Peeve things that irritate.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 465 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've been on SL for a long time and am usually terribly tolerant of everything and everyone (despite my profile quotes on people). As its St Patrick's Day, I shall use:-

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery that mediocrity can pay to greatness. - Oscar Wilde

And that's precisely it imitation - having spent months perfecting land, purchasing the house, outbuildings, furniture, and foliage drawing out a plan (I'm a little OCD) making things fit changing, evolving, working hard, hours and hours of work went into it, changing scaling back, refitting, buying moving (fitting it in around working hours and other SL/Discord commitments). I've nearly finished it only to find out by accident (which was pointed out by a visitor) that the 'creative and talented' neighbour (her words not mine) has just sat and copied every single building of mine onto her parcel.

The neighbour is the directly connected parcel. *1000-yard stare* 

I mean don't get me wrong I have been to many a place where I have loved an item, that I have purchased it and used it somewhere in my build, destinations are a great source of wonderful minds, skills and imagination that have spurred me to purchase same or similar items - trees, bushes, landscape items, furniture.

But to take someone else's hard work and just...well....copy it to the parcel next door is not flattering in any way shape or form. 

When I say copy I mean outhouses, and house, using space exactly the same way I have i.e turning a lighthouse looks out into a bar, splitting the rooms in the main house the same way etc etc

I'm embarrassed for them and really annoyed -  a limited imagination copying someone else (the neighbour) is cringe.

Now on the back of that, do I ignore it, say something, block them and put up a sign with a big arrow saying 'if you ordered from wish?

Should I be flattered? 

Should I just offer her the list of items from my inventory and make it a little easier for them? 😆

I do not feel flattered.

Happy St Patrick's day to those celebrating around the globe from disgruntled in Ireland!🍀

If you're using Firestorm, simply derender everything owned by them.  If not, what would confronting them about it achieve?  If they're doing it to annoy you, then confronting them will let them know they've won.    Maybe put up a sign that says ORIGINAL?    

If it's a mainland parcel, they might even be doing it to annoy so you move and they can buy your land.  Who knows why people do things.   I don't really see any option other than ignoring or moving, sadly.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

Maybe put up a sign that says ORIGINAL? 

They'll just copy it 🤣. Sorry, couldn't resist.

I can imagine the WTF level of frustration, but there's really nothing that can be done. Whatever reason they have for doing it, they likely won't respond usefully to any confrontation about it.

Maybe learn to make mesh and make yourself something unique? Not an easy task from the beginning but perhaps it's a good excuse to take the plunge into creating. Turn the situation to the positive for you.

Edited by Rick Nightingale
  • Like 2

I would ignore-the same way I would ignore the other thread about copycats. It wouldn't likely bother me at all-but if it did I would still ignore it and not give that person whatever attention they might be looking for. I might even be flattered that they thought it was such good work they wanted to replicate it. I've seen a lot of places in sl that if I ever get more space I would love to replicate because they're done so well. Some people have really limited creativity and get easily inspired by the creativity of others. I have seen almost exact replicas of setups from stores on people's lands too-even including decor inside and out that doesn't come from that store. I spent a lot of time teleporting around looking at different houses and stores for ideas inside and out-or else I probably might not even notice some of them look identical. I don't think the store owners are at all bothered by it-but they could be too. 

But if it does bother you a lot-derendering it is probably the best solution so it bothers you a little less now that you can't see it anymore. I wouldn't want to look at something that did irritate me either. 

23 minutes ago, Caeruleiae said:

I've seen a lot of places in sl that if I ever get more space I would love to replicate because they're done so well. Some people have really limited creativity and get easily inspired by the creativity of others.

Oh gosh absolutely the same, I wouldn't though, build it right next door! 

26 minutes ago, Rick Nightingale said:

They'll just copy it 🤣. Sorry, couldn't resist.

I can imagine the WTF level of frustration, but there's really nothing that can be done. Whatever reason they have for doing it, they likely won't respond usefully to any confrontation about it.

Yeah, they most likely will, they've copied everything else, pondering offering her money so she can change her name to something like mine - surprised that's not happened.

The WTF level of frustration is HIGH! Not going to confront them, am not interested in them enough to do so. I will however ***** everywhere until rental runs out then move - and change everything, 'cause nah, it's really not flattering, it's childish and rude. 😃 Homestead, no neighbours is looking good.

My 2 cents:
There is the option to go on and fight the evil  and the other option is to move and then move on.
SL has more than 27 thousand regions.
The place is big enough for all of us.  Personally I would move on and leave them behind.

• Like 2

I can understand the bitter sweet of something like that.. But anything I ever made for my land never really lasted very long anyways, because as soon as a new idea came up, I would rip out the old build and start on the new one.. It's the same with my avatar as well..

I guess in a sense, the advantage of having an old inventory is nice in the fact that, there are many things that don't exist anymore unless someone picked them up when they were around.. I always enjoy finding a use for those things.. I could enjoy a build for a little while, but could never really settle into them..

Now If I actually created everything in my build, or seen things in a build that I did create from scratch.. That would be a different story, because then I would know they were stealing and on a viewer that isn't allowed.. That would get them reported..

Honestly myself, I don't mind if someone does that, because I know it's just temporary until the next idea jumps in my head.. But I can understand it bothering someone else..

The thrill for me is putting it together and hunting or making things and  seeing it through and enjoying it while it lasts..Then get some pictures to remember it before it's gone..

If someone does want to copy some build of mine..They better be able to get everything pretty quick though, because it may go poof and leave them  with half way there.. hehehe

19 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

My 2 cents:
There is the option to go on and fight the evil  and the other option is to move and then move on.
SL has more than 27 thousand regions.
The place is big enough for all of us.  Personally I would move on and leave them behind.

It is however I have forked a lot of money to a landowner who has zero empathy and or any policy other than 'well we have your money' so tough. I've paid for quite a few weeks, all was well until the neighbour started, so I had no problem paying a lot of Lindens for the next 6-8 weeks.

But yeah, will be moving.😃

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I can understand the bitter sweet of something like that.. But anything I ever made for my land never really lasted very long anyways, because as soon as a new idea came up, I would rip out the old build and start on the new one.. It's the same with my avatar as well..

I guess in a sense, the advantage of having an old inventory is nice in the fact that, there are many things that don't exist anymore unless someone picked them up when they were around.. I always enjoy finding a use for those things.. I could enjoy a build for a little while, but could never really settle into them..

Now If I actually created everything in my build, or seen things in a build that I did create from scratch.. That would be a different story, because then I would know they were stealing and on a viewer that isn't allowed.. That would get them reported..

Honestly myself, I don't mind if someone does that, because I know it's just temporary until the next idea jumps in my head.. But I can understand it bothering someone else..

The thrill for me is putting it together and hunting or making things and  seeing it through and enjoying it while it lasts..Then get some pictures to remember it before it's gone..

If someone does want to copy some build of mine..They better be able to get everything pretty quick though, because it may go poof and leave them  with half way there.. hehehe

Agreed and usually, the builds don't last very long because I change things, often ie the front room changed over the weekend, and the garden trees changed last week.

Etc etc, so it is a frequent change, some things I put together from pulling apart other stuff and making things, she had copied that, however, has since taken those. I would overlook it if it was just the buildings as they are really nice buildings however it's the furnishing placement that is bothering me - by all means take some ideas, make them your own but have a little decorum and imagination.

And yes, the thrill is finding, hunting and putting together things is what I enjoy - I have a LL home that I pull apart the most because it's small *chuckles* and taking it apart and redoing it kills the craving to move and build/design for a little while.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rick Nightingale said:

This is the way!

If you have the means of course. I've been very happy on my rented 1/3 slice (but with half the region's prims) of homestead, even with neighbours.

Oh, I've been happy where I was for a few months, it's been great...until the other day. Shame really with the exception of the owner (who you don't need to speak to) it's been great, low lag, quiet, great corner.

Edited 'cause I can't spell.

Edited by Clover McGregor

2 minutes ago, Clover McGregor said:

Agreed and usually, the builds don't last very long because I change things, often ie the front room changed over the weekend, and the garden trees changed last week.

Etc etc, so it is a frequent change, some things I put together from pulling apart other stuff and making things, she had copied that, however, has since taken those. I would overlook it if it was just the buildings as they are really nice buildings however it's the furnishing placement that is bothering me - by all means take some ideas, make them your own but have a little decorum and imagination.

And yes, the thrill is finding, hunting and putting together things is what I enjoy - I have a LL home that I pull apart the most because it's small *chuckles* and taking it apart and redoing it kills the craving to move and build/design for a little while.

Ya, I can understand that feeling a little creepy.. I wonder if they are on an illegal viewer? Try something you made from scratch and bait them to see if it ends up over there..

If it does, I'd AR them..

Make friends with a SL influencer, and get them to come to your sim when your neighbour's there...then say to them, near the boundary, "So do you think I have a chance of winning the $L20,000 Best Sim Of 2023 contest? And get the influencer to say "Oh no, Oriental designs are in this year, lighthouses are out...this'll never win, sadly!" And see how fast your neighbour changes hers :)

3 hours ago, Clover McGregor said:

Happy St Patrick's day to those celebrating around the globe from disgruntled in Ireland!🍀

Happy St Patrick's Day! ☘️

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

48 minutes ago, Clover McGregor said:

It is however I have forked a lot of money to a landowner who has zero empathy and or any policy other than 'well we have your money' so tough. I've paid for quite a few weeks, all was well until the neighbour started, so I had no problem paying a lot of Lindens for the next 6-8 weeks.

But yeah, will be moving.😃

I'm a person who tends to pay more than a month in advance too when I found a place that I like.
But, when I have enough of a place I leave all the same. Still rent on the ticker or not.  I just chalk it up as learning money.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Clover McGregor said:

a landowner who has zero empathy

What exactly would you have them do?  If I were your landlord, I'd ask the same thing.  There's nothing inherently wrong with what your neighbor is doing.  Annoying, sure but lots of things are annoying in SL that aren't against LL's rules or private estate rules.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ceka Cianci said:

That can get real expensive for the one farting around..

I agree! :S The person rezzing boxes in front of their neighbour's picture platform is just wasting their time, but copying others' sims and outfits must add up in costs...that makes me wonder if they are really trying to be annoying, or just copying because they think it looks good? It's a bit bonkers to pay to troll someone...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

What exactly would you have them do?  If I were your landlord, I'd ask the same thing.  There's nothing inherently wrong with what your neighbor is doing.  Annoying, sure but lots of things are annoying in SL that aren't against LL's rules or private estate rules.  

Well nothing, I was referring to them in general - be pointless even asking for a move as I would be expected to pay for that - the same way I forked for their laggy sim that apparently 'wasn't laggy because our sims are not' and then fork out again to move from that.

9 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

I agree! :S The person rezzing boxes in front of their neighbour's picture platform is just wasting their time, but copying others' sims and outfits must add up in costs...that makes me wonder if they are really trying to be annoying, or just copying because they think it looks good? It's a bit bonkers to pay to troll someone...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's more than likely they just like the idea.. I know there are  lots of inspiring thing I run across all the time where I was like, omg I really wish i would have thought of that.. hehehe

I'm sure some are like, Omg I have to have that..

The only way I can see them doing something like that in any form of griefing, is if they are on an illegal viewer and the pace of change not cost them anything..

If they are on a regular viewer and doing it to mess with me.. Then that's a game they are playing in their own mind and they better break out the credit card, because the joke won't be on me.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I'm a person who tends to pay more than a month in advance too when I found a place that I like.
But, when I have enough of a place I leave all the same. Still rent on the ticker or not.  I just chalk it up as learning money.

Yeah same, just annoyed I've paid so far in advance and as previously stated if I wanted to move to somewhere else within their land (and they have much) I would be expected to pay for that land, rather than an empathetic 'yeah we get it, it's annoying', let's get you moved so you don't have to look at it and just transfer your lindens.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 465 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.