Here's a random question from the past

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 278 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Does anyone remember the green lantern corp? I remember they were pretty active during the PN griefing days and considered themselves as a sort of anti griefing police force. Whatever happened to them? Obviously they must have disbanded many years ago, any ex members or in the know peeps in the forum that want to give us a history lesson?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Does anyone remember the green lantern corp? I remember they were pretty active during the PN griefing days and considered themselves as a sort of anti griefing police force. Whatever happened to them? Obviously they must have disbanded many years ago, any ex members or in the know peeps in the forum that want to give us a history lesson?

From the SL History lessons I've had from oldbies, I remember that the "Griefer Lantern Craps" managed to get them self banned from the grid just like their arch enemies, the "Pestrionic N-Words", and for pretty much the same reasons.

"Anti Griefer-Club Clubs" are "Griefer-Clubs".

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

For questions about SL's murky past, there's the Fandom site (née wikia), which has a page on The Green Lanterns in SL, the The Green Lantern Corps Headquarters in Stillman (nothing to see there), and Justice League Unlimited which may be related, or not, I can't remember. All I remember is a glowing green haze of role-played self-righteousness.

This is the sort of thing for which the SL Universe archive would be invaluable, if only it existed.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

For questions about SL's murky past, there's the Fandom site (née wikia), which has a page on The Green Lanterns in SL, the The Green Lantern Corps Headquarters in Stillman (nothing to see there), and Justice League Unlimited which may be related, or not, I can't remember. All I remember is a glowing green haze of role-played self-righteousness.

This is the sort of thing for which the SL Universe archive would be invaluable, if only it existed.

JLU tried to defend RedZone.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Not only self righteousness but self adulation. I remember them trying to turn a brief chat with a Governance team member into saying that they had Linden Lab's endorsement. Their (former? I am not sure) leader is still active in SL.

4 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

A very sad loss indeed.

I remember when Ebbe became CEO he posted in SLU first. Several of us had to go and poke him about the fact Linden Lab had a perfectly good Forum over here. But perhaps he went there first because people could speak openly there about their concerns. They could raise issues that normally would have been quickly moderated here.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

NWNs has an article on them from 2006, and support they gave to a region that was raising awareness of the atrocities in Darfur.

https://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2006/05/guarding_darfur.html

I seem to remember that at some point it came out that some/a few/one or two of the JLU were not only friendly with some griefers; they were the griefers in many cases. It's how they drummed up business to make themselves look "legitimate". Turns out they were just as bad as RedZone. They used RedZone knowing what it did.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I seem to remember that at some point it came out that some/a few/one or two of the JLU were not only friendly with some griefers; they were the griefers in many cases. It's how they drummed up business to make themselves look "legitimate". Turns out they were just as bad as RedZone. They used RedZone knowing what it did.

I was gonna say the same exact thing, they were just as bad and as creepy..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Aethelwine said:

NWNs has an article on them from 2006, and support they gave to a region that was raising awareness of the atrocities in Darfur.

https://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2006/05/guarding_darfur.html

And as you read that article there is a huge red flag that James should have called them out on.

"When the attacks first began, the Green Lantern Core helped them secure the Camp. Their lead officer.....built a security script that scans the identity of avatars who visit, and showed the Better World owners how to read it."

By 2006 visitor trackers were so ubiquitous there would have been no need to "build" one.

Its an example of the self-aggrandizing behavior they engaged in.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Miranda Tretiak said:

Some of them are still around. I don't recall it ever being disbanded but obviously it's not run now how it used to be and I would say those that are still in SL still help out newbies.

https://lanternalliance.com/join.htm

So GL Excelsior did create a new group after all. Good to know he kept his word on that. Hopefully he has kept his word otherwise. 

• Like 2

On 9/13/2023 at 3:59 PM, Qie Niangao said:

Is it not backed up on the wayback? What was the web address, I remember it existing but I wasn't really a forumite at that point.

53 minutes ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

Is it not backed up on the wayback? What was the web address, I remember it existing but I wasn't really a forumite at that point.

The archive is sporadic, and lacks images. The original address was sluniverse.com; I don't remember if there was a /forums after that or not; but plugging that into the wayback machine ought to point you in the right direction at least.

[EDIT] You know what, I"m just gonna do some digging and I'll post the results on Virtualverse one (I suspect we're getting closer to Mole intervention in this thread than I care to risk).

Edited by Harper Held

I take that back -I'm not finding anything worth posting over there; the archive is sporadic and there's a LOT missing. Most importantly almost all of 2010, which is when the JLU brew-ha-ha went down. 

Here's the most useful addresses if anyone else feels like digging their own rabbithole:

https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/general-sl-discussion/

https://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Harper Held said:

I take that back -I'm not finding anything worth posting over there; the archive is sporadic and there's a LOT missing. Most importantly almost all of 2010, which is when the JLU brew-ha-ha went down. 

There's quite a bit backed up, I was just looking through the backup from later in 2010 and im quite a few pages into the general chat and most post pages are backed up and working. I always find it fascinating going back through old forums like this, especially regarding SL. Its interesting seeing some of the things we worried about back then regarding SL and its current (for the time) tech.

I had a look through a 2011 backup and found a post regarding the JLU harvesting peoples IP addresses.

https://web.archive.org/web/20110919054333/http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/general-sl-discussion/63339-jlu-harvesting-ip-addresses.html

I can't say im surprised that these groups turned out the way they did, I remember meeting some of them back in the day. The ones I met seemed okay, friendly enough etc. But most groups from back then that I have heard updates on over the years, always seem to turn out nefarious in some way.

• Thanks 4

That Kal el guy was really creepy from what I remember of the things they were finding out about him during those threads over at SLU.. Like power tripper stuff.. Scary power trip stuff..

To me it felt like they were going into dark web stuff..

ETA: By that I mean RL information not just lining up alts..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

ETA: By that I mean RL information not just lining up alts..

That's about the time that began to be a very real concern, if I remember right; not just with them, and not just with SL but the beginning of the whole internet doxxing trend which Social Media has of course only made much, much worse.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Harper Held said:

That's about the time that began to be a very real concern, if I remember right; not just with them, and not just with SL but the beginning of the whole internet doxxing trend which Social Media has of course only made much, much worse.

I remember being really heavy into the RZ fight. then the forums shutting down for 10 days here because there were so many RZ threads.. Then really spending a lot of time over at SLU and  being in all those threads..

Just seeing how things evolved and how deep that rabbit hole really went..

I was so grateful for the one that made that media filter from over there and seeing it added to the firestorm viewer..

But just really seeing it go from RZ to JLU and The Lanterns and how much security risk there was if any one of these got a hold of you or you ended up on their radar.. By radar I mean if they came after you..

What was amazing is how much resources SLU had as well in the people that were over there.. I was grateful with how much I learned from so many over there.. I still stick to a lot of what I learned for keeping my self protected in here..

A lot of people don't understand just how scary things got..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

That is precisely what they were doing and used RedZone to do it with.

A lot of people don't really know how bad that was in the grand scheme  of things.. The ones that had their alts linked up got off easy compared to what was planned for the ones that actually bought into it..

The information that came up on that guy and listening to what he had planned and laughing about the ones that bought it..  It was just creepy to watch him talking about it in videos and the other info we seen..

The real scary thing about JLU  and the Lanterns was, there was more than one mind at work in JLU and the Lanterns..It was like, they were taking RZ and evolving from that to something way worse.. Just the logs of what that Kal el guy was saying had me creeped out..

Honestly , they had me more creeped out than Z boy did..

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

A lot of people don't really know how bad that was in the grand scheme  of things.. The ones that had their alts linked up got off easy compared to what was planned for the ones that actually bought into it..

The information that came up on that guy and listening to what he had planned and laughing about the ones that bought it..  It was just creepy to watch him talking about it in videos and the other info we seen..

The real scary thing about JLU  and the Lanterns was, there was more than one mind at work in JLU and the Lanterns..It was like, they were taking RZ and evolving from that to something way worse.. Just the logs of what that Kal el guy was saying had me creeped out..

Honestly , they had me more creeped out than Z boy did..

As far as I remember, he didn't compile an entire wikipedia-style database...

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 278 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.