Having problems with BOM

Possum888

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 184 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I’m sure I ‘m not the first person to have this problem, but I’ve looked at all the hints and so on that I can find about how to use BOM, and I still can’t figure out what I’m doing wrong.  When I don’t have BOM activated in the Maitreya HUD, everything looks fine, but every time I try to activate it, my skin goes all plain and my genitalia disappear.  It also accentuates the existing difference in skin colour between my head and body.  I’ve tried experimenting with alphas, because I thought that might help, but it didn’t.  I don’t know what else to do.

I’m wearing a Maitreya Lara Mesh Body - V5.3, an [ODIO] BINU SKIN - Dark Tone 1 (it has one of those tattoo type symbols in the inventory) and a Lelutka EvoX CEYLON 3.1 head.  I’m not using any alphas other than one for the system eyes.

Any ideas out there?  Please?

• Like 1

So the head and the body have separate skins? It didn't say that when I got the skin.  Are there any places that have matching head and body skins for sale?

The last time I was on SL was before BOM.  This is turning out to be harder than I thought.  It can't be that hard though if so many people can do it.

48 minutes ago, Possum888 said:

Are there any places that have matching head and body skins for sale?

Many places do. Many creators also make head skins in Velour (it's a skin brand) tones, means you get face skin from them, and body skin at Velour store. But if you want to keep your Odio skin, then their skins are located in the corner between female skins and makeup, at the bottom.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone.  It looks like my best option is to get a body skin from the ODIO shop to match my head skin.  I'll do that as soon as I get dressed - I was standing at a nude beach (not the sort of place I usually visit) experimenting to see if I could get it right last time I logged in.......

It's all a bit confusing now, since a skin do not have to be a "skin", and the tattoo layer has taken the role of the old skins.

The majority of skin creators has split up in 1: Faces and 2: Bodies. Some does not like to work with the body, they will concentrate all time on the face. They prefer to spend all their time on it. And the ones who do the opposite, they do not sell much when they make faces, but they make body skins instead.

I do not see it as a problem, since I can have one body skin and swap the face. Or keep the face and get another body skin. The neck fixes that you get in a lot of stores, allow you to mix and match even more. You can have a face skin in a tone, and you can use a slightly different tone of body skin, and the neck fix blends it so it work together without an obvious seam in the neck. (Universal neck)

In my opinion, is is both cheaper and more versatile in the long run.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well, I went back to their shop and got the demo of the body skin but I was still having the same problem, so I found a place that sold matching head and body skins in one package (Called enLight MD/ND or something like that), tried out a demo and everything worked as it should, so I tried on all the tones and went back to buy the one I liked best.

It wasn't as if I was particularly attached to the skin I already had (that would sound weird if you didn't know I was talking about SL!) so getting another one wasn't a big deal - after all, I only had the ODIO one because it was recommended in the style card for my shape.

Edited by Possum888
  • Like 2

Sounds like you got yourself sorted, good! The whole BoM thing can be mighty confusing when you first start but once it clicks it's all good.

One other thing to be aware of. As others have pointed out, lots of places sell both head and body skins to lessen the issues in matching head and body. TheSkinnery, for example, sells skins for many brands of heads (with a focus on Lelutka) as well as. a line of body skins for all the major bodies. Other places do this as well.

The issue comes when a place sells two or three different lines of body skins like Velour. When you're there shopping for, say. a head, pay careful attention in the demo head skin which of their body lines they support.

Some places are starting to see entire combos now. Sessions has an "upscale line" of head/body shapes that includes the matching body skin. Sort of an all in one package.

And for neck seams, the other way is to fiddle with your neck size in the Advanced part of the Maitreya HUD. There are two setting with two parameters each, so 4 different neck fits. You sometimes have to click on each one looking closely at your neck to see which one is the best fit and the least seam.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I did try looking around Velour, but I gave up because I found the place too confusing.  The place I ended up getting it from had all you needed in one package rather than having to go all over the shop picking up bits and pieces, plus it wasn't very expensive (I think it was L$699 or thereabouts).

The neck seam is hardly noticeable at all, so I don't think I'll worry about it.  In any case, I don't want to go looking at advanced features of HUDs when I don't fully understand the basic features.......

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Possum888 said:

Well, I went back to their shop and got the demo of the body skin but I was still having the same problem, so I found a place that sold matching head and body skins in one package (Called enLight MD/ND or something like that), tried out a demo and everything worked as it should, so I tried on all the tones and went back to buy the one I liked best.

It wasn't as if I was particularly attached to the skin I already had (that would sound weird if you didn't know I was talking about SL!) so getting another one wasn't a big deal - after all, I only had the ODIO one because it was recommended in the style card for my shape.

ND/MD are nice skins imo and yeah, they tend to sell them with face and body which is also nice. I guess the other brands make a big deal of the different options for body skins but meh. Generally you will see 'tones' in the name of the skin which is what you want to match between face and body, unfortunately the system is different between each brand where some use names, some use numbers etc. Just a confusing mess but I guess that's just the nature of having so much choice.

My only gripe with ND/MD is some of their face skins contain far too much dark shading for my tastes but not all, some are more suited to certain (Lelutka) heads as well but that is face skins in general, gotta find the one that works for you.

As far as the neck setting in the Maitreya HUD it's not difficult, 'Advanced' tab and it's at the lower right of the screen. I believe you want Type 1 '0' for a Lelutka head but just click the buttons until the neck seam completely disappears, ND/MD skins have no visible seam with Lelutka/Lara 5.3 if this setting is correct and you can't break anything by pressing buttons :)

Edited by AmeliaJ08
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 184 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.