pics with (she took her own shots) that are posted here. If that's what you're thinking, you really have NO idea how much that makes me laugh!!!

Edited by Bagnu

20 minutes ago, Bagnu said:

Are you suggesting that @Cinnamon Mistwood and I are the same person? She's the only one I've ever taken pics with (she took her own shots) that are posted here. If that's what you're thinking, you really have NO idea how much that makes me laugh!!!

I don't think any reasonable person would think that you and Cinnamon were the same person. Your posting styles, as well as your photography styles, are very different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

31 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

I don't think any reasonable person would think that you and Cinnamon were the same person. Your posting styles, as well as your photography styles, are very different.

The only other person I regularly post pics wth is my SL wife Caitlin, and Cinnamon is friends with her too inworld. But Cat doesn't post on the forums. If Love thinks I am an alt of either one of them, he is very sadly mistaken.

Edited by Bagnu

26 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

It isn't totally unreasonable, if you're familiar with the persona of Pearl. 

It's not very difficult to portray two or more personas in the form of text, nor to take pictures in more than one style. 

With that in mind .. Meh, it's quite inconsequential, and a rather unconvincing hypothesis. Just like how a bunch of us supposedly are different manifestations of Rowan's imagination, or whatever it was.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

1 minute ago, Orwar said:

It's not very difficult to portray two or more personas in the form of text, nor to take pictures in more than one style. 

With that in mind .. Meh, it's quite inconsequential, and a rather unconvincing hypothesis. Just like how a bunch of us supposedly are different manifestations of Rowan's imagination, or whatever it was.

Photo style is like a fingerprint. It's POSSIBLE to mimic it, but Cinny has been in SL for 13 years 6 months; 4960 days . I've only been here for 3 years 8 months; 1364 days. l would have to be HER alt to make that possible. Seriously, no reasonable person would think that I'm her alt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Orwar said:

Anyone that has known Cinnamon for the many years that she  was here before the Pearl debacle, would cringe at the thought.    🤣

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 315 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.