Large Map not accurate in updating

Count Burks

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 655 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It took a long time before the large world map was functioning again. One day it started working again but not as it did before. I often hear complaints about the slower updating of tiles, still that is a small issue.

What I find more annoying is the fact that once a region gets relocated or is no longer available these old tiles do not update. They just stay on the map and become more visible when zooming in and out on the map. 

@Linden Lab it is in your best interest to fix this issue, it cannot be very hard to clean up older map tiles. I am sure many people get annoyed by old tiles that remain on the map for over a year.

Thank you

3 hours ago, Aishagain said:

I may be wrong but I suspect that errors and inconsistencies with the world map was one of the subjects of the maintenance carried out just over an hour ago by LL.

If that was the case it did not work as the tiles are still there.

I don't have any reliable timing for how long the updates take, and it could depend on both which viewer you are using and when you last logged in, but I do see what looks like local caching of the map tiles. Somebody who knows the viewer code may well be able to tell us exactly what happens. I think I know who I can trust, and I suspect the core of the problem is still on the Linden-side. I have been watching the new connection between Satori and the Newbrooke regions, and it does look as though there are graphics lingering for non-existent regions, distinct from the slow appearance of new regions.

Again, I may well be wrong but the present plethora of maintenance operations being carried out by LL seems to me to be a belated and rather clumsy attempt by Operations to deal with a significant volume of outstanding system issues within SecondLife that have accumulated since Oz Linden's retirement.

Quite what the product of this work will be I cannot predict but the map tiles issue is but one of them.

38 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

Again, I may well be wrong but the present plethora of maintenance operations being carried out by LL seems to me to be a belated and rather clumsy attempt by Operations to deal with a significant volume of outstanding system issues within SecondLife that have accumulated since Oz Linden's retirement.

Quite what the product of this work will be I cannot predict but the map tiles issue is but one of them.

Map tile issues are nothing new.

@Love ZhaoyingThe maptile issue (which?, there have been so many!)  is only one of the outstanding issues.  Teleport failures (not disconnections), friends list mispopulation, to use their term "agent presence" and the others that need attention and correction, all call upon SL Operations' time.

Just now, Aishagain said:

@Love ZhaoyingThe maptile issue (which?, there have been so many!)  is only one of the outstanding issues.  Teleport failures (not disconnections), friends list mispopulation, to use their term "agent presence" and the others that need attention and correction, all call upon SL Operations' time.

Sorry, I was trying to address what I thought was the thread topic and not all / a list of issues.

Thanks,

Love

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 655 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.