Notecards

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 449 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have joined a new group.  The instructions say that after you join send the creator a notecard.  I understand a notecard is an item that would be shown in my inventory, but how do I get and/or send a notecard.  In all my searching I haven't found the answer yet.  Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

Welcome to the forums and SL!

Right click a folder in your inventory (can be the Notecard folder, but doesn't have to be) and select "new notecard" from the pop-up menu. A new notecard will appear with the cursor in it to rename it. Name it something (I often put my username in the name of it, like "New group member: Rick Nightingale". Double-click it to open and type in your text to say hello or whatever. Make sure to include your username again. Click save to save it.

Then, open the group's profile, and click the creator's username to open their profile. On their open profile, at the bottom it should say something like, "drag and drop here to share"

Drag your notecard there, and drop it. You'll get a confirmation box to click yes to.

Edit: That's basically it. I've done it so many times I can't recall the finer nuances, and I can't get on the viewer right now to check the fine details. But that should get you there.

Edited by Rick Nightingale
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, imyownman said:

I have joined a new group.  The instructions say that after you join send the creator a notecard.  I understand a notecard is an item that would be shown in my inventory, but how do I get and/or send a notecard.  In all my searching I haven't found the answer yet.  Thanks in advance for any help that can be provided.

Lots.of info in the knowledge base...https://community.secondlife.com/knowledgebase/english/

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Innula Zenovka said:

There's this thing called Google

0b546ba11ca1565d8d9117d272ba08df.png

This is 99% of the time the answer to every question asked here on the forum, in fact on every forum about everything in the world.
Google knows an awful lot, most likely even too much.

• Like 1

On 4/8/2023 at 5:13 PM, Rick Nightingale said:

Welcome to the forums and SL!

Right click a folder in your inventory (can be the Notecard folder, but doesn't have to be) and select "new notecard" from the pop-up menu. A new notecard will appear with the cursor in it to rename it. Name it something (I often put my username in the name of it, like "New group member: Rick Nightingale". Double-click it to open and type in your text to say hello or whatever. Make sure to include your username again. Click save to save it.

Then, open the group's profile, and click the creator's username to open their profile. On their open profile, at the bottom it should say something like, "drag and drop here to share"

Drag your notecard there, and drop it. You'll get a confirmation box to click yes to.

Edit: That's basically it. I've done it so many times I can't recall the finer nuances, and I can't get on the viewer right now to check the fine details. But that should get you there.

+1 on Rick's answer for giving an actual explanation, without saying "go read this over here..", or "use tech Google"!

27 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

This is 99% of the time the answer to every question asked here on the forum, in fact on every forum about everything in the world.
Google knows an awful lot, most likely even too much.

Makes me wonder, if those suspicious people who use "duck-duck-goose" or whatever, because they don't trust Google, can find answers to the Second Life questions.

I don't trust DDG enough to actually try it and find out.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Makes me wonder, if those suspicious people who use "duck-duck-goose" or whatever, because they don't trust Google, can find answers to the Second Life questions.

I don't trust DDG enough to actually try it and find out.

The Duck is fine, and it does provide answers to these questions.  The top link is to the SL Knowledgebase and the next few are the wiki.  A few Youtube tutorials come up as well.

9e1b8252c40101288164667c39f8ee74.png

That said, it always comes across (at least to me) a bit rude to tell people to google it. Yes, the search will throw up a list of links, but the confused user doesn't know which of those links are actually useful and trustworthy. It doesn't take more than a few seconds to google it yourself, grab a useful and trustworthy link and post that instead.

• Like 3

DuckDuckGo has been slow AF lately, I think because they introduced DuckAssist, which is an AI that tries to find the answer for you much like chatGPT.  I've been thinking of switching over to https://metager.org/ but can't really speak with authority as to how trustworthy they are.  There are a bunch out there, but Google is one that loves to track the heck out of everything you search for, and then use all of that data for advertisement which gets really annoying when you start seeing ads based upon your search history.  

Edited by Istelathis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 449 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.