Dumbest Ads In The World

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 821 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Though it was a bit of a dud, we did make thermite with aluminum powder from an Etch-A-Sketch and some magnetite obtained from the beach.

You sure chose the right avatar, you li'l devil, you!

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Though it was a bit of a dud, we did make thermite with aluminum powder from an Etch-A-Sketch and some magnetite obtained from the beach.

Long before Etch-a-Sketch, there was Wooly Willy (and many variations).  Iron filings, anyone?

Wooly Willy was, ironically, used in ads for shaving!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wooly_Willy

Wooly_Willy_01.jpg

ww.jpg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

Yeah, as Maher says, some who consider themselves 'woke' likely are tolerating things that will make them cringe in 25 years. This only means they need to wake up more!

It really has nothing to do with "woke", but simply the fact that societies (hopefully) evolve over time and learn to be safer about things and not a-holes & bigots about other things, etc....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

My brother was of the same class - being 6 years younger, we had almost nothing in common. 

Whether or not you had anything in common really doesn't depend on age. You have different personalities and interests. That's all.

I have very little in common with the vast majority of people my age.

4 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:
41 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

My brother was of the same class - being 6 years younger, we had almost nothing in common. 

Whether or not you had anything in common really doesn't depend on age. You have different personalities and interests. That's all.

I have very little in common with the vast majority of people my age.

Rephrased - we weren't really in each other's lives much, and hardly ever spoke.

21 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Man, I loved the hell out of that thing.

Remember the other toy...what was it. One sec...

Spirograph! Man, between those two, I was set.

I absolutely LOVED Spirograph.  Plaid with it for hours on end.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It really has nothing to do with "woke", but simply the fact that societies (hopefully) evolve over time and learn to be safer about things and not a-holes & bigots about other things, etc....

I twisted it all up a bit, albeit briefly as I really didn't want to get into politics too much.

I reclaimed the word woke as something good, meaning 'awareness of injustice in society', as it was previously used until hijacked by the right to criticize the left. 
When people use the word 'woke' to criticize the concerns of the left they typically are invalidating the social justice concerns and saying they have no validity. Social justice concerns are fighting against, as you say, "the bigots and the a-holes".

We need to reclaim the word, take it back so those who say being woke (aware) is a bad thing are not defining it anymore, and make it what it has always been before the GOP hijacked it to criticize liberals (first used by Blacks, btw).

woke.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

We need to reclaim the word, take it back so those who say being woke (aware) is a bad thing are not defining it anymore, and make it what it has always been before the GOP hijacked it to criticize liberals (first used by Blacks, btw).

And if it means "aware", why can we not just say that instead of inventing new words? 

It is used in a negative way by both sides. There are folks on the left that use it to insult the right and there are folks on the right that use it insultingly towards the left.

Go back to the word 'aware' that has been around forever and much of that implied insulting goes away.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 821 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.