selling land

Littlemouse Topaz

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 312 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Since the land might not sell right away, set it for sale now at a price / sq. meter that's close to what other parcels in your area are listed for. Reduce the price periodically as you get closer to the day when you would have to pay tier again. A day or 2 before your tier is due, abandon the land you're trying to sell and reduce your land holdings on the SL website. If you don't reduce your land holdings and tier level before your next payment is due, you will get charged at the higher level.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Littlemouse Topaz said:

thanks persephone. so even if I rid of it the day before the tier is due, they wont charge me? is that right?

I can't swear to that, but I think so. It's possible LL might charge you one last time if they calculate that you held that land for most of a time period. An official answer from a Mole or Linden or a link to the SL wiki would be more reliable.

• Confused 1

Hello.
In this wall, people type things , just because...

So, just because I LIVE FOR TO RENT OUT LANDS  ( and that means I am buying - selling DAILY the last ... many many years...)
I Will have to ..."add" the following:

a) DO NOT abandon it. (its like throwing a dalla in the bin.,..) There are "sharks" out there who will buy your land for p[ennies in a jiffy!! (Pennies are better than Zero)
b) If you sell it or abandon it 1 day before your tier due you will NOT be charged. BUT selling the land isn't going to let you "free" from fees.
    After you sell it; You need to go to your account/summary page and then to Land fees and CHECK where it says ZERO FEES (L$0) per month. (NO LAST BILL EXIST)

c) This is the "worst" time for someone to sell their land because the market atm,  has the lowest demand, while the parcls for sale are more than ever!
d) Good Luck!

The correct category for to post as about selling your land is this one --> https://community.secondlife.com/forums/forum/286-mainland/

With Kind Regar
ds,

For [BEE Real Estate]

• Like 3

[beethros Karas change his nametag to beethros Mule]

beethros Karas is now known as beethros Mule

Dear Marianne,

3 minutes ago, Marianne Little said:

I have read "last 30 days" for when they bill you. Does that mean one must count days in months with 31 days?

When someone pay L$ to buy a parcel of mainland, lets say at the 6th of the month, they are starting their Tier FEES at that moment and they will be charged for the USE of that parcel for a month. Not 28 days, not 30 , not 31... Their billing date is the 6th of the month... So every sixth of the month their payment method will be charged.

The Land Use Fee (also known as a "Tier Fee") is a monthly charge in addition to membership fees. Land use fees are billed based on the peak amount of land held during your previous 30 day billing cycle. 

Therefore, at the end of your 30 days, you will get one last bill for that last 30 days if you abandon it regardless of when you abandoned it during those previous 30 days.   This is why people often suggest waiting until the last couple of days since you're being charged for it anyway.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, beethros Karas said:

For the record.. my dear friend Qie..
there was 4 people who click to like a reply that was , if not false, then wrong, or general words, like a thought coming out loud..
Just because somneone else - who they dislike -  answer it and said it different, correct and simple to understand.

My dear participants;
It is wise to not reply to a post where new members ask questions when there is no REAL knowledge of the question.
And it is more wise to listen to what someone said, who have that knowledge instead of BLAMING them and Accuse them ( slander them)

Yes, Qie, Just for the record...

I'm just puzzled here. Some of us thanked @Teresa Firelight for quickly correcting what seemed to be a misunderstanding by the OP, that reducing land ownership would reduce future charges immediately, rather after the current billing cycle is charged in arrears. I don't see anything wrong in that post, maybe that's not even the post in question, but it's the one in this thread with four responses, so… (?)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

thank you to everyone who replied to my post. i am not a new resident,  just new to buying and selling land.  i have owned land in the past but never paid attention to billing cycles. ive sold land in the past as well as abandoned land just dump it. again, never paying attention to billing cycles.  now a budget is being worked out to see how long this land could be held and when i will be billed for it again.  i now understand how the billing cycle works. once again, thanks everyone.

Edited by Littlemouse Topaz
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

The Land Use Fee (also known as a "Tier Fee") is a monthly charge in addition to membership fees. Land use fees are billed based on the peak amount of land held during your previous 30 day billing cycle. 

Therefore, at the end of your 30 days, you will get one last bill for that last 30 days if you abandon it regardless of when you abandoned it during those previous 30 days.   This is why people often suggest waiting until the last couple of days since you're being charged for it anyway.

Well said Rowan. Very clear and accurate.

The only clarification I would make is that when LL says "30 days," they really mean a calendar month. For example, my bill is always on the 5th of the month. I am billed for what I use between the 6th of the previous month and the 5th of the current month.. whether that period has 28 days, 29 days, 30 days or 31 days.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Teresa Firelight said:

Well said Rowan. Very clear and accurate.

The only clarification I would make is that when LL says "30 days," they really mean a calendar month. For example, my bill is always on the 5th of the month. I am billed for what I use between the 6th of the previous month and the 5th of the current month.. whether that period has 28 days, 29 days, 30 days or 31 days.

I always think of it as paying rent or a mortgage.  It's due on a specific day and not a  day cycle.  

• Like 4

On 6/28/2023 at 12:45 AM, Littlemouse Topaz said:

thank you to everyone who replied to my post. i am not a new resident,  just new to buying and selling land.  i have owned land in the past but never paid attention to billing cycles. ive sold land in the past as well as abandoned land just dump it. again, never paying attention to billing cycles.  now a budget is being worked out to see how long this land could be held and when i will be billed for it again.  i now understand how the billing cycle works. once again, thanks everyone.

Hi Mouse!

If you enjoy the land I do hope you are able to work out the budget, fingers crossed!

As has already been mentioned, tier charges are retrospective, so you are charged as per the rate for the tier band your maximum holding within the billing period falls for land you owned, AND sqm you donated to a group. Regardless of whether the group owns land, as far as billing is concerned, your having donated to the group is as good as owning the land. So if you have a land group, make sure you set your donation to 0 once the land has gone.

People are often confused by the payment dates. Your premium billing date is set by the date on which you change your account from basic to premium. Your tier billing date is set by the date on which your land holding first increases into ‘tier territory’, which is when your land holding exceeds the 1024/2048 sqm allowance that comes with premium is exceeded. This date is the same every month, and allows for accurate budgeting (I have three prem a/cs that all pay tier, and their dates are always the same, 10th, 13th, & 20th). Here’s a thing to remember… that date, once set will always remain the same. You can check what it is for your account by going to your account summary page, and looking at the bottom line in the land holdings section titled ‘Next bill date’. If you’ve not held any extra land from the previous month’s date, to the next one, the amount will show 0.00, but the date will be constant. So… always consider the due date when buying land that will increase your tier ;) There’s nothing so irksome as finding out that if you’d waited another couple of days, you’d not have had to pay tier until the following month!

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 312 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.