HDMI broken on a 3070 card?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I can't find anything on this via Google so thought I would ask here.  

Friday I woke up to a black screen. Monitor appeared to be fine (and it was). Took computer into shop. They got it running again with no parts -- in their mind an Alienware proprietary parts issue (they are not fans) which causes heat build up.  

Anyway. Computer when picked up still in black screen mode when connected at home in its regular HDMI manner.  Today after much experimentation with other monitors, cables and the like HDMI no longer works. The computer is currently using a display cable (not sure if that is the correct term).  Anyway while it is working again I can no longer get 1440 resolution. I am stuck at 1080 with no option to change in either Win10 or Nvidia. 

The computer repair gave me some options which were over my head tech wise. This was an expensive machine and I have no desire to start over BUT "logically" it seems possible to not so techie me that the HDMI function on the 3070 died -- thus black screen problem which persisted after being "fixed" so far as the HDMI function.    Is this a possibility?    I may just be living in a not so pretty world.  But didn't lose any settings or data so that's all good.  

Thanks for any ideas.  

First ensure that the ports are clean (no dust, etc..) and not loose on the computer and the monitor (though the repair techs probably did that for the computer).  

Then you probably need to confirm whether the computer HDMI output is working or not -- versus the monitor HDMI input -- versus the cable.  So, maybe try a different cable first.  Then try an HDMI (from computer) to DVI (on monitor).  Also try the reverse:  DVI (from computer) to HDMI (on monitor).  Assuming you have those types of conversion cables available.

That's all that comes to mind off the top of my head.

Some HDMI cables only work in one direction, perhaps the cable ends were swapped around somehow? You say the shop got it working again, did they use your original HDMI cable at that time, or their own?

If your GPU has multiple HDMI sockets, maybe try a different socket? And same with tv/monitor socket(s) too?

Lastly, try a different HDMI cable?

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

I can't find anything on this via Google so thought I would ask here.  

Friday I woke up to a black screen. Monitor appeared to be fine (and it was). Took computer into shop. They got it running again with no parts -- in their mind an Alienware proprietary parts issue (they are not fans) which causes heat build up.  

Anyway. Computer when picked up still in black screen mode when connected at home in its regular HDMI manner.  Today after much experimentation with other monitors, cables and the like HDMI no longer works. The computer is currently using a display cable (not sure if that is the correct term).  Anyway while it is working again I can no longer get 1440 resolution. I am stuck at 1080 with no option to change in either Win10 or Nvidia. 

The computer repair gave me some options which were over my head tech wise. This was an expensive machine and I have no desire to start over BUT "logically" it seems possible to not so techie me that the HDMI function on the 3070 died -- thus black screen problem which persisted after being "fixed" so far as the HDMI function.    Is this a possibility?    I may just be living in a not so pretty world.  But didn't lose any settings or data so that's all good.  

Thanks for any ideas.  

Your display cable could be limited. Be sure it can do the specified resolution, some max out at 1080.  As far as HDMI not working,  if you updated any drivers I would check there first. It is possible the port is bad, it happens.

• Thanks 1

Hi all and thanks. All those things were checked plus about three hours more wok (not by me but my techiest friend) . Alas. 

Drivers reinstalled. Only the data port works AND while Nvidia recognizes my Acer monitor, Windows refuses to and reverts to default settings over and over again only enabling a lower resolution than was working before. 

In the end this seems to be a Windows update issue. A friend had an update the same evening with the computer shutting off. She got hers started again.

I do know that the last Windows update broke my equalizer software which now closes whenever anyone tries to change the settings from the computer's defaults. Other comments on the web point to similar black screen issues after the latest update.

So for now I will just adapt to a somewhat fuzzy screen and check now and then to see if things have been fixed. They have been before for me so fingers crossed. Meanwhile I am continuing to bond with my old notebook. It won't run SL in any comfortable manner though.

Thanks for you ideas.

• Sad 1

Update for anyone who may have this problem in the future. Turns out that it was NOT a Windows update (for me anyway).   Someone found a data port to data port cable and THAT got everything back.  So by bypassing the HDMI which I had been using for over a year worked. Either the HDMI on the monitor (three years old) or on the card went out.  Nice that there are options built in. 

SL is once again beautiful!   

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 720 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.