Map Privacy & Appear Offline - Would You Like This Feature?

Paulsian

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 594 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I'm thinking about future. New users will quickly figure out there is not an option to appear offline in second life. The users that will eventually graduate from roblox will go to meta (meta is working on setup like SL no VR headset required.) Wasnt that the big strategy SL has:  get fresh users when roblox users mature? And the lucky ones who discover sl and login are welcomed by a world with "nothing to do" or you get extremely lucky and new person sees past the flaws and primitives becoming intrigued and wonders how it all works, follows every rabbit hole, ends up here. 

SL is very raw and judging by other posts regarding other worlds that are failing, when a user gets bored it's game over. When they feel like they do not have privacy game over. When they feel like a company who has been around for 19 years clearly has not invested their profits back into their product it's game over. 

The only thing SL has going for it right now is that it is confusing by design to what end, clearly not retention.  

Edited by Paulsian
zap
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 1

On 10/14/2022 at 2:44 PM, Paulsian said:

I've seen the linden elites using the map privacy feature to hide their dot from the world map and was wondering if this is a feature other users might like to have as well.

I kind of feel strange when I travel around because I always feel like i'm on someone elses map like I have a tracking device on me.

Wonders why we do not have that feature yet. 

Pros & Cons?

I'll start with a Pro and a Con

Pro - Privacy - Not knowing who is online and near by would be more organic, less claustrophobic experience.

Con - May mess up avatar trackers others use, like for traffic.  

Was a time I took SL as serious as you do now,  not that its a bad thing I've been guilty of it too. but, sometimes you've got to open the front door, getting fresh air inside.

As a kind of newish person, I can say that this level of privacy you seem to think new people want just isn't even on my, or anyone I know's radar. I meet a lot of newer people, probably because I'm newer myself. We talk about all kinds of things, including things we wish sl had, too. If there are any of them that care about this level of being hidden, they never mention it. I don't think future ones will either. It might work well for games like WoW, but that's only because it's worked into gameplay which we don't really have here the same way.

Even though I meet a lot of new people I probably spend at least half of my time being by myself and wanting my alone time to do whatever I want to do even if it's just to decompress from being around other people. I use the privacy tools ll gave me to do that and it works just fine. I'm just learning how to do some stuff with creating, so I can understand why creating people sometimes just need their space. The tools we have are perfectly fine for that, though. This request sounds more like you want ll to help you completely avoid any and all other people which is easier to do on your own. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Solar Legion said:

The average user is not so into Paranoia and Security Theater and has not been since the day Second Life went online.

sit down already and stop pretending to be doing this for anyone but yourself.

My time in world is very short, getting less and less. This is for the future users. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

No, it is not. Period.

You do not speak for them. At all.

Stop. Pretending. To. Do. So.

I mean as an older user, I honestly don't give two craps about this. I mean I don't feel like my privacy being infringed upon, and even if I were a new user. I wouldn' care at all. I mean this isn't like NSA Big Brother looking over me. Its just a dot on a map. Lol 

8 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

No, it is not. Period.

You do not speak for them. At all.

Stop. Pretending. To. Do. So.

I hate when people say they are speaking on behalf of a group of people. No, you are not. You are speaking for yourself and your own selfish needs. Stop lying and just be honest. 

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 594 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.