Account deleted or on hold?

Joran Yoshikawa

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello all.
My question may be a bit out of the ordinary.
A friend of mine had a life changing event in 2020 and could no longer pay his premium. He also could not log in in time to order it off due to the event. 
He will probably be able to log in again in half a year. But I had to notice that his name only shows "This name is not available" in the web search.
Is it possible that the account was deleted?
That would be an extreme pity, because the account was already about 15 years old.
And he is very much looking forward to coming back to SL.

17 answers to this question

8 minutes ago, Joran Yoshikawa said:

Hello all.
My question may be a bit out of the ordinary.
A friend of mine had a life changing event in 2020 and could no longer pay his premium. He also could not log in in time to order it off due to the event. 
He will probably be able to log in again in half a year. But I had to notice that his name only shows "This name is not available" in the web search.
Is it possible that the account was deleted?
That would be an extreme pity, because the account was already about 15 years old.
And he is very much looking forward to coming back to SL.

If someone cannot pay their bill, their account will get locked and after 6-9 months or so, their account will be terminated.  They'll have to work out past due amounts with LL if they want to possibly get their account back. Tell them to open a Support ticket.

9 hours ago, Alwin Alcott said:

old accounts are mostly recoverd by the owner now ( for a while)  at their accountpage. If not possible that way, there will be a message on the page to contact support

63896ea6e2158167fb32a55ccfe934a1.png

Yes, but given that the account was likely locked and ultimately removed due to non-payment, it is highly likely that the 'Reactivate' will not work for the user in question.  It seemed like an unnecessary step for this one.

13 minutes ago, Joran Yoshikawa said:

Ok I was just able to get his info and checked on the website. 
The account is NOT deleted. Its on hold. I just hope its still on hold when he returns

Thanks again for all the answers

086afeb8f3d364eba772429bd84fc075.png

Yes it will be don't worry. I got about 5-10 alts waiting "On hold" since 2016-17.

41 minutes ago, Joran Yoshikawa said:

The account is NOT deleted. Its on hold. I just hope its still on hold when he returns

Thanks again for all the answers

086afeb8f3d364eba772429bd84fc075.png

You should know that using someone else's login info is against the TOS and the other person can get in trouble for giving it to you.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You should know that using someone else's login info is against the TOS and the other person can get in trouble for giving it to you.

The current TOS doesn't mention anything about letting others access your account, so that's not necessarily true.

In the past it has been both against TOS, and permitted with the caveat that "You are solely responsible for all activities conducted through your Account whether or not you authorize the activity."

Edit: Apparently I can't Ctrl-F these days.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Thanks 1

From the Linden Lab Terms of Service (Sect. 4.2):

"You are solely responsible for all activities conducted through your Account whether or not you authorize the activity (except to the extent that activities occur because someone gains access to our system without using your identifiers and password). In the event that fraud, illegality or other conduct that violates this Agreement is discovered or reported (whether by you or someone else) that is connected with your Account, we may terminate your Account (or Accounts) as described in Section 5."

• Thanks 2

Yes I got the data to cancel the premium subscription. So I was authorized by the owner of the account. But it was already to late, because he wasnt able to reach me in time. There are reasons which I am not allowed to mention here. 
Also I know the owner of the account IRL. I would trust him with my accounts as well. 
Also it was out of question if that is permitted by TOS or not. Many people use common accounts for all kinds of stuff. Like bots for some buisness.
I dont see this to be worth a discussion.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, Joran Yoshikawa said:

Also it was out of question if that is permitted by TOS or not. Many people use common accounts for all kinds of stuff. Like bots for some buisness.
I dont see this to be worth a discussion.

LittleMe was wise to post that reminder about not sharing access information.  Anyone using the Internet these days should know that you shouldn't share login information, even with close friends. It's common sense advice, but a lot of people don't seem to use common sense. As Wulfie pointed out, LL does not say that you are violating the TOS if you ignore the advice.  However -- see the section of the TOS that I quoted -- they do tell you that you are responsible for anything that happens if you let someone else use your account. Under some circumstances, you can even lose the account.

As you pointed out, people do commonly share account information anyway.  There are good reasons. Members of a group that manage a business or land together may decide to give each other access to an "inventory avatar" or a "bookkeeping avatar", for example. People who are partnered often do too. Still, they are taking a risk. A disgruntled partner can steal L$ or delete inventory. A vindictive ex-friend can use the account for griefing or other activities that will get the actual account owner in trouble. If you follow conversations here in the forums, you'll see these things happening all the time. 

So, as soon as you said

19 hours ago, Joran Yoshikawa said:

you made it a relevant topic for discussion.

• Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 568 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.