How do I turn it off

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 257 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I’ve had to mute people on account of gesture spam and Spangler shananagans  But I keep seeing that. I think they hide the scripts I’ve entered places I had no idea it was scripted. Maybe I missed something? 

Edited by SpiritSparrow Skydancer
Spanker

Some of them give you the option to turn it off. You'll see something like this in local chat:  

Extender Local Chat: this parcel has active Extender Local Chat, if you want disable for you use /999 off

Not sure if that will simply stop it from broadcasting others chat to you, or will stop your chat being broadcast to everyone else.

Probably a unique take on this, but i've always thought these chat extenders violate privacy, akin to sharing IM's.  Yes, local chat is "public" - but in reality it isn't. If two people are engaged in a local chat conversation 150m away from others, then their conversation is effectively private, because no-one else is within range to hear it.  Chat extenders remove that restriction unnecessarily, and effectively force people into IM's.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Eowyn Southmoor said:

Some of them give you the option to turn it off. You'll see something like this in local chat:  

Extender Local Chat: this parcel has active Extender Local Chat, if you want disable for you use /999 off

Such a device is almost certainly working via llShout or llRegionSay

Neither of which is targeting a listener, but sending to everyone in a range. So is they have a disable command you'd either be putting yourself on a list to not be copied out (your words don't get spammed), or you'd be turning the device off.

Chat extenders do have a valid role in a social venue that is larger than the 20m range of local chat. I'd agree that making one broadcast something 150m or so away is rude. But if you have a club - 20m is a very tiny space to try and cram all the avatars in.

3 hours ago, UnilWay SpiritWeaver said:

Such a device is almost certainly working via llShout or llRegionSay

Neither of which is targeting a listener, but sending to everyone in a range. So is they have a disable command you'd either be putting yourself on a list to not be copied out (your words don't get spammed), or you'd be turning the device off.

Chat extenders do have a valid role in a social venue that is larger than the 20m range of local chat. I'd agree that making one broadcast something 150m or so away is rude. But if you have a club - 20m is a very tiny space to try and cram all the avatars in.

llShout, would appear in local chat as bolded "shout text", and llRegionSay wouldn't appear at all, as it specifically excludes channel 0, the local chat channel specifically to prevent it being used for "broadcast spam".

In fact, most seem to use llRegionSayTo, and a list of nearby avatars, talking to each avatar on the list directly on channel 0.

So, some of them CAN be et to ignore certain avatars, neither listening to them or repeating others chat to them.

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 257 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.