Radio never rezzed and disappeared out of inventory

Robberinthemuseum

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 584 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello, I wonder if anyone can explain to me what happened. 

I bought a radio for my skybox, but when I tried to rez it, it never appeared on my land and disappeared from my inventory. I messaged the creator and they redelivered the item with a note saying that I "lost" it. I don't understand how you can lose things by rezzing them. I mean, wouldn't there still be a copy in my inventory? Bearing in mind, I've only been in SL since February, so I'm only used to dealing with newer objects. I don't have many skills and I'm still learning. 

• Like 1

6 answers to this question

My workshop is in a skybox, too.  Over the years, I have sometimes rezzed things that ended up under the skybox or inside the floor or walls. Those things can happen on the ground too.  I have occasionally lost physical objects that simply dropped to the ground, 1000 m below and took an age to find later.  There are a variety of tools you can use for finding things, like the Area Search tool in Firestorm and any number of devices you can buy in the Marketplace.  You can also try looking in the extreme SW corner of the region, at the region's garbage collection site < 0, 0, 0 >.  Sometimes the servers will dump things there if they can't figure out where they are supposed to be.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

Hello, I wonder if anyone can explain to me what happened. 

I bought a radio for my skybox, but when I tried to rez it, it never appeared on my land and disappeared from my inventory. I messaged the creator and they redelivered the item with a note saying that I "lost" it. I don't understand how you can lose things by rezzing them. I mean, wouldn't there still be a copy in my inventory? Bearing in mind, I've only been in SL since February, so I'm only used to dealing with newer objects. I don't have many skills and I'm still learning. 

If it was a no copy item, there wouldn't be a copy left in your inventory.  Often, a  relog.will make a 'lost' item magically reappear in inventory.

• Like 3

I remember a lot of posts in the past where things would disappear (but actually end up on the ground) when rezzed in a mesh skybox, and the general advice was that probably rezzing something onto a mesh house "floor" was the issue; and as Rollig said, the object ended up on the ground. 

In those old cases, if I remember reading correctly, the advice was on how to Rez extremely carefully (due to the "rezzing on mesh" issue), or to Rez the object onto a prim. 

All this assuming your skybox or rezzing surface was mesh, of course!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but if the radio had an "llDie()" command in its LSL scripts as some security feature then..that would "delete" the object from in-world.

That would be a mildly annoying security feature. I struggle to think of a situation where I would script a radio like that. On the other hand, it's possible that the OP is very close to using all of the available land impact on his parcel. Under normal circumstances, the region's servers should refuse to rez anything that will overload the L.I. allowance, but on occasion I have known an object to rez and then be immediately returned to someone's Lost & Found folder. I suppose a no-copy item might simply vanish if that happened. Unlikely, but worth considering.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I have known an object to rez and then be immediately returned to someone's Lost & Found folder. I suppose a no-copy item might simply vanish if that happened. Unlikely, but worth considering.

Aha! That sparked an idea. If @Robberinthemuseum rezzed the radio and it put him over the parcel land impact allowance, maybe it, and at least one other item, got returned to his Lost and Found folder as a coalesced object. In that case, the coalesced object could have the name of any of the objects that it contains. Look for ANYTHING in your Lost and Found folder. If there's a thing there that looks like a stack of little cubes, go to a sandbox (not your home parcel; being close to the land's limit is what caused the problem, in this scenario), and rez the object.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 584 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.