"Cursed" Things in Second Life (Objects / Land / Houses / Items / Avatars / Clothing / Viewers / Behavior / etc.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 168 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

It remained like that for several months before finally Guy Linden happened by and decided to tidy up the mess by deleting all the parcels back into the main Gov Linden owned plot.

Thank you Guy.

One of my Dealings with Guy, he was still wearing his 'Janitor' group tag. He must have immeasurable patience.

GuyLIndenJanitorcopy.jpg.0085bc87d0d716eaa3037341693d3145.jpg

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I actually have a great example of a cursed thing in SL, but it's not a software bug, a group breakage, or anything like that. I can be literally anywhere at all, my home sim, an empty region somewhere, and it can have no traffic at all for even an hour or more, but the moment I decide to play dress-up, and am in the middle of an outfit, someone will appear.

This is not the full curse, though. When someone randomly appears right in the middle of me thinking it was safe to be in the middle of changing clothes, and I click on an outfit and choose Replace Current Outfit, it ALWAYS stalls out and ends up leaving me naked. It will, without fail, take at least three attempts to get it to work, and half the time I end up wearing half of one outfit and half of another.

This ONLY happens when I decide it's fine to work on an outfit because nobody is around and it doesn't look like anyone is going to come traipsing through any time soon. Boom, people show up, boom, Outfits folder acts stupid.

Like how you only forget someone's name when it's important to remember it. But naked. That is my SL curse.

Edited by PheebyKatz
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

13 minutes ago, PheebyKatz said:

I actually have a great example of a cursed thing in SL, but it's not a software bug, a group breakage, or anything like that. I can be literally anywhere at all, my home sim, an empty region somewhere, and it can have no traffic at all for even an hour or more, but the moment I decide to play dress-up, and am in the middle of an outfit, someone will appear.

This is not the full curse, though. When someone randomly appears right in the middle of me thinking it was safe to be in the middle of changing clothes, and I click on an outfit and choose Replace Current Outfit, it ALWAYS stalls out and ends up leaving me naked. It will, without fail, take at least three attempts to get it to work, and half the time I end up wearing half of one outfit and half of another.

This ONLY happens when I decide it's fine to work on an outfit because nobody is around and it doesn't look like anyone is going to come traipsing through any time soon. Boom, people show up, boom, Outfits folder acts stupid.

Like how you only forget someone's name when it's important to remember it. But naked. That is my SL curse.

Sounds useful if you ever get lonely!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Sounds useful if you ever get lonely!

Actually, it's something I recommend to anyone who has problems finding and meeting people inworld. It's exploitable. Just pick a lonely sim, find a spot to lurk out of the way somewhere, and try to be totally alone. You have to really want to be alone to make it work. If you can get preoccupied with something to the point of not looking at the mini map, all the better. Like working on an outfit. People will appear, and you will end up talking to them if you don't run away naked.

It's the same psychology as when you're waiting on the bus to come, and it's taking forever. Just decide that it's a good thing the bus hasn't come, because now you can open that can of pop and have some! Boom, the bus will appear out of nowhere. Sorry, no open food or drink allowed on the bus. It only works if you sincerely want the opposite.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Another "cursed" item I have from years ago is a favorite prim build, by Donk Kongo. (I had a lot of his builds, he's long gone but still has 2 items in the MP.)

There's an unintentionally "phantom" prim in one spot that resulted in avatars falling through the floor. 

Donk himself came out to inspect it and declared that it was a "bug", since the prim was never set to phantom. 

Of course in retrospect, just cover that spot with an invisible non-phantom prim..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Last year I bought a really cool-looking and inexpensive witch cottage. I adore it. 

It had an upper gable area that there was no way into. Meant to be decorative, but I wanted to use the space. No problem, thinks me! I'll just put in some TP buttons. But every time I tried to TP up there, it would yeet me back to the first floor. I could rez furniture upstairs and sit in it, but if I stood up, yeet again. Turns out part of that area was convex hull, and it took me a while to suss out which bit, and then I had to put an invisible prim somewhere else to not go sticking through the roof. But by the time I was done, I really loved that house lol. I'd made it my own.

Bonus, it helped me figure out what was happening when a more recent purchase acted up in the same way.

Edited by BookishMelinoe
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Missy Starchild said:

It's beyond cursed when you load into an area, and for a little bit it's nothing but a bunch of floating heads and body parts, then everyone loads but the texture mapping hasn't kicked in yet so their faces are on backwards and stretched. 

I'm happy when it's only heads...when there are other body parts flying around, massive in size, then my brain crashes 😭

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/7/2023 at 8:35 PM, Missy Starchild said:

It's beyond cursed when you load into an area, and for a little bit it's nothing but a bunch of floating heads and body parts, then everyone loads but the texture mapping hasn't kicked in yet so their faces are on backwards and stretched. 

Lol, I get that a LOT! Especially the EvoX Horror as I call it...

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I had a "cannot unsee" experience many years ago, that surely was of something cursed:  a small avatar (tiny? dinky?) in some shop, in a cage hanging from the ceiling.

Nightmare fuel.

Now, I realize that may have been an early "bot" or something, like an avatar who was "away".  But in my mind, it was an avatar being held in a cage against their will.  (Somehow being tiny, in a cage hung from the ceiling, made it more cursed.)

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Crawdad Inlet is beyond cursed today it seems. Haven't seen this many crashes in such a short time since someone went loose with a nuclear bazooka during a building class back in '16.

• Like 1

Viterbo water region in North Nautilus. It is an open water region with shell like fantasy structures under the water.

Some people can travel through it like it is any other region, but for lots of us the region crossing into there have our cameras flying through space until the vehicle leaves the region and the camera snaps back like nothing happened. The region has always been like it. I am sure the structures and bubble scripts there work fine on other regions.... So whatever is going on there defies the normal, the natural. It is cursed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This happened a few days ago. So my viewer hadn't correctly loaded everything yet, and while I was idling at a beach someone who hadn't undressed himself rezzed at the landing pad. So what I saw for about three minutes were these giant pants obscuring my view of absolutely everything.

I hovered my mouse over the center, and to my surprise, a name showed up indicating there was a person in there! Poor guy got eaten by his own pair of pants 😔

Edited by Missy Starchild
Grammar
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Missy Starchild said:

This happened a few days ago. So my viewer hadn't correctly loaded everything yet, and while I was idling at a beach someone who hadn't undressed himself rezzed at the landing pad. So what I saw for about three minutes were these giant pants obscuring my view of absolutely everything.

I hovered my mouse over the center, and to my surprise, a name showed up indicating there was a person in there! Poor guy got eaten by his own pair of pants 😔

Bonus: From a "cursed" child's story (!!) by Dr. Seuss..

Dr. Seuss quote: "I said, "I do not fear those pants with nobody inside them." I said, and said, and said those words. I said them but I lied them. "

I thought the story was called, "The pants with nobody inside them", but apparently it is, "What was I scared of?"

• Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 168 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.