Hud does not open in any viewer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 minutes ago, Mina Amorosi said:

After the last recent update the HUD objects no longer respond when clicking on them.

The last recent update of what? (viewer? and if so which viewer?)  

Is it all your HUD's that you normally use that are no longer responding?  Are you in an area that allows scripts or where the HUD's worked previously?  What type of HUD's are these? 

Have you tried using a new copy of the HUD?  (either unpacking it from it's original box, if you kept it, or getting a redelivery of the item).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As Moira indicated, we need a bit more info.

Out of the blue, on top of what she asked above...

Sometimes huds overlap on your screen, but invisibly. If they are set too close together when closed, the invisible part (the size they are when open) interferes with the opening of nearby huds. Object edit the hud positions on your screen so they are separate.

• Like 1

Em 08/04/2022 às 15:41, MoiraKathleen disse:

A última atualização recente de quê? (espectador?, em caso afirmativo, qual visualizador e?)  

São todos os seus HUDs que você normalmente usa que não estão mais respondendo? Você está em uma área que permite scripts ou onde os HUD's funcionaram anteriormente? Que tipo de HUDs são esses? 

Você já tentou usar uma nova cópia do HUD? (seja desembalá-lo da caixa original, se você o guardou, ou obter uma nova entrega do item).

Thanks for replying Moira! They are head and body control huds that I've always used without any problem. And they are not together on the screen. I've teleported to other places to test, relogged, removed them and put them again and nothing. And it's not script ban setting. After a while they start working again. But it has already happened 2 times for several minutes. It had never happened and I already have 12 years of SL and intimacy with hud system controls. I use Firestorm Viewer. The update was in the official Viewer where there were corrections of objects in the folders. And at this moment that I am writing I went to see the number referring to the update and there is already a new one. The third in 7 days. 👉 6.6.3.573882

Edited by Mina Amorosi

19 minutes ago, Mina Amorosi said:

Thanks for replying Moira! They are head and body control huds that I've always used without any problem. And they are not together on the screen. I've teleported to other places to test, relogged, removed them and put them again and nothing. And it's not script ban setting. After a while they start working again. But it has already happened 2 times for several minutes. It had never happened and I already have 12 years of SL and intimacy with hud system controls. I use Firestorm Viewer. The update was in the official Viewer where there were corrections of objects in the folders. And at this moment that I am writing I went to see the number referring to the update and there is already a new one. The third in 7 days. 👉 6.6.3.573882

If they started working again on their own, I wonder if it was a connection or resource issue.   

If you're using Firestorm viewer you might want to consider Tarik's suggestion about contacting their in-world support group to see if they might have some suggestions or to see if they've heard of others having similar issues.  I haven't heard of similar issues being reported by others here in the forum recently. 

If the 6.6.3.573882 update you're referring to is a version of the official LL viewer, that wouldn't be relevant to your problem if you weren't using that viewer (and as Tarik mentioned above, a viewer update should not prevent HUD scripts from running).

And if you are using LL's 6.6.3.573882 I would suggest downloading and installing 6.6.2.573358 which is the current default LL viewer.  (6.6.3.573882 is a pre-release version that is made available for people who choose to download it to do some testing before it's made the default version). 

A viewer update is very unlikely to break HUDs.

However, a crash can, in some circumstances, permanently break any HUDs that you are wearing at the time of the crash. If you suspect this, then delete those HUDs and either

• Rez a clean copy of them from your saved backup
  • Or, if you don't have a saved backup, get a redelivery of the product from the creator
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Mina Amorosi said:

After a while they start working again. But it has already happened 2 times for several minutes.

This is by far the weirdest part of this problem, which should be a big clue about what's going wrong. The possible connection issue suggested by @MoiraKathleen seems reasonable, but I'd think other things besides HUDs would have similar or worse problems. And resource issues affecting HUDs often result from extreme script lag on the region, but you've tried multiple regions and get the same problem so assuming they're not all script-lagged, that seems unlikely.

But speaking of resources, maybe I'm wrong to focus on the server side. What if your PC is severely memory-limited and somehow those particular HUDs are demanding more than you have available, so it starts thrashing, taking forever to load the HUD textures (or whatever)? In theory this could even be triggered by a viewer update if it used just enough more memory. This sounds pretty far-fetched, but it might be useful to see the text from your Help / About Firestorm / Copy to Clipboard just to make sure. (And you don't have other big programs running or browser tabs open, more than usual, right?)

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Qie Niangao said:

This is by far the weirdest part of this problem, which should be a big clue about what's going wrong. The possible connection issue suggested by @MoiraKathleen seems reasonable, but I'd think other things besides HUDs would have similar or worse problems. And resource issues affecting HUDs often result from extreme script lag on the region, but you've tried multiple regions and get the same problem so assuming they're not all script-lagged, that seems unlikely.

But speaking of resources, maybe I'm wrong to focus on the server side. What if your PC is severely memory-limited and somehow those particular HUDs are demanding more than you have available, so it starts thrashing, taking forever to load the HUD textures (or whatever)? In theory this could even be triggered by a viewer update if it used just enough more memory. This sounds pretty far-fetched, but it might be useful to see the text from your Help / About Firestorm / Copy to Clipboard just to make sure. (And you don't have other big programs running or browser tabs open, more than usual, right?)

I was looking to update the other day and was reading the comment section on Firestorms latest update.

I don't know if it's common with each patch, but there were a few people in the comments section complaining about having terrible script lag after the update..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I was looking to update the other day and was reading the comment section on Firestorms latest update.

I don't know if it's common with each patch, but there were a few people in the comments section complaining about having terrible script lag after the update..

All scripts run server side. The viewer has very little to do with scripts.

Pressing Ctrl-Shift-1 opens the viewer stats panel. Look at % scripts run to see lag. 100% = no lag. 25% is high lag. If your sailing it is really difficult in 25% of scripts ran.

1 minute ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Pressing Ctrl-Shift-1 opens the viewer stats panel. Look at % scripts run to see lag. 100% = no lag. 25% is high lag. If your sailing it is really difficult in 25% of scripts ran.

Just saying what was mentioned and that others were having the same problem after.. Be it scripts or a setting or whatever, they might have a common problem with each other.

9 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Right, so the "script lag" comments weren't about real script lag (it would take some serious viewer bugs to affect that), but could plausibly reflect changes in the viewer's ability to display script-driven scene updates (such as HUD display). I took that hypothesis in the direction of running low on client memory (some HUDs are pretty extravagant), but I suppose other client-side effects also could manifest as apparent "script lag."

Reading some of the Firestorm blog comments that Ceka mentioned, I saw a suggestion to make sure the viewer is whitelisted as described in https://wiki.firestormviewer.org/antivirus_whitelisting because apparently some things won't be completely blocked but will take a really long time to find other paths around a blocked path, hence long delays. I've never seen this, but I can almost imagine it (perhaps especially in the case of the Legacy HUD that uses a completely separate connection for its MoaP display surface). I've never whitelisted anything myself, so a bit grasping at straws here.

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 696 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.