To AR Is Human . . .

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 698 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Then by all means, go ahead and AR / Report Luna.  But please, don't tell us. Otherwise you are having an "AR Party".  Wouldn't want those!

LOL Hey, I'm just talkin' History, I mean 'Herstory'.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

You're missing my point, Arielle. I acknowledged that the statement "People of colour are disadvantaged" is subject to debate. I am confident that I know who would win such a debate, but that's not the issue: it's a proposition that can be tested and verified or disproven.

It does not, merely because you don't think it's true, constitute an insult. And, more to the point, in the context of this forum, I am pretty confident it is NOT an ARable offense.

And yet, as I have suggested, to speak of "white privilege" is to say almost exactly the same thing.

The point that Paul and Maddy, in different ways and from different angles, are making is applicable: the issue resides in how one says it, rather than in the semantic freight of what one says.

I think - from what I am reading between the posts - that an "ARable Offense" is a "very personal thing". 

If someone is "triggered" - well then, it "must be an ARable Offense"!  

Regardless of the topic, rules, etc.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It's not prejudicial to state the fact that men and white people had advantages which allowed them to dominate certain professions.

Certain professions provides some degree of context because there are a lot of other professions where a white male does not dominate and is in fact considered a liability. Every race and gender have talents the majority of others do not.  Personally I think a woman of any color with intelligence and good communication skills, has more ability to garner privilege then any males in almost any profession.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I think - from what I am reading between the posts - that an "ARable Offense" is a "very personal thing". 

That to some extent is the exact thing this thread was designed to address.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/10/2022 at 2:13 PM, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Rather, I'd like to know how you use ARs.

Do you have a "philosophy" that guides how you wield this tool (if at all)? A "standard operating procedure"?

Do you have views on how others should, or shouldn't use it?

Over the years, as SL has grown, bringing in all walks of life and expectations, those that view SL more than just a "Game" feel the need for AR's regarding our groups, clubs, events," griefing " and those that find pleasure in making mischief/drama for other SL citizens!

The ankle biters who try to copy bot, hack accounts, crash sims for enjoyment just because they think they can. Those people, I believe, need to be reported. Those that use accounts to spam "click bait" in group discussions need to be reported, as so many groups now do not allow "Group Chat" simply because of this issue. Group chat can be informative, fun, helpful and when an owner restricts group chat because of this reason, it limits our ability to get questions answered that maybe answered from another group member rather than bothering the creators themselves.

SL also has their share of Stalkers. Relationships in SL are numerous ! As relationships change with growth, some people find it hard to let the other person go or they choose to make SL a problem for the other party. Some people do not know about the steps Linden Labs takes when a "stalker" takes it to another level. Linden labs will work with the Police when a person becomes violent, disruptive and threatening to not only the person of their interest but those around that person. AR's NEED to be taken seriously and not simply used for those who get irritated from another avatar.

We always have a choice! We can leave the area, we can Block, we can install Security orbs and we can let those near to us be aware of the actions of some avatars and use the Banning Rights to keep those "Problem Avatars" out of their space or club!

I for one use AR's when I feel the avatar that is in question repeatedly disrupts chat, clubs/events or places dangerous click bait into chat groups.... we need to use common sense when sending Abuse Reports is what it comes down to. After all, this is OUR Second Life! More than a "game" to us, we need to educate those who have not yet discovered what SL can be to others!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:
8 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It's not prejudicial to state the fact that men and white people had advantages which allowed them to dominate certain professions.

Certain professions provides some degree of context because there are a lot of other professions where a white male does not dominate and is in fact considered a liability. Every race and gender have talents the majority of others do not.  Personally I think a woman of any color with intelligence and good communication skills, has more ability to garner privilege then any males in almost any profession.

I agree with some of that, but the reason women and black people weren't allowed into the space program is because many thought they were inept.  Big difference.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I can place people in a defensive position without using trigger words.
I can place people in a comfortable position while using trigger words.
I can make people smile by setting them on fire.

Communicating is a skill I like to practice.

But can you use Tigger words? Worraworraworraworra

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

I agree with some of that, but the reason women and black people weren't allowed into the space program is because many thought they were inept.  Big difference.

60 years ago yes, so why keep bringing up stuff that isn't relevant today? Personally again I think you do a disservice to people of colour by the constant implication that they are victims and at the low end of the social scale when they are no longer there. When you see them that way, it is you who has the issue, not the people you rail against.

• Like 2

Just now, Arielle Popstar said:
5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

60 years ago yes, so why keep bringing up stuff that isn't relevant today? Personally again I think you do a disservice to people of colour by the constant implication that they are victims and at the low end of the social scale when they are no longer there. When you see them that way, it is you who has the issue, not the people you rail against.

You don't live in my country and see what I do, missy, or Mr.

8 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:
11 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

That to some extent is the exact thing this thread was designed to address.

I feel like I done won some sorta prize! Like a Kewpie doll, maybe!

I think it would be wise to avoid using this thread to discuss in detail the ins and outs of racism, sexism, et al. in RL. I'm not suggesting it's not an important and.worthwhile discussion, obviously, but it's the kind of derail that will likely overwhelm the central topic, which is ARs, and see the thread shut down.

Talking in general terms about the kinds of language that may or may be ARable is relevant. The racism (or not) of the US space program is rather less so.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I see your country from my front window and see enough news and regular people sharing about your country to have a pretty good idea.

Makes you wonder, "what exactly is reportable"? We had a few threads derailed by a person repeatedly dissing US residents recently. Hard to find sometimes, why some things are Reportable, while other things are not.

F6A27E62-4021-4C49-8B27-D6608942A45D.gif

• Like 1

Just now, Love Zhaoying said:

Makes you wonder, "what exactly is reportable"? We had a few threads derailed by a person repeatedly dissing US residents recently. Hard to find sometimes, why some things are Reportable, while other things are not.

F6A27E62-4021-4C49-8B27-D6608942A45D.gif

Again, Love -- that exact question is very much at the heart of this thread.

(And my answer would be, no, it is not AR-worthy.)

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Again, Love -- that exact question is very much at the heart of this thread.

(And my answer would be, no, it is not AR-worthy.)

But...BUT! 

If two or more Forum posters get into a bickering match over [off-topic thing] - then that is potentially Reportable. Amirite?

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 698 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.