Discrimination rules to be added to TOS?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 680 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

22 minutes ago, Kiera Clutterbuck said:

Sometimes I'm afraid to post anything when I see how easily we misunderstand each other. We only see the misinterpretations when someone speaks up, but what are those who stay silent sometimes thinking!? 💀

Oh well........

Yeah, granted the SL forums were a lot worse 11, 12 years ago... in those days there was a real danger of things spilling over into real life. Mind you, that's still a danger, but it was worse back then.

The difference between now and then is that ten years ago it was possible to find places on the internet where you could talk about your RL that were relatively safe but now that everything's either reddit or facebook not so much.

Now the "anything you say can be used to stalk you" is an internet-wide rule; not just for the sl forums.

Edited by Han Held
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Han Held said:

The difference between now and then is that ten years ago it was possible to find places on the internet where you could talk about your RL that were relatively safe but now that everything's either reddit or facebook not so much.

The whole business of sharing your life on public Internet forums is really a phenomenon of the past ten or fifteen years.  It's worth remembering that there was a time, not long ago, when we wouldn't think of telling the world what we ate for lunch or what our sister-in-law said over supper last night.  You can make life less stressful by keeping most of those details to yourself or sharing them in person with a close friend. The rest of us don't need to know.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Rolig Loon said:

The whole business of sharing your life on public Internet forums is really a phenomenon of the past ten or fifteen years.  It's worth remembering that there was a time, not long ago, when we wouldn't think of telling the world what we ate for lunch or what our sister-in-law said over supper last night.  You can make life less stressful by keeping most of those details to yourself or sharing them in person with a close friend. The rest of us don't need to know.

Yes and no. Bear in mind I used to be a regular on #depressed (and for five minutes, an OP)  back in 1998. Yes, the whole social media take on sharing mainly came about with or after myspace. There were different places (message boards of different kinds) where people would both get formal support (as in support groups) and also just shoot the breeze about what they did at work and things going on in their life. IRC (replaced ...poorly... by Discord), comment pages, forums of different kinds.

I'm talking circa 1998, 2000 and I'd be surprised if that wasn't a thing as far back as 94 or 96...

I think the difference is those places were largely obscure and semi-private. Things such as the off-topic area of a hobby board (which is more or less what we're posting in). People would talk about their day or share photos of somewhere they went because these chances were low that someone would know (or care) about the posters of bobs-bike-shop whereas nowdays everyone's out on facebook or reddit (humanity's single neck, as it were) which makes sharing much more risky.

I had a point when I hit 'reply', I swear to god I did!

SorryIBabbledSoMuchKennethParcellGIF.gif.5c5c36f26dbf926d09dd70cd2599e4cb.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Strikes me it has become more dangerous since the advent of cancel culture and political correctness wherein one needs to be appearing to toe the line of the new culture. There are those who cannot abide with someone on the internet not having a socially acceptable opinion.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Han Held said:

I think the difference is those places were largely obscure and semi-private.

I think you're right. And that world is no longer with us.  Today you really can be safer and more stress-free by narrowing the circle of people you share your life with.  Strangers can be ... well, .... strange.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Han Held said:

I think the difference is those places were largely obscure and semi-private.

Interesting observation. I was definitely only on LGBT chat "forums" (chat rooms, actually) back then. A rare example of how we / I are LESS self-selecting now. Or whatever the term is.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

The whole business of sharing your life on public Internet forums is really a phenomenon of the past ten or fifteen years. 

In the past I'd start to type and think "omg, the entire world could see this".  🤣    Then I realized, who would want to see it....

24 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Strikes me it has become more dangerous since the advent of cancel culture and political correctness wherein one needs to be appearing to toe the line of the new culture. There are those who cannot abide with someone on the internet not having a socially acceptable opinion.

I think you need to talk to all the people throughout History who were murdered for having a different opinion. Nothing new going on today. 

• Like 1

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:
3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I think you need to talk to all the people throughout History who were murdered for having a different opinion. Nothing new going on today. 

That is not a justification. Aren't we all so much smarter now with social studies and data?

I'm just saying so many claim this big horrific thing is going on that never existed before for humankind where all these people can't speak anymore!!    But this has always has been a dynamic as society changed.  And it's less severe now, not more.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'm just saying so many claim this big horrific thing is going on that never existed before for humankind where all these people can't speak anymore!!    But this has always has been a dynamic as society changed.  And it's less severe now, not more.

Well maybe less about 'can't' vs afraid to because of potential ramifications. Like the forum as an example with its new rules. It is not that I can't say certain things, but that I have some fears of doing so because of post and account deletions.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
9 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well maybe less about 'can't' vs afraid to because of potential ramifications. Like the forum as an example with its new rules. It is not that I can't say certain things, but that I have some fears of doing so because of post and account deletions.

I'm not sure we can legitimately compare forum dynamics to society as it has evolved throughout the ages though. My head explodes trying to do so. 😄

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
12 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'm not sure we can legitimately compare forum dynamics to society as it has evolved throughout the ages though. My head explodes trying to do so. 😄

Well the forum is to a degree a microcosm of the new social at large. IMO.

Freedom is curtailed to a degree in both, yes, but not for the same reason.

Here they don't want the public to think (or know...lol) we're a bunch of fighting crazies. Not good for their business, don't think.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 2

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

Here they don't want the public to think (or know...lol) we're a bunch of fighting crazies.

I don't know about that. It has been assumed by residents as being the justification without being validated by LL itself from an official announcement. And be that as it may, it still points out that if it is the case, LL is doing so from the perspective of what the public at large and outside of S/L itself, would find to be acceptable discourse. So i disagree that the reasoning is different.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

That's what alts are for.  One can berate and bully on their alt without fear of looking like a hypocrite.  If there's one thing i do admire about you, Arielle, is that you speak your mind, as I do, without hiding behind an alt.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Here they don't want the public to think (or know...lol) we're a bunch of fighting crazies.

I don't know about that. It has been assumed by residents as being the justification without being validated by LL itself from an official announcement. And be that as it may, it still points out that if it is the case, LL is doing so from the perspective of what the public at large and outside of S/L itself, would find to be acceptable discourse. So i disagree that the reasoning is different.

Well I guess I just trust what I read as it makes sense to me...that the fighting was getting to be too much because of RL issues (I believe that was said by Kiera at Inara's website). Don't quote me on that though...go read it.

• Like 1

Just now, Rowan Amore said:

That's what alts are for.  One can berate and bully on their alt without fear of looking like a hypocrite.  If there's one thing i do admire about you, Arielle, is that you speak your mind, as I do, without hiding behind an alt.  

Yah I been seeing so many talking of having alts and seeing clear indications of others actually doing so that I am starting to wonder whether I should be doing the same. Think I'd probably just leave a medium if it gets to that point that I'd feel a need to.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well I guess I just trust what I read as it makes sense to me...that the fighting was getting to be too much because of RL issues (I believe that was said by Kiera at Inara's website). Don't quote me on that though...go read it.

I don't or didn't know Inara had a site so no idea what you are talking about there.

5 hours ago, belindacarson said:

RL adults "roleplaying" as children makes me want to call the FBI

Something I find curious about people's reactions to child avatars is this tendency to blame the potential victim. I have for example setup a tween avatar (10-12 year old look) out of curiosity and though I don't rp it, moved around some public areas to gauge the reactions to it rather than my normal older look. I find that the ones who do approach or contact me then are different from the ones that approach or contact my older self. The approach itself tends to be different too as the ones doing so, do so as if I was a child, regardless if I was acting the part. Some of those approaching had a somewhat motherly, nurturing sense to them whereas some had something more which I didn't care to explore where it might potentially go.

Long and short is that it struck me that in general it is less about the younger avatars than about those that approach or feel an attraction to such, as that is where there might be some potential concern.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Yah I been seeing so many talking of having alts and seeing clear indications of others actually doing so that I am starting to wonder whether I should be doing the same. Think I'd probably just leave a medium if it gets to that point that I'd feel a need to.

I have alts myself, but never use them in the forums.. Well one time I did, but that was way back in the older forums and it was for a joke..I believe it was messing with Phill.. hehehe

I think my first post was so obvious too.. I was like, Hi this is Such and such..(I can't even remember the user name of that one)  But it was something like, Hi everyone my name is bla bla bla and I am in no way related to that biotch Ceka Cianci.. God I can't stand her!

hehehe

The only reason i ever rolled any was to run back through the start areas.. Then they just rot away and i don't really use them ever again unless it's like something silly like a picture..

I use three characters out of any alts I've ever made. One is for getting away from everyone.. The other is more just trying things out on  and  testing ,like when the grid is acting up, I have a way to see if something isn't rezzing on me.. It gives me an outside perspective of what others might be seeing..  They all have good mesh things though.. I just have to have those on my alts if I'm gonna use them..

I never really understood rolling an alt just for the forum.. Seems like kind of a waste to me.. let alone if I say something, You can bet I want it to come from me. hehehe  I aint fraid a no ghosts.:D

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 680 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.