Unashamedly Bots

Phil Deakins

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 255 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If Bots are "unashamed" and/or "unabashed", why do they wear clothing?  Huh? Huh?

To artificially inflate that clothing's ranking in other bots' snoopy databases.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, ArtCurator said:

Perhaps they're new users trying to figure out how to change their avatar look? Trying to change the senra look? Other than to be mentors to new users, I don't know why "bots" in a welcome hub would benefit anyone other than maybe making the welcome hub looking "busier" than it really is? Do welcome hubs even show up in traffic counters? I don't think I've seen welcome hubs in any top parcel searches...

Bots or rather, avatars logged in using one of the bot systems, often appear as orange clouds or invisible.  That ALL of them in the picture are invisible is an indication that this might be the case.   People create them for whatever purpose but haven't moved them to some other place.  I didn't say it was benefiting anyone nor does it matter.  I'm just saying LL needs to address them piling up at the Welcome areas.  I think it would be disconcerting to actual new users if they saw a bunch of orange clouds or name tags without avatars.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Bots or rather, avatars logged in using one of the bot systems, often appear as orange clouds or invisible.  That ALL of them in the picture are invisible is an indication that this might be the case.   People create them for whatever purpose but haven't moved them to some other place.  I didn't say it was benefiting anyone nor does it matter.  I'm just saying LL needs to address them piling up at the Welcome areas.  I think it would be disconcerting to actual new users if they saw a bunch of orange clouds or name tags without avatars.  

I could probably start a fight here by stating that new users should see white clouds instead of orange clouds.

Edited by Ardy Lay
added the word see

22 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I doubt the Bots "want" to be in the Welcome Hub, unless their owners want to scan new users there.

Irony: Bots taking up available slots (and resources) for actual users in the first place those users will experience Second Life.

I'd like to see what Welcome Hubs are maxed out at 100 avis, preventing truly new users from entering. The only places I've seen been locked out of entering for the sim being too full is at shopping events and major events in sl like SLB sims. The biggest complaint I see from new users is "how EMPTY sl seems to be." If that's the case, where are bots taking up "precious resources" from sims?

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

1 Registered Agent ("bot") takes up 1 avatar's worth of resources. 

If a sim owners chooses to park registered scripted agents on their own sim, (keep in mind registered scripted agents don't count as traffic) unless they are doing nefarious actions like spamming, phishing, etc, why is it other people's place to denounce that?

23 minutes ago, ArtCurator said:
29 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

1 Registered Agent ("bot") takes up 1 avatar's worth of resources. 

If a sim owners chooses to park registered scripted agents on their own sim, (keep in mind registered scripted agents don't count as traffic) unless they are doing nefarious actions like spamming, phishing, etc, why is it other people's place to denounce that?

I was not denouncing the situation you referred to. I am just answering to be polite, at this point. 

There are many, many pages of discussions on Bots. 

Edited by Love Zhaoying

6 hours ago, Ardy Lay said:

I could probably start a fight here by stating that new users should see white clouds instead of orange clouds.

Don't people logged into the official SLV see white clouds for people who haven't rendered yet? Orange clouds are what people logged into Firestorm see as people who haven't rendered yet.

9 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Related to one of those big palm trees, a palmetto, I assume?

Yes, palmetto's have spiny leaves that will pierce your skin if you don't watch out.  That's why they are named "palmetto", you're most likely to end up bleeding from your palms.

I hope you didn't think I was making a pun on "stigmata"!

2 hours ago, ArtCurator said:

Don't people logged into the official SLV see white clouds for people who haven't rendered yet? Orange clouds are what people logged into Firestorm see as people who haven't rendered yet.

And new people.know this how?   You are missing the point entirely but that's ok.  Lots.of people do.

ETA...the ones I'm talking about are not clouds but invisible.  A mentor even went to look and saw the same as me.  Nametags, no avatars.  

Edited by Rowan Amore

1 hour ago, ArtCurator said:

White is the original recipe, yes.  Sometimes I like to mess with Firestorm users by wearing nothing but the particle system prototype for the incomplete avatar cloud because then I show up as a white cloud with an egg inside which confuses the hell out of some people.

Edited by Ardy Lay
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Sounds like a noob in a mesh avi, with a full body alpha layer, who took off the mesh and didn't remove the alpha.

See the picture I posted.  All were invisible.and none responded when IMed.  They were all in a dressing room that showed as vacant.  The mentor did get in touch with a mole who said they had been moved there to.clear them from the landing zone.  The original 4 were.there for at least 2 days not having moved.

4 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

See the picture I posted.  All were invisible.and none responded when IMed.  They were all in a dressing room that showed as vacant.  The mentor did get in touch with a mole who said they had been moved there to.clear them from the landing zone.  The original 4 were.there for at least 2 days not having moved.

Well the invisible thing means either wearing a full body alpha layer, or...

Using a client SO old, that it doesn't accept that system layers are no longer delivered via UDP.

So at their end they are stuck with "system layers not found" for system skin, eyebrow shaper & hair, eyes and shape.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 255 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.