Can a person file a false abuse report in order to get revenge on me?

SirArthurDoyle75

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 275 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So long story short this guy continued to harass my friend. He, his alts and members of his clan would constantly come to the same sim as me and my friend within 5 minutes of us being there. We'd go there and within 5 minutes he, his alt or members of his clan would show up. Naturally I'd block them the moment I saw them because I don't want to get dragged into drama. I've been playing SL for 16 years on my main and I just don't want the drama.

The other day one of his clan members came to the sim, walked up to us and started pretty much abusing us in public chat. They knew that, even if they are blocked, the things that they say can still be seen in a light grey in public chat (something that I have directly questioned LL about as it kinda makes blocking people pointless...) At the same time this was going on, this guy is in IM's making threats to her. At this point it had become too serious for me to not do anything. Threatening people on SL is not acceptable behavior. So I filed an abuse report against him and also this clan member. He has been permanently banned and this clan member was banned for a day, a warning shot I guess?

They are EXTREMELY loyal to him and I fear that they will report a false abuse claim to get revenge on me. Just 5 minutes ago that clan member walked up to me and stood there in silence for 5 minutes then walked off again. They've already told my friend how much they despise me and I know he despises me even more because he'd get jealous when we'd be hanging out together. We know each other iRL and I'm the one that introduced her to the game and to that sim.

I've literally said nothing  to them and have always blocked them on sight. However I've heard of others being banned without question all because somebody filed a false abuse claim against them. Can they do this to me? I suppose they'd need evidence to go with the abuse claim but they won't have any because I've literally blocked them from the moment I saw them the other week. I have not entertained them with a response and I only reported that guy because he was making threats towards my friend.

• Sad 1

9 answers to this question

LL doesn't decide what to do based on what people suggest in Abuse Reports.  They investigate and look at the evidence.  Then they decide. So, if someone files a false report, it has no more effect than filing a good one (except that it makes more work for Governance and gets them annoyed).

• Like 3

• Administrators

Hey there SirArthurDoyle75,

First of all I would like to say that I'm sorry to hear that you and your friends are experiencing issues with other Residents within Second Life. The best advice we can give to you in this situation is to block these individuals & do not engage with them, and file Abuse Reports if the harassment persists so we can take a look. We encourage your friend to do the same if they have not done so already. 

As many others have stated previously in this thread, the presence of an Abuse Report or multiple Abuse Reports, does not mean that it will result in immediate action from us. We only take action on accounts after conducting an investigation to see if a violation of the Terms of Service or Community Standards has occurred. If evidence is found that a violation has taken place, we will take the appropriate action - which in many cases takes the form of warnings or temporary suspensions to give Residents the opportunity to correct their behavior.

If you are not engaging in any activities that violate the Terms of Service or Community Standards then you will not be issued any disciplinary action. 

For more information on how to handle in-world harassment & filing Abuse Reports, please refer to our KB pages on these topics:

I hope this clears up any confusion and alleviates any concerns you may have had!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

They don't like frivolous and malicious use of the Report feature in the forums, I doubt they like people using it as such inworld either.   They may actually get themselves in trouble for making false reports and wasting Governance's time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SirArthurDoyle75 said:

I'm not doing anything wrong.

Then you have absolutely nothing to worry about.  In fact, the other person might not have even filed an AR.  He may have just been trying to rattle you ... which he seems to have done successfully.

57 minutes ago, SirArthurDoyle75 said:

My friend just told me that this guy reported me multiple times just for sitting and relaxing on my boat on a quiet beach sim... 

Your friend doesn't know what the other reported, only what he said he has done.
Your friend doesn't even know if there was something reported.

A Linden will never tell you what is reported, nor by who.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, SirArthurDoyle75 said:

I was just relaxing there and a Governance Linden stopped by.. So on edge right now... My friend just told me that this guy reported me multiple times just for sitting and relaxing on my boat on a quiet beach sim... 

This sounds like Governance will see for themself that the report is a nuisance report. Don't worry if you're not doing anything wrong.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 275 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.