Scripting User Group

ItHadToComeToThis

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okay so, I'm based in the UK.

According to the user group page its 12pm to 1pm PT which is 8pm - 9pm GMT/UTC

However, on the SL Public Calendar, which is google based, and I assume shows start times in my own time zone. It says, 7pm to 8pm.

Which is it?

• Thanks 1

Daylight Saving kicked in for USA* & Canada this morning, so any Second Life events from now until the 26th of March will be one hour earlier than usual. Google Calendar will reflect this change for you — I'm subscribed to several for various Second Life things.

(*My understanding is that some states stick with the same time zone all year around.)

• Like 1

Tangential but ...

Ugh how I wish SL to one day just stop using SLT and use UTC instead.

Or rebase SLT to UTC instead of (whatever the time offset is currently on the USA West Coast).

And thus can be done with this "daylight saving" nonsense for once and for good.

And since SLT is already behind UTC, changing to UTC means no duplicate timestamps. Sure there will be a gap if one logs using SLT, but that's much easier to handle than duplicate timestamps.

• Like 1

• Lindens
On 3/12/2023 at 6:44 AM, Spiffy Voxel said:

(*My understanding is that some states stick with the same time zone all year around.)

Arizona does. That's because if they had an extra hour of daylight things would catch on fire.

The scripting and simulator user group is at Noon SLT on Tuesdays.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Rider Linden said:

Arizona does. That's because if they had an extra hour of daylight things would catch on fire.

Super, thanks! Are we allowed to query what "ease of life" features are coming for scripters. One thing that annoys me about these Lab Gab episodes and other similar things is that scripters are ALWAYS left out. We get promises of ease of life features and then everything but that is covered. I actually want to know what's in the pipeline like every other community in SL gets to know.

7 hours ago, ItHadToComeToThis said:

One thing that annoys me about these Lab Gab episodes and other similar things is that scripters are ALWAYS left out.

Well, Lab Gab episodes usually are about things that affect the widest swath of SL users.

Can't deny that us scripters are very ... 'niche' 😄

Pantera Polnocy (sp?) have been diligently recording technical meetings. Check out her vids!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, primerib1 said:

Well, Lab Gab episodes usually are about things that affect the widest swath of SL users.

Can't deny that us scripters are very ... 'niche' 😄

Pantera Polnocy (sp?) have been diligently recording technical meetings. Check out her vids!

Not that niche. There are quite a lot of us really, and more starting each day. I know quite a few mesh developers for instance that have started learning to script so they can better enhance their products. And, thank you! I will. But I stand by what I said earlier, if you are going to have a Lab Gab for SL....then add 3 more minutes to the video to talk about what's coming up for scripting.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I wasn't aware of the scripting user group, and I've been reading mostly the entire forum (except certain fashion and "adult" threads/topics) for a few years now!

There are a few more of them happening: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:User_Groups (note, that third party viewer meetings are not listed here). Also: https://modemworld.me/category/second-life/sl-tech/sl-project-updates/ 

Plus:

Edited by panterapolnocy
  • Thanks 1

It's not strictly the scripting user group but most attendees are particularly interested in scripts. Even when other server-side topics (performance, bugs, plans, etc), they're usually most evident in scripts, so "scripting" gets most of the attention.

But maybe not so much "ease of life" although I'm not quite sure what that would mean. To me, LinksetData has most affected my "ease of life" as a scripter recently. And link sound. But I'm guessing something else is intended.

4 hours ago, panterapolnocy said:

There are a few more of them happening: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:User_Groups (note, that third party viewer meetings are not listed here). Also: https://modemworld.me/category/second-life/sl-tech/sl-project-updates/ 

Plus:

Ouch, 12pm my time on a workday 😭

Edit: Wait ... that "12pm" time on the public calendar, that's SLT? Soo... um ... 2am the next day for me.

Still not a good time ugh

Edited by primerib1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

It's not strictly the scripting user group but most attendees are particularly interested in scripts. Even when other server-side topics (performance, bugs, plans, etc), they're usually most evident in scripts, so "scripting" gets most of the attention.

But maybe not so much "ease of life" although I'm not quite sure what that would mean. To me, LinksetData has most affected my "ease of life" as a scripter recently. And link sound. But I'm guessing something else is intended.

Question for you, I saw llStopLinkSound but, we can instruct links to play sounds? I know Iv just returned to scripting after maybe 16-18 months away from SL but, I don't remember us having or can find llPlayLinkSound xD

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fenix Eldritch said:

Ooh I missed that one in my few casual glances. A year or two I got around that function not existing by having a script in an invisible linked prim that moved to where the sound needed to be played. The wiki isn't 100% clear on whether the sound needs to be in the prim the script is in (most likely) or whether it needs to be in the prim which plays the sound (would be annoying). I'll need to test that later.

On 3/13/2023 at 12:07 PM, Rider Linden said:

Switching to a time zone with physical land either side of the boundary would be far more accessible.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 443 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.