Just wondering...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 708 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Lysistrata Szapira said:

I envy people who can use VR headsets.  Every time I've tried, they've made me sick as a dog.  I don't know if it's my astigmatism or something else, but my brain refuses to process the incoming visuals, so I get sick as if I were reading in a moving car. 

There is an element of needing to find your "VR Legs" much like finding your sea legs by being stuck on a boat for a week, the vomiting will cease eventually. Sadly most are not up for forcing themselves to endure repeatedly and purposefully inducing sickness to get over this hump.

Every single indie game dev I knew who jumped on VR when it first hit ended up on prescription meds to stick with it, and they all ended up abandoning their projects.

Better tech marginally improves comfort, and that's enough for some to stick with it, but for most everyone I know it hasn't been.

At the end of the day you're fighting against an evolved instinct. Visually perceiving motion without movement is surprisingly close to eating something very poisonous, hence the urge to barf. You may be able to learn to suppress this with constant repeated exposure, but that takes a really special kind of masochism.

• Thanks 1

Coffee really enjoy reading your posts,full of info.All things I never knew.I really don't think anyone should put themselves thru any discomfort.My gosh if it's not enjoyable what would be the point.Everyone has very valid points,been such interesting reading.Maybe,this sl world will keep progressing as it is which is not a bad thing either.What exists here now has come such a long way from even 10 years ago.I think the improvements in the tech have given designers and creators the ability to let their ideas come to life.Pretty awesome.Thank you all for your thoughts on this subject.🙂

When I am in SL I am also on another screen referencing other material in a web browser, editing a texture in GIMP, in another program for scripting editing, choosing some music, watching a video, etc.  I need to be able to interact with the real world around me without taking all the gear off and on to do so.  VR isn't going to work for me, regardless of whether I would get motion sick or not.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

When I am in SL I am also on another screen referencing other material in a web browser, editing a texture in GIMP, in another program for scripting editing, choosing some music, watching a video, etc.  I need to be able to interact with the real world around me without taking all the gear off and on to do so.  VR isn't going to work for me, regardless of whether I would get motion sick or not.

Omg Gabriele you multitasker,wow.I need to sit down and take a 10 minute break now.😴 You are incredibly busy,a magician,bet you love it tho.I could be incredibly wrong,but we would all probably kind of look the same.Còokie cutter avatars,like the metaverse ones and to me that would be no fun.

• Thanks 1

On 6/19/2022 at 9:31 AM, junique Tigerfish said:

Hello everyone.I always come up with questions when I should be sleeping.Does anyone think sl will ever go vr?

I recently visited science center.I flew like a bird.Omg it was amazing,so realistic.Just made me wonder,think it would be way cool in sl.Another feature was a virtual sandbox,it was more of a motion detection thing.But the features were incredibly beautiful.No,I don't get out much.😀

Even if it goes VR there will still be a normal version of Second Life Itself. I mean i think the purpose of Second Life is completely different than VR. VR is more for video games etc. For scary horror video games or for games where you get to explore. Or for games where you have a certain ''mission'' or ''quest'' yeah that kind of games. Second Life is like it says it's name It's a Second Life. And that is a way bigger deal than VR. It's literally THE SAME as real life. Only that it's virtual. But it is indeed a Second Life. Once you log in sometimes you just can't get enough of it it really is very addicting. I love SL. It's a part of me in a way now in RL. It is a lovely game to fall in love with. It is not just a game it's a whole different world. Somewhere where you can be whoever you want to! Some people in RL don't have the chance to do certain things and SL gives them the chance to try them in SL. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

That all sounds quite normal for everyone - having multiple programmes open and using them frequently - email, web browser, SL, and such. I imagine that VR in SL would work just as well for you as it would for everyone else; i.e. when using it don't do other stuff unless it's really important - like nipping to the loo lol, making or eating dinner, etc. :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Gabriele Graves said:

There are VR apps that allow one to manifest their desktop inside VR itself. Last time I checked they were a bit buggy, but I could access everything available on my PC within the VR environment, so I could have multiple windows open dealing with various tasks. Of course the bulky headset was still a problem as I was  blocked off visually from my RL environment, but soon the bulky headsets will be more like the common glasses many wear to correct eyesight, and so there will be less of a disconnect from RL. Switching from full immersion to a more augmented one or none at all will be easy too, via a simple click.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Lysistrata Szapira said:

I envy people who can use VR headsets.  Every time I've tried, they've made me sick as a dog.  I don't know if it's my astigmatism or something else, but my brain refuses to process the incoming visuals, so I get sick as if I were reading in a moving car. 

Oh no, that would be frustrating when you're really interested in VR   :(  They are working on the motion sickness problem. I'm lucky in that it doesn't affect me unless I move my head real fast in certain environments.  I can't use VR very long at once though because the heavy headset hurts my neck, and it's overall very intense so wears me out fast. Best in short doses.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

There are VR apps that allow one to manifest their desktop inside VR itself. Last time I checked they were a bit buggy, but I could access everything available on my PC within the VR environment, so I could have multiple windows open dealing with various tasks. Of course the bulky headset was still a problem as I was  blocked off visually from my RL environment, but soon the bulky headsets will be more like the common glasses many wear to correct eyesight, and so there will be less of a disconnect from RL. Switching from full immersion to a more augmented one or none at all will be easy too, via a simple click.

Oh god. That looks awful (and made me dizzy in no time). That's just way too much tilting/movement.

Problem is, I also need to be able to type. Like, a lot. On a normal keyboard. And swap with a pen tablet eventually. My style of multitasking absolutely wouldn't work with VR no matter how much they fiddle with reality.

• Like 1

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

Typing with a keyboard is possible. Early on it was point only -- pointing to each key.

That looks absolutely redonkulous. And again, the constant jittery movement makes me want to puke just seeing it on screen.

No. Absolutely not. There's zero chance I'm ever going to write and edit whole bleepin' articles in VR. And forget digital drawing/illustration oh my god.

• Like 1

Just now, Bree Giffen said:

Remember the old saying, “You can lead a horse to water but it’s going to puke all over because of the head movement”.

I'm so lucky not to get nausea!  I hope they get that fixed for everyone soon.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Not trying to convince you of anything, in case you think that.  I'm just clearing up misconceptions.

I don't know how relevant it is, though. Or practical. That's my main thing. If someone is a writer or graphic designer/illustrator, for example, I'd be extremely surprised if they made the jump to VR to do any of those things. Why would they?

You can absolutely have Affinity Designer, Photoshop, Krita, Illustrator, Clip Studio Paint, Word, etc. etc. etc. open while doing other things in the background (SL, gaming, Twitch, Discord, social media sites galore, etc.). You can absolutely jump between a keyboard, mouse, and pen tablet with zero issues. But why would you ever want to add VR to any of that?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

You can absolutely have Affinity Designer, Photoshop, Krita, Illustrator, Clip Studio Paint, Word, etc. etc. etc. open while doing other things in the background (SL, gaming, Twitch, Discord, social media sites galore, etc.). You can absolutely jump between a keyboard, mouse, and pen tablet with zero issues. But why would you ever want to add VR to any of that?

Maybe a masochist would..?

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I don't know how relevant it is, though. Or practical. That's my main thing. If someone is a writer or graphic designer/illustrator, for example, I'd be extremely surprised if they made the jump to VR to do any of those things. Why would they?

Lots of artists love these new programs in VR because they're amazing.

But practicality, earning money...well...it could be pancake mode will become obsolete and a graphic artist would need to have the ability to design for VR.  I imagine you'll be able to sail along in pancake mode for many years as I doubt it would  happen anytime soon though, if it even does.

The good thing is that many of the skills you have or develop for digital art in pancake mode, or even art on RL paper, will be relevant for VR too.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

IF every VR environment looked like Half-Life: Alyx, I could see wanting to live in there 24/7. But yeah...most VR doesn't even come close.

Many VR environments are extremely beautiful. That's why I love them.  I seldom play VR games but head toward the Experiences.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Lots of artists love these new programs in VR because they're amazing.

But practicality, earning money...well...it could be pancake mode will become obsolete and a graphic artist would need to have the ability to design for VR.  I imagine you'll be able to sail along in pancake mode for many years as I doubt it would  happen anytime soon though, if it even does.

The good thing is that many of the skills you have or develop for digital art in pancake mode, or even art on RL paper, will be relevant for VR too.

There's a biiiiig difference - I can see artists hopping into VR and playing around with it. Yeah that looks fun (minus the dizziness and motion sickness but I know not everyone's affected by that). But I'm talking about paid designers/illustrators in my example - either people designing for themselves (to sell graphics on their own sites or web marketplaces or creating graphics for their own projects) or people doing client-focused work (most designers). How is it more efficient to do paid client work in VR - like...I dunno...designing restaurant menus or websites or logos or t-shirts. Like...why do that?

Designers WILL be needed to design FOR VR, yes. But that's not the same job/role as a product designer who is creating the packaging for a new Kellogg's cereal or a logo designer working with Adidas or a book cover illustrator working with Stephen King. Those jobs aren't going anywhere for a long time (and you can multitask while doing all of that, which was my original point - that it's way harder to multitask in VR).

• Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 708 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.