Skybox Theme?

diamond Marchant

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Would a skybox theme make sense as a Linden Home?

I have observed that some residents ignore ground level and confine their activities to a skybox.

Should LL consider formalizing this as a skybox theme? The idea would be to place skyboxes above 2000m and prohibit building below. There would be a number of skybox options in the house controller.

This allows LL to create water regions without rezzing anything at ground level. Unlike ground-based Linden Homes, you could roll out this theme with very few regions and add more only if they were in demand.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

Would a skybox theme make sense as a Linden Home?

I have observed that some residents ignore ground level and confine their activities to a skybox.

Should LL consider formalizing this as a skybox theme? The idea would be to place skyboxes above 2000m and prohibit building below. There would be a number of skybox options in the house controller.

This allows LL to create water regions without rezzing anything at ground level. Unlike ground-based Linden Homes, you could roll out this theme with very few regions and add more only if they were in demand.

I think that is a good idea, since water regions is so expensive, and LL will not add them to connect continents. These regions with open water and skyboxes, would pay for themselves. LL could offer a small platform with a rezzer for mole made skyboxes, same way as there are for houses.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yes, YES, to both Marianne and diamond!  I love that idea and have thought of it many times.  The only negative I can think of is that, unless a variety of elevations was possible as well, there might be less privacy for the skyboxes.  I generally put up a skybox above my Linden home to log into and change outfits in, etc., and that might feel less private than now.

• Like 1

• Moles

I offered that very same suggestion (counts fingers... 12 months in a year... divide by π... carry the 2...) 3 years ago. It was ruled out for a variety of reasons I won't/can't get into other than to say 'it was a no'... but yes, we did consider it. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, Abnor Mole said:

I offered that very same suggestion (counts fingers... 12 months in a year... divide by π... carry the 2...) 3 years ago. It was ruled out for a variety of reasons I won't/can't get into other than to say 'it was a no'... but yes, we did consider it. 

heavy sigh... but thank you for the response!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, AzureWaves said:

Skybox theme wont work because residents would still put up security systems to evict people for sailing over their land.

Yes, most likely. They put up security that does not comply with the rules now also.

It is it no bulletproof way to stop a security orb 2000 m up, from working all the way down?

But Abnor said it won't be, so it is just wishful thinking.

Thinking more, the skyboxes we will not get, could be placed in a zigzag pattern. One skybox home at 2000 m, one next to it but 2200 m up, the next 2400 m up, 2600 m, 2400 m, 2200 m up, 2000 m, continue this way so skyboxes at your level are several hundred m away.

• Like 6

20 hours ago, Abnor Mole said:

So no George Jetson homes. Oh well.

jetsons.jpg

Edited by Frigga Freidman
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

On 8/31/2022 at 10:12 AM, Abnor Mole said:

I offered that very same suggestion

More evidence that @Abnor Moleshould be running this joint

Not surprised at all that a skybox Linden Home would violate some arbitrary rule created by someone with a "vision". An example of such a rule would be "Fantasseria can only be entered through a single entrance that has lightening and waves".

In practice (setting aside the "vision"), Bellisseria appears (to me) to be successful because it lowers the barrier to entry for new residents who desire object permanence AND is good value compared to other options for land-owning. Having arbitrary rules that limit what a Linden Home can be seems counter-productive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, diamond Marchant said:

More evidence that @Abnor Moleshould be running this joint

Not surprised at all that a skybox Linden Home would violate some arbitrary rule created by someone with a "vision". An example of such a rule would be "Fantasseria can only be entered through a single entrance that has lightening and waves".

In practice (setting aside the "vision"), Bellisseria appears (to me) to be successful because it lowers the barrier to entry for new residents who desire object permanence AND is good value compared to other options for land-owning. Having arbitrary rules that limit what a Linden Home can be seems counter-productive.

I would think that the reasons for not pursuing the idea of 'skybox' homes, or underwater homes for that matter, are logistical rather than to do with anyone's 'vision', problems with parcel boundaries among them. (I believe that Abnor discussed a different set of logistical reasons for not providing an urban, brownstone-type theme a while ago.) As to the Fantasy theme's entry point, seems to me that's entirely in keeping with the theme!

• Like 4

Unless they can control the ground level, residents in SL ignore rules all the time. They'll just think "here is an empty water parcel for me to rez an island/house/random structures" vs living in a skybox above 2000m. It happens all the time. LL haven't got the resources to constantly return people's things.

• Like 6

22 hours ago, Frigga Freidman said:

reasons ... are logistical

Not following what logistics has to do with this. Perhaps "practical" is a better word choice here.

Skyboxes are a part of Second Life and are rented successfully on mainland. If the show runners at Linden Lab liked them, they would provide them. They evidently don't like them.

Edited by diamond Marchant
usual typos
  • Like 1

• Moles

Practicality would be the word. Just like how many theme idea do not lend themselves well to a Linden Homes setting, we decided that a purely skybox centered theme also was likely too impractical and not a good fit.

Edit: But we did leave the option open across all themes to those who wanted to use one as long as it is above 2000m

Edited by Abnor Mole
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 3

In the event -- entirely hypothetical, since the idea has been considered and rejected -- that there were skybox Linden Homes, how to people think the regions themselves would look?

That's what concerns me about the idea -- one of the great advantages Bellisseria has is that all the regions are beautifully laid out and landscaped by the Moles, but it's difficult to imagine what even they could do with a region comprising, at ground level, 20-something empty parcels that residents might choose to fill with pretty much anything, or nothing at all.

That's my main worry  -- that the regions would probably end up being a visual mess, completely out of keeping with the rest of Bellisseria.

If LL were to adopt the idea of free skyboxes for premium residents, with all the parcel LI available for furniture and decoration, I think it should be completely separate project -- maybe some of the deserted Mainland regions could be used.    But I think it should be complementary project, not part of Bellisseria.

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 614 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.