Best Viewer / Settings?

Carpentoon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 157 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

11 answers to this question

Most similar viewer to original LL v1.23 viewer: Singularity

Best/easiest viewer UI interface: Singularity

Best/fastest viewer for FPS/speed: Singularity.

Best viewer for stable driftless editing of prims: Singularity

Best viewer for still using Windlight (not EEP):  Singularity

Best viewer for creating an accurate bodyshape height: Singularity

Best viewer for uploading larger higher resolution textures: Singularity

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Carpentoon said:

CoolVLViewer - for most of the reasons Sarah sited for liking Singularity

52 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

So my answer would be there is no such thing as the best viewer, it's what viewer is best for you. 

Exactly. It all depends on what you want to do in SL and what your computer is capable of. I use Firestorm for social things and the standard LL viewer for everything else. YMMV.

• Thanks 2

The answers are subjective.  If one has never used SL before, being like the original 1.23 LL viewer is irrelevant as is any UI or Windlight or even accurate body height measurement.

I suggest trying them all.  Go to busy places.  See what runs best for you.  You might find one viewer does better at busy places but isn't the UI you prefer.  There's nothing wrong with using different viewers for different objectives.  Some are better for pictures, such as Black Dragon but I don't care for the UI or controls.  Some might be better for building or scripting.  I would suggest that you always have the LL available as this is the viewer Support will refer to if you ever have an issue.  

• Thanks 1

Like the others said there is no best viewer.

Just test them all have in mind what your computer can handle and what no, the nature of SL regions, etc. No crank everything to high or ultra all time see a perfect point for you.

After all, all viewers are the same code from LL with some extra functions unique to each one, heck even same if not all shortcuts: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/All_keyboard_shortcut_keys (if a shortcut doesn't work in one means it's combo key has been replaced or the function doesn't exist)

All viewers can be daily drivers if you known the points mentioned above and have knowledge of how to change preferences including graphics/display options depending of the situation.

Do not believe what hardcore fans of fs, singularity, official, alchemy, black dragon, catznip, kirsten, cool, genesis and the rest found at: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory says, go test by yourself each one, configure them to a point you feel is good for you, compare them to see what is what you like, test them at  least for 2 weeks, etc in the end you will find what you like and feel home with.

Note: remember I said some may have or not unique functions, have in mind not all will have the popular options as area search or hide/show look at the easy way. *Coughs*
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Show_Look_At *coughs*

I recommend Alchemy. It has a much cleaner UI compared to Firestorm, it also boots up much quicker and I get nearly twice the FPS than I do when using Firestorm. I can also max out my graphics settings with a draw distance of over 120m without hitting performance issues. - Can't do that in Firestorm but of course that's just my experience. 

Alchemy doesn't have all the same features that can be found in Firestorm but for me, the benefits far outweigh the cons. I'm just surprised more people aren't aware of it. 

For reference, this is on 1 year old mid range gaming laptop with a Intel i9 CPU and Nvidia RTX 3070 Ti GPU. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 157 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.