Xbox Controller Settings (PC)

Loleeta Lennie

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 341 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

After tons of trial and error, I have finally "perfected" all the settings under "Preferences > Move and View > Joystick". 

Using the Xbox Controller, it's actually much easier to move your Avatar, but the best part is what it can do for Flycam.

Left Joystick: Forward, Backward, Walk Left, Walk Right

Right Joystick: Turn Camera Left, Right, Up, Down

A Button: Flycam Mode

B Button: Jump

Left Trigger: Fly Down

Right Trigger: Fly Up

** "Dead Zone" numbers can be slightly modified to properly respond to your Controller. Make small changes (in steps of 0.10 values at a time).

FLYCAM MODE:

Left/Right Joysticks control Pitch and Direction just like a real life Drone.

INSTRUCTIONS:

Match your Settings to those in the attached photo. 

** Do NOT remove any of the Negative ( - ) Settings. They control True Direction in relation to the Analog Joysticks.

*** Screenshot is from inside the Firestorm Viewer

SL Xbox Controller Perfect Settings 2022.jpg

Edited by Loleeta Lennie
  • Like 5

thanks for that I been looking everywhere for the current xbox mappings for FS, I am not a gamer and dont use a xbox, but one suggestion I would have is change z scale to 20.00 that way 'pushing' the controllers will zoom in , and of course feathering slow down or speed up the moverments

But now since I have gotten so good at using the 3D mouse over the years, I wonder if I will be able to get used to two handed control on the xbox controller lol

3 hours ago, Loleeta Lennie said:

😆 Yeah I haven't figured out how to remap the buttons yet. That's just how SL chose to map them automatically.

I added jump and fly cam buttons mapping settings in the Cool VL Viewer's joystick configuration floater, to replace the hard-coded button numbers in LL's code, as well as a ”run threshold”...

JoystickFloater.png.be491ea35b1d504cd9b1b952681eb939.png

Edited by Henri Beauchamp

11 hours ago, Loleeta Lennie said:

😆 Yeah I haven't figured out how to remap the buttons yet. That's just how SL chose to map them automatically.

Right i forgot you cant remap buttons in FS. I was under the impression that wss possible by now. In BD you can full remap all common actions plus some extra.
image.png.7b9b9c85a3944d69b47ba7b69b077b35.png

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 10/18/2022 at 5:35 PM, Loleeta Lennie said:

After tons of trial and error, I have finally "perfected" all the settings under "Preferences > Move and View > Joystick". 

Using the Xbox Controller, it's actually much easier to move your Avatar, but the best part is what it can do for Flycam.

** "Dead Zone" numbers can be slightly modified to properly respond to your Controller. Make small changes (in steps of 0.10 values at a time).

FLYCAM MODE:

INSTRUCTIONS:

** Do NOT remove any of the Negative ( - ) Settings. They control True Direction in relation to the Analog Joysticks.

hi all, I made a copy paste of all the values of the capture and I have a problem, when I press the joystick forward, the avatar walks backwards.and vice versa, why can it happen? It is the same when I fly or jump, what did I configure wrong? thank you.

On 10/18/2022 at 4:35 PM, Loleeta Lennie said:

FLYCAM MODE:

INSTRUCTIONS:

This is great, thanks for sharing. FS really should come with a selection of defaults for popular controllers, I'd say the XBOX controller is probably the most common though so maybe in time they will include this.

• Like 1

thats great. I tried a xbox controller and got the settings about right but I just got to used to using the 3d mouse. I'm sure gamers will love the controller for a flycam I talked to another video maker and he uses a flight controller so you also use your feet for some of the flycam movement 

11 hours ago, AmeliaJ08 said:

This is great, thanks for sharing. FS really should come with a selection of defaults for popular controllers, I'd say the XBOX controller is probably the most common though so maybe in time they will include this.

I'm so glad this is helping so many people!

It baffled me for the longest time. So, when I finally figured it all out, I felt the best thing I could do, is share it with everyone in SL. My little way of "giving back".

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, NiemDarr said:

I tried it and it did run for me sorry

Are you using an official Xbox controller? Or a generic version (recognized by your PC as "Generic/Gamepad"). I find this makes a huge difference. The Generic gamepads tend to be "wired" slightly different sometimes. The mappings I posted are specifically for official Xbox controllers.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, JC Snoodle said:

So the buttons work and it looks like joysticks try to move me and cam but they seem to rubber band immediately back instead of moving me. Any advice would be supper appreciated!

Do 'normal controls' without the controller behave normally without rubberbanding? What about in an empty region (for example: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Marafi/128/128/38 )

Just now, Quistess Alpha said:

Do 'normal controls' without the controller behave normally without rubberbanding? What about in an empty region (for example: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Marafi/128/128/38 )

Ok feeling very silly I just copied the xbox one settings and its working i think I was accidentally using the old xbox controller settings it seems to be working now sorry for my noobishness LOL

On 5/15/2023 at 7:38 PM, Nalates Urriah said:

Swap your axis +/-.

Which setting exactly the posted settings have no - axis settings from what i can see if you are talking about the top section only? Roll and zoom have negative values but the rest are positive.

To remove "rubber-banding" remove the checkmark on "3D Cursor".

To reverse the action of an axis, negate its scale value.  For example, try -3.00 instead of 3.00.

image.png.af16ad27b0f8a690869696408bb14e27.png

Edited by Ardy Lay

On 5/17/2023 at 2:01 AM, Loleeta Lennie said:

Are you using an official Xbox controller? Or a generic version (recognized by your PC as "Generic/Gamepad"). I find this makes a huge difference. The Generic gamepads tend to be "wired" slightly different sometimes. The mappings I posted are specifically for official Xbox controllers.

It is not official Xbox controler. it is a blackbone controler. Maybe it is the problem. Ty kisses

11 hours ago, NiemDarr said:

It is not official Xbox controler. it is a blackbone controler. Maybe it is the problem. Ty kisses

Mine is official I just need to figure out which setting to reverse Im thinking the Y axis stuff but if anyone knows that would be awesome TY

Ok maybe I'll stick with keyboard my brain hurts it this is so weird suddenly the axis is reversed again. Sorry I have zero clue as why it was fixed when i logged on then it broke again. Maybe a relog. Sharing my plight so anyone else does not feel alone LOL!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 341 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.