What if houses were... free?

bateliii

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 235 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

There also many people like me that let friends and family live on their land rent free and I often pick up stray newbies and let them stay at the main house for a few months while they find their sl feet (totally selfish of me I will add as I believe it helps retention if they have somewhere to base themselves when starting out and more people in sl is a positive for me)

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, KanryDrago said:

There also many people like me that let friends and family live on their land rent free and I often pick up stray newbies and let them stay at the main house for a few months while they find their sl feet (totally selfish of me I will add as I believe it helps retention if they have somewhere to base themselves when starting out and more people in sl is a positive for me)

Good point.  I also let friends (SL "family" close friends) rez homes on my land when I had a full Region.

ETA: With that info, good advice could be to "make some really good friends".

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Like 1

There are a whole lot of places that cost even under $50l a week,  and it's pretty easy to make that doing all kinds of things in sl. You don't even necessarily have to be GOOD at any of them. Even the fishing, coin hunting, gathering, farming, and other such things can earn you some money. It's not a lot, but if you can earn at least $25L a week doing it, with minimal work I might add, you can get yourself a nice little skybox dirt cheap. Keep doing it and you'll earn more and eventually you can move out of the quaint little home, into something bigger. 

All of those sl jobs that say you need a "nice avatar", ignore them, because nice is pretty subjective. I've seen some of these people that work those jobs, nice is definitely subjective.

Now there are a bunch of free bodies, heads, clothes, shoes and ways to glam up, glitz out, buff or whatever else you need to do to make an avatar look really good. Even system avs look way better today than they did in 2009, without having to spend a single real life cent (or your equivalent). Still, most places you can get a starter job, the main requirement they have is your av's age. That makes sense though, as in those first 30-ish days, you may decide sl isn't for you, then you'll leave them in a jam if you leave. Spend your first 30, 60, even 90 days figuring sl out, making your avatar, exploring, deciding if you want to stay here more permanently or not.

A "physical house" is the least of anyone's problems when they first come into sl. 

I spent my first year or two in SL with no house and was pretty unbothered by it. Once my partner let me have a skybox on her land, though, I realized I needed one and I've consistently rented somewhere ever since then. Newbies might not realize how nice it actually is to have a place to call your own until they have one.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 235 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.