Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

A brand new online social media platform that is specifically designed for SL users, and that is focused on photography and blogging, but has a Twitter-like element as well.

https://modemworld.me/2024/06/20/primfeed-a-dedicated-social-platform-for-second-life/

That seems interesting..but what you mentioned in your other post...I doubt it's going to be able to be discussed.

2 minutes ago, Modulated said:

That seems interesting..but what you mentioned in your other post...I doubt it's going to be able to be discussed.

We'll see -- if Soft is tweeting about it, and it's on the SL community resources pages, then maybe it's "official" enough?

Oh, and congrats on breaching the 1000th page of the thread! Woot you!

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

We'll see -- if Soft is tweeting about it, and it's on the SL community resources pages, then maybe it's "official" enough?

Visited the site , there is no about us section, I am interested to know exactly who is behind something like that.  The reason, they offer paid services...I would not give money to some person from SL without knowing who they are exactly for something like that..an outside business.

Edited by Modulated
  • Like 1

Just now, Modulated said:

Visited the site , there is no about us section, I am interested to know exactly who is behind something like that.  The reason, they offer paid services...I would not give money to some person from SL without knowing who they are exactly.

Agreed, and tbh I'm holding back a bit at first too.

However, the creator is the author of a couple of fairly popular SL-oriented services already, that serve the blogging community, so he has a reasonably good track record. And I presume LL wouldn't be including it in their community list if they weren't fairly sure he was legit.

Caution is not a bad thing, however.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Agreed, and tbh I'm holding back a bit at first too.

However, the creator is the author of a couple of fairly popular SL-oriented services already, that serve the blogging community, so he has a reasonably good track record. And I presume LL wouldn't be including it in their community list if they weren't fairly sure he was legit.

Caution is not a bad thing, however.

Per the article you shared:

One of the biggest aspects of Primfeed in this regarded is that right from launch it supports subscription payments in Linden Dollars. These can be made in-world at the Primfeed Payment Centre. At launch, a Pro subscription will be offered on a 4-week payment basis at L$1860 for 4 weeks or L$8870 for 24 weeks (representing a 12% saving of the 4-week rate).

“It’s important to me to offer a Linden Dollar payment service,” Luke told me. “Not only does it make Primfeed unique among social media platforms, but it does so at great convenience for SL users who might otherwise be put off by, or unable to make, payments in US dollar values. It also means that there is no requirement for users to have to provide personal payment data in order to use the service.”

Hmmm I dunno about that.......

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

A brand new online social media platform that is specifically designed for SL users, and that is focused on photography and blogging, but has a Twitter-like element as well.

Intriguing.  Given some of the issues that people have had with Flickr over recent years and how Twitter/X is increasingly becoming a cesspit I can see the logic in launching a service like this.

On the other hand a social media platform specifically designed for SL users isn't going to help LL garner any new sign-ups if people start posting there rather than on other platforms that non-SL users also frequent.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fluffy Sharkfin said:

Intriguing.  Given some of the issues that people have had with Flickr over recent years and how Twitter/X is increasingly becoming a cesspit I can see the logic in launching a service like this.

On the other hand a social media platform specifically designed for SL users isn't going to help LL garner any new sign-ups if people start posting there rather than on other platforms that non-SL users also frequent.

Both Flickr and Twitter are certainly problematic.

On the other hand, one of the things I like about both of those platforms is precisely that they are not encased in an SL bubble. I like that I can follow RL photographers on Flickr (and a few even follow me), and I certainly value the window that Twitter gives me on the wider world (the toxicity notwithstanding).

I find it odd, though, to hear SL Flickr users complain when they get faves from people not in SL, or see non-SL pics on their feed. And it's also true that some RL photographers actively avoid SL posters. I'd kind of like to break that barrier down, myself.

• Like 2

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

That should mean we'll see LL post on it, just like they do on all the other social platforms!

Yes, I think so.

But I don't think a Twitter or Facebook thread here would fly, even though LL posts on those too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That should mean we'll see LL post on it, just like they do on all the other social platforms!

Yes, I think so.

But I don't think a Twitter or Facebook thread here would fly, even though LL posts on those too.

Peeve: So what exactly would you want a thread about the new social platform / service for? Just to discuss as in, "Hey look, guys! New thing!"?

• Like 1

Peeve: Log in with your Second life username and password and no information on the page at all about who is behind it.
This way: dead in the water IMHO.
Smells like password harvesting this way.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

33 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

So, Primfeed launches.

I would assume it would be fine to discuss in its own thread as it's directly related to Second Life, but I can understand waiting for the mods to weigh in first.

As for peeves: I don't particularly like that it's integrated with things in-world (profile, login, payment). Just not a fan of that and wouldn't sign up for that reason on its own. I also prefer to be on social platforms with non-SL people in addition to SL people. If I really need a fully closed system for whatever reason (customer service, socializing, keeping up with sales, etc.), I'm already in some SL-only Discord servers.

The free account also limits image resolution, so that's pointless for me to bother with anyway.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: So what exactly would you want a thread about the new social platform / service for? Just to discuss as in, "Hey look, guys! New thing!"?

No, I'd like to hear about people's impressions and experiences of it. I'd like to know what works well, and what doesn't. And what, if any, reservations people might have about it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Smells like password harvesting this way.

He DOES have a track record with some existing platforms that are similarly integrated to SL. I am reasonably confident he's not a scammer. BUT, yeah, I'm a bit with you and @Ayashe Ninetails on this -- close integration with SL is one of the things I don't like about it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I also prefer to be on social platforms with non-SL people in addition to SL people.

Yes, this.

2 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

The free account also limits image resolution, so that's pointless for me to bother with anyway.

And this. And the premium service is not cheap.

I'll try it out on a free account, just to get a sense of it, but I'm iffy.

• Like 1

He DOES have a track record with some existing platforms that are similarly integrated to SL. I am reasonably confident he's not a scammer. BUT, yeah, I'm a bit with you and @Ayashe Ninetails on this -- close integration with SL is one of the things I don't like about it.

I know that's a bit hypocritical of me to say considering I use my in-world name on my Flickr account, but that's a choice I made and I can change it (or make a new account entirely) if I ever needed to. Having it locked-in to our in-world identities could potentially be an issue.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

No, I'd like to hear about people's impressions and experiences of it. I'd like to know what works well, and what doesn't. And what, if any, reservations people might have about it.

Gotcha. Well so far, you've got some of that here too! 🙂

• Like 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Gotcha. Well so far, you've got some of that here too! 🙂

Yes, and it's been interesting. But not from users of the platform! Of which there are, if what I'm seeing on Twitter is an indication, a fair number already.

I'll simply live my SL without it for now.
If LL does not take responsibility for the security of my data given there, I will not give my SL password to a third party website.

Edited by Sid Nagy

Well, I am peeved that when I tried to create an account on Primfeed I got an error message to say that I don't exist. :/ 

[Edit to clarify] The actual message was  The avatar `Garnet Psaltery` does not exists.

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
Added text.
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yes, and it's been interesting. But not from users of the platform! Of which there are, if what I'm seeing on Twitter is an indication, a fair number already.

Go make your thread and tag them in it to close if it's no bueno. I can't see why it wouldn't be okay, though. It's strictly SL, unlike other social media.

• Like 1

Just now, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Go make your thread and tag them in it to close if it's no bueno. I can't see why it wouldn't be okay, though. It's strictly SL, unlike other social media.

Fair point. And Quartz or Dina can close or delete it if they feel it's inappropriate.

• Like 1