Bring back Ratings!! - A Proposal

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 574 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

The size of the reward does not matter, it that it exists at all.

I think this may be true in games with tweens or pre-tweens in that those in that young age group may need .40 cents for a task here or there.   Look, I've been fishing twice and made almost 400 lindens.  For fishing, twice.

Forty cents is not going to work with SL's demographics.  

Edited by EliseAnne85

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It actually is a very good method of  promoting some socialization. I have seen the results of that in other Grids where a default landing region would result in people staying and chatting to others they had not met before on a variety of topics.

I don't disagree. We miss out on newbies by not going to these god-awful places, and they miss out on us.

I was only semi-joking because, those can be "traumatic" places to those with sound turned on, those not used to griefers, etc.

2 minutes ago, EliseAnne85 said:

I think this may be true in games with tweens or pre-tweens in that those in that young age group may need .40 cents for a task here or there.   Look, I've been fishing twice and made almost 400 lindens.  For fishing, twice.

Forty cents is not going to work with SL's demographics.  

If two people like each other every "ratings" period, are they effectively trading back-and-forth the same L$2?

13 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

This is right up there with someone's proposal to make everyone log in at some specific spot so we can 'be more social'.  When I feel like being social, I have no problem doing so.  It's the new BASIC accounts that are always here looking for recommendations as to where the people go.  As @Drake1 Nightfiresaid, less than a $1 a month isn't going to be incentive to anyone already PREMIUM.  

There are enough premium members who depend entirely on the stipend to make this work. Premium alone is their big spend.

Say 4 weekly payments every month to a max of 120 .. yeah, its not huge, but neither are the cost of things in the weekend sales.

There are also subtle side mechanics to take into account too, that payout isn't guaranteed but only a potential. The reset at the start of the month will create a pulse of activity as people try to get the "game" out of the way. Start of the month. Every month. With extra chaos depending on how close to stipend day the reset falls.

I get that all this is not your thing.

• Like 1

Just now, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Prooooobably not.

Besides, if such a feature were added, I'd opt out immediately! Not that I'd be included in the first place, being so basic. 😄

I'm not saying there can't be something from this for basics. It's better if there is because that motivates them to premium.

I'm saying it can't be money and they can't issue ratings, because that breaks the system and allows it to go infinite in similar ways to the old system.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If two people like each other every "ratings" period, are they effectively trading back-and-forth the same L$2?

This whole thing sounds god-awful.  I've been unbaited fishing twice and made almost 400 lindens and had fun.  100 lindens in a month for all that work, nah.  100 linden a month for a task is for children 13 and under, and that's not SL's demographics.  What Coffee is proposing is a bore chore for the devs to have something to do, imo.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It actually is a very good method of  promoting some socialization. I have seen the results of that in other Grids where a default landing region would result in people staying and chatting to others they had not met before on a variety of topics.

Not so much.  My region was down when I logged in today and couldn't get out of the info hub fast enough.  NO one was chatting.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I used to do progression raiding in Warcraft. It was a laborious grind against monsters with mechanics so pedantic that if the entire team didn't do the dance perfectly, everyone died and was bombed back to the start. The rewards were small and typically offered tiny percentage improvements. Totally not required to enjoy the game.

Raid night was the highlight of our week, it was a miserable excuse to all hang out, but we needed the excuse and the shared task.

The size of the reward does not matter, it that it exists at all.

This is sounding like:

Step 1: Set up some big operation to do what I like to do.

Step 2: ???

Step 3: Profit!

Second Life wasn't exactly huge when rankings were around, after all...

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Not so much.  My region was down when I logged in today and couldn't get out of the info hub fast enough.  NO one was chatting.

Really? I don't get diverted to an Info hub these days when my selected login region is not accessible. In any case if there is no local chatter going on even there, it show how desperate times are for S/L as a social platform. 

5 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Really? I don't get diverted to an Info hub these days when my selected login region is not accessible. In any case if there is no local chatter going on even there, it show how desperate times are for S/L as a social platform. 

Safe hub, sorry.  The spots they log you into if your region is down.  Lots of people piled into one spot with everyone trying desperately to get the hell out.  You know, the spots where guys would proposition new players who ended up there or that naked man with the giant flexi peen hung out?  Yeah, not gonna chat with anyone there, thank you very much.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Oh yeah...but I don't think celebrity performances would ever happen here. Fortnite paid like 20 mil to those artists, each - for shows that were what, 15-30 mins? Omg wait...Travis' was 10 minutes, so there's that. 😳

SL doesn't exactly have the best rep, either, so...food for thought there.

Not to go off topic but sometimes you have to counter a proposal with a counter proposal in order to debate something, so let me finish what I was thinking as you cannot read my mind.

I didn't have anything in that ballpark for cost for popular artist live performances.  So, perhaps the artists could be older artists or it's an artist with some following but needs to promote something.  All artists need places to promote this or that such as a new tour or whatever.

So, all I wanted to say is my idea was not anywhere near the price you are mentioning as I'd think eventually the artists would generate income off of YouTube as well after it premiered on SL.  I mean there are too many variables here for me to explain here and I don't want to continue off topic with my counter proposal.  I just wanted @Coffee Pancake to see we need something *big* for SL because with PBR SL is asking perhaps a third of it's users to upgrade to gaming computers.  I don't think a third of SL users will buy a gaming computer for reflections.  SL needs to come up with something big, whatever it will be.  I also think part of Sansar's failure is because one needs to buy a vr headset.  SL could fail with PBR because many need to buy a gaming computer.  SL is facing strong head winds ahead.  

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I'm saying it can't be money and they can't issue ratings, because that breaks the system and allows it to go infinite in similar ways to the old system

No it breaks the whole idea to not include them in offering ratings, and include a financial additive.

Remove those obstacles and you have a really good idea for increasing socialization. With them, it's not a social tool, it's just a monetary incentive for a very select few. Sl needs more social people, not less.

As a new person, a social person, and a person that doesn't have premium, your idea would shun me completely and separate me even more from everyone else, as if that's not already awkward sometimes. It doesn't give me that get out there and socialize feel, at all. It would shun almost all of the people I do socialize, explore sl, and share new-er user experience with too. Our experience is different from yours, we haven't been here forever. Why do you want so badly to add something else to make it awkward and elitist? I can't even help other people increase their ratings. It would do absolutely nothing for me, anyone like me, anyone new, anyone not already premium, anyone who already socializes. You've left the tiniest group possible in sl for it to benefit, and some of them have already told you it wouldn't benefit them either.

I bet if you actually went out into sl and talked to people about it, you'd find the exact same answers you have here. Go to a fishing place, coin gathering place, newbie hangout, club, gaming land, any of the places where the majority of the people fall into the category of people this idea won't target and you'll find out just how much something like this would hinder socializing. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

But they give me 3 times that every week and i dont have to leave my home... Why would i want to deal with annoying people clamoring for "votes?" What is this, SecondLife Idol? 

and then someone will invite you out for an evening and you will grumble and go anyway because you're not doing anything else.

I'm not rating anyone!! don't rate me, stop .. I saw that .. HEY 

even if you never go again, worth it.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

There are enough premium members who depend entirely on the stipend to make this work. Premium alone is their big spend.

Say 4 weekly payments every month to a max of 120 .. yeah, its not huge, but neither are the cost of things in the weekend sales.

There are also subtle side mechanics to take into account too, that payout isn't guaranteed but only a potential. The reset at the start of the month will create a pulse of activity as people try to get the "game" out of the way. Start of the month. Every month. With extra chaos depending on how close to stipend day the reset falls.

I get that all this is not your thing.

So, what is LL incentive to give premiums more money?

1 minute ago, Coffee Pancake said:

and then someone will invite you out for an evening and you will grumble and go anyway because you're not doing anything else.

Nice assumption that I'm not doing anything... I'm not working on things for my store, or chatting with friends, watching movies with a close friend, or anything else. Yeah, just sitting at my plot just doin nothing but waiting for that call to go to the upvote party.. Not.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Is there such a thing as "the Royal you"?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

I didn't understand this part. My most-likely-wrong understanding is that a percentage of our L$ stipend would go to the others taking part in the Rating program? And we'd never see it?

I probably misunderstood.

But, I still don't understand why we wouldn't be allowed to rate Basics and they could benefit, as they NEED the L$ - them getting L$ from a program like this would give them more "skin in the game", a "taste" of what it's like to have L$, etc. 

If I DO understand, then I merely disagree on this point. I love me some Basics! They grow up to be Preemies!

23 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Safe hub, sorry.  The spots they log you into if your region is down.  Lots of people piled into one spot with everyone trying desperately to get the hell out.  You know, the spots where guys would proposition new players who ended up there or that naked man with the giant flexi peen hung out?  Yeah, not gonna chat with anyone there, thank you very much.

Whichever though i was responding more to your first reference which was a more ambiguous make everyone log in at some specific spot and from which I imagined something along the lines of a properly managed social area where people are diverted to in case of login or tp issues.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

What is LL's incentive to lose money on Linden Homes ?

Why does you supermarket have cheap milk ?

If you buy one and get one free, are you really ?

I'd give you a rating just to get a raise out of you ❤️

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I didn't understand this part. My most-likely-wrong understanding is that a percentage of our L$ stipend would go to the others taking part in the Rating program? And we'd never see it?

For Linden Lab, SL is a zero sum game, and they will never be the losers.

Every penny that comes from playing the realms games, every sqm of linden land that isn't paid for by a resident, and so on .. we all bare the cost of that.

8 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Instead of giving the monies to those who already have it, why not give it to the newer people in addition to Henry's achievement awards? So something like a daily login= 1L$  TP's=1L$ 100 characters in Local chat=5L$ . 1 account per household etc. This would incentivise new people coming back, buying some things on MP or Inworld etc. Those few L$ will do a lot more for newbies than it will for those who are already Premium members.

• Like 3

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 574 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.