Failed to find object ...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 350 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

image.jpeg.346a9f5bba874d2b7f33a910fa684af1.jpeg

This is what I get really often the last 2 days, those brows I just bought on the MP so no old item, after I tinted them this happened and same with shapes atm o-O anyone else experiencing this atm? 😧 and when I unpack a new set of brows it also says the same ...very weird.

Mayyyybe I will just take this as the hint I needed to sort my inventory again...xD 350k items but I have not sorted the new stuff over the last year I am afraid lol

After I now sorted the objects folder (nope do not expect me to actually SORT, I just drag batches of it in subfolders and subsubsub folders and so on haha) I can wear the eyebrows without getting this error T^T my laziness in SL is really bad haha and biting my bum I am afraid. 

4 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Maybe  the server that holds the data is down or on the verge to break down.
My thoughts: Forget them for now and just try it in a couple of days again.

Yes I would but...it also happened to my shapes the other day ..and not only one XD I kinda like my shapes T^T haha I think I will need to sort my inventory again -_-

Hm ok it worked for short now not again <.< so maybe you are right someone spilled coffee on the servers at amazon maybe x3

Edited by Gwin LeShelle

This happened to me the other day, with every single shape I own, and happened again when I tried to make a new shape from scratch.

I gave up, logged out, and it was all fine the next day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Maitimo said:

This happened to me the other day, with every single shape I own, and happened again when I tried to make a new shape from scratch.

I gave up, logged out, and it was all fine the next day.

Thank you ❤️ so maybe this means its really not a "me only" problem xD

7 minutes ago, Maitimo said:

Asset servers be borked again. 😆

I think so because I noticed now (trial and error xD) than when I save a NEW thing instead of overwriting the old it saves just fine. Otherwise BOOM broken xD 

Edited by Gwin LeShelle

I've had this happen to me so often that it's changed my behavior in SL. It didn't happen too frequently, but often enough that I started saving my shape numbers on a notecard so I could retrieve the numbers to make a new shape in case the shape went missing. What I found was that sometimes if I teleport after changing my shape or tinting clothing before relogging that the changes didn't get saved in the asset server for whatever reason. For awhile it was so frequent that I was remaking shapes often and it was frustrating. So, I decided to relog anytime I tweak my shape or make a new clothing item by tinting the item. Since I've started this practice I've not had it happen again.

By the way this has been going on for me for years.

40 minutes ago, Blush Bravin said:

I started saving my shape numbers on a notecard

If you use Firestorm (no idea about others) you can save the shape directly to your computer as an XML file.

It's an option on the Developer menu: Develop menu (Ctrl-Alt-Q) / Avatar / Character Tests / Appearance to XML

That same file can be imported in the Appearance/Edit window and saved back as a shape. (doesn't cost anything either)

Even better, you can write a script (as I was in the middle of doing after doing it manually in a text editor a few times, then found someone had already done it so grabbed theirs instead) that will combine a head shape from one XML file with a body shape from another XML file, save the new file and then it can be imported back to SL. Imagine how much annoying slider shifting that has saved me! Dr Frank is available free on GitHub somewhere, or you can just get it here for L$10.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Dr-Frank-Shape-Combiner/22345045

Edited by Rick Nightingale
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2023 at 8:02 AM, Rick Nightingale said:

If you use Firestorm (no idea about others) you can save the shape directly to your computer as an XML file.

It's an option on the Developer menu: Develop menu (Ctrl-Alt-Q) / Avatar / Character Tests / Appearance to XML

That same file can be imported in the Appearance/Edit window and saved back as a shape. (doesn't cost anything either)

Even better, you can write a script (as I was in the middle of doing after doing it manually in a text editor a few times, then found someone had already done it so grabbed theirs instead) that will combine a head shape from one XML file with a body shape from another XML file, save the new file and then it can be imported back to SL. Imagine how much annoying slider shifting that has saved me! Dr Frank is available free on GitHub somewhere, or you can just get it here for L$10.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Dr-Frank-Shape-Combiner/22345045

Sorry it took me so long to respond to this post. Thanks. I knew about exporting to XML but hadn't ever noticed I could use it to import a shape. Thanks bunches! What a lifesaver!

• Like 1

On 5/4/2023 at 7:24 PM, Blush Bravin said:

I've had this happen to me so often that it's changed my behavior in SL. It didn't happen too frequently, but often enough that I started saving my shape numbers on a notecard so I could retrieve the numbers to make a new shape in case the shape went missing. What I found was that sometimes if I teleport after changing my shape or tinting clothing before relogging that the changes didn't get saved in the asset server for whatever reason. For awhile it was so frequent that I was remaking shapes often and it was frustrating. So, I decided to relog anytime I tweak my shape or make a new clothing item by tinting the item. Since I've started this practice I've not had it happen again.

By the way this has been going on for me for years.

I changed my SL behaviour a long time ago also due to similar happenings.

Whenever I tint or change texture of clothing, adjust non-rigged items, such as hair or bangs etc., I ALWAYS detach and then reattach the item again. This 'locks' the changes.

If not, if/when a crash or failed teleport results in a crash (seem common for me) then those adjustments are lost. BY detaching/reattaching it locks the changes even of a crash subsequently occurs.

• Like 1

My shape came up as 'failed to find . . ." yesterday when I changed outfits, despite the fact I was already wearing the shape (all my outfits contain a shape, as some use a slightly modified version).

I'm about to log in to see if it's been found . . .

Just logged in, shape still missing. Luckily I have another shape that's almost the same so I can copy and modify that. In my inventory, 2 shapes are in bold,, indicating I'm wearing them both - the missing one and the alternative version.

I've only had this happen very rarely during my long time in SL. Coincidentally, I also had the same problem in OpenSim a couple of days ago. I use different viewer for that (Firestorm). I use the LL viewer for SL.

Edited by Conifer Dada
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 350 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.