Elon Musk buys Twitter to bring back Free Speech

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 790 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:

You're probably right except that obviously he didn't have a lot of power if an overpaid social media moderator could not only cancel his tweets, but ban him permanently to boot. So much for a US president being the "leader of the free world".

Leaders have to follow rules too. Funny, innit?

4 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

Curious what you're basing this part on exactly - and who is the side who would benefit in say, the cooking community or entertainment or travel blogging or whatever random area of Twitter someone hangs out in?

I mean, if you have a food blogger (random example) getting harassed by a reader who is super big mad that she's not using enough baking soda in her recipe and launches into a tirade about it and followers her all over the place tweeting mean tweets about her (hey, stranger things have happened on there) - which is the side that would benefit by Twitter's supposed one-sided moderation policy?

Twitter is massssssssive (not to mention hugely international). Politics isn't the only thing going on over there.

You're right, it isn't, but the left wing meltdown over Musk purchasing it, is over the political side of it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

You're probably right except that obviously he didn't have a lot of power if an overpaid social media moderator could not only cancel his tweets, but ban him permanently to boot. So much for a US president being the "leader of the free world".

Trump was not banned by some low level moderator peon.

That decision came from the highest levels of the company with significant input from legal. 

Edited by Coffee Pancake
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Arielle, really?   He attempted to, and still wants to, overthrow democracy!  Do you not understand the danger we're in here?

Maybe you need to research what democracy actually is? What you are implying and promote, is not.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just now, Coffee Pancake said:

Trump was not banned by some low level moderator peon.

That decision cake from the highest levels of the company with significant input from legal. 

The only one I know of who is overpaid (IMO) is the one making 17M per year. I believe she had a significant pay increase this year, likely as a result of pushing through the ban on Trump.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Arielle Popstar said:
6 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Arielle, really?   He attempted to, and still wants to, overthrow democracy!  Do you not understand the danger we're in here?

Maybe you need to research what democracy actually is? What you are implying and promote, is not.

Well let's have this discussion then.  What is 'democracy' ?  What is 'autocracy'?  What is 'fascism'?   How is what I promote not democracy?

1 minute ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well let's have this discussion then.  What is 'democracy' ?  What is 'autocracy'?  What is 'fascism'?   How is what I promote not democracy?

Wrong thread but feel free to start one up.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

It depends on if Twitter has a baking soda manufacturer as a major advertiser.

Hey, Second Life should start selling ads! Pop-up ads! With embedded auto-start videos!  Then they can lower tier fees.

LMAO...you aren't wrong there honestly. If the harasser was a major advertiser, maybe they would look the other way. 😂

1 minute ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I only heard about the misogamy in the gaming community, not racism and homophobia.

Oh honey.gif. 🤣 I'm going to be nice to Twitch and link a somewhat positive article about the steps they took to combat this, but this also explains what the issues were rather nicely  - https://www.theverge.com/2021/8/11/22620874/twitch-implements-improved-chat-filters

• Thanks 2

On 4/29/2022 at 11:57 PM, Blaise Glendevon said:

The problem is that Elon Musk's idea of "free speech" is coddling neo-Nazis and transphobic bigots and insurrectionists while stroking his own ego and *****posting like a 4chan reject.

I'm happy to hear why you think this (noting that I am so left I'm circling back around). I really have no idea what's going on with all of this because I don't follow celebrity gossip. However, I will ask that it remain factual (even if it's still about your opinion), and not turn into another one of these labeling sh*t fights where everyone who disagrees with someone is evil.

What is Musk promoting that means supporting hate groups? Freedom of speech does not in and of itself protect hate speech, but we've seen a lot of dangerous people use "freedom of speech" as an excuse for their nonsense many times over the last few years (including when terrorist groups stormed Canadian cities and blocked highways). Is Musk doing something that gets into that territory?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
3 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Wrong thread but feel free to start one up.

I think you're saying this because you don't know.

And nothing is more central to why many disapprove of Musk -- he spouts what he believes are democratic values (free speech), but does not recognize in a democratic society we must limit free speech for the common good.

And those who want one person, some strongman, to take control over a powerful institution while disallowing democratic input and laws to be a part of it...well.....they are advocating a type of.......I won't use the word again as some are a might touchy over it.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

What is Musk promoting that means supporting hate groups? Freedom of speech does not in and of itself protect hate speech, but we've seen a lot of dangerous people use "freedom of speech" as an excuse for their nonsense many times over the last few years (including when terrorist groups stormed Canadian cities and blocked highways). Is Musk doing something that gets into that territory?

In the olden days we used to call them protesters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, HarrisonMcKenzie said:

That was literally a protest against government mandates, its the left that painted them as terrorists. I for one am all for people raising their voice, when injustices happen.  I mean BLM protesters blocked vehicles and major streets, and we don't call them terrorists. I mean there were literally riots and an actual occupation of 6 blocks of a city. But we don't call them terrorists. So how is what the left did for BLM any different from what Canadians did in Canada during the protests? 

Edited by Sammy Huntsman
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:
21 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

How is what I promote not democracy?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

You're right, it isn't, but the left wing meltdown over Musk purchasing it, is over the political side of it.

Not exactly, no. How often are you on Twitter? I'm on social media wayyyyyyy more than I care to admit *cough* and no - people in all different types communities have concerns with Elon's ownership of the platform for all different types of reasons. It's not simply the ones entrenched in politics.

Small business owners are concerned and are looking for alternative platforms to promote on (he did say he wanted to reduce advertising), some who run small non-profits and advocacy programs are worried that moderation will slip even further into the abyss (I saw someone on Twitter worried about her child protection advocacy and how loosening moderation might cause more harm than good in that realm), gamers are freaked out because we freak out about everything silly (omg what if he buys Steam too you guyyyyyyyz?!?!), bloggers want alternative places to advertise, parents worried about their kids being exposed to more toxicity, etc.

I wouldn't call it a "meltdown" btw - it's very reasonable to worry about the future of the platform you're invested in (some financially). And many are when you count how many people use Twitter to promote themselves (their blogs, books, courses, organizations, small businesses, freelance businesses, etc. etc. etc.).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Where I live, covid protestors are mostly just BBQ events because the protest is being held in a place that does not require mask mandates or forced vaccination.  It is a mishmash of different people really, some spreading gospel, others with the "F Biden" flags, some for other causes - I think they believe they are sticking it to the "man", but there really is no "man" to stick it to here.  Not terrorists, just people getting together to hangout, have BBQ, and wave at others by the road.  I think of it more of a socializing event, as well as a place vendors can unload a lot of merchandise they probably bought in 2019.

2 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

That was literally a protest against government mandates, its the left that painted them as terrorists. I for one am all for people raising their voice, when injustices happen. 

That was mostly funded by right wing Americans and corporations. It was not "people raising their voices", it was an astroturfing campaign that swept up a few real people along the way.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/how-american-right-wing-funding-for-canadian-trucker-protests-could-sway-u-s-politics

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

That was literally a protest against government mandates, its the left that painted them as terrorists.

Toe-MAY-toe, To-MAH-toe. 

I think this part is natural. If you agree with a "side", then you won't see them as doing anything particularly bad.

Figuring out why the other "side" is "freaking out" is harder, if they seem to be overreacting.

14 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

That was literally a protest against government mandates, its the left that painted them as terrorists. I for one am all for people raising their voice, when injustices happen.  I mean BLM protesters blocked vehicles and major streets, and we don't call them terrorists. I mean there were literally riots and an actual occupation of 6 blocks of a city. But we don't call them terrorists. So how is what the left did for BLM any different from what Canadians did in Canada during the protests? 

Ask the freedom-loving Governor of Florida:

https://www.techdirt.com/2021/07/22/floridas-new-law-against-blocking-roads-during-protests-already-being-ignored-cops-policing-protests-governor-supports/

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Toe-MAY-toe, To-MAH-toe. 

I think this part is natural. If you agree with a "side", then you won't see them as doing anything particularly bad.

Figuring out why the other "side" is "freaking out" is harder, if they seem to be overreacting.

I am neither left nor right-leaning, I think both sides have every right to protest what they disagree with. I am centrist and always have been. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Toe-MAY-toe, To-MAH-toe. 

It was interesting though how quickly the provinces started to roll back the lockdowns as a result. So from that perspective, the Convoy was a success. At the same time the Convoy exposed the hypocrisy of the mainstream media in how they reported on the event and as a result it came to light how the majority of media outlets are subsidized and licensed so that the idea of a "free press" up here is a figment of the imagination. As a result we have to rely on other platforms to get the real news.

That is a big reason why platforms like Twitter are a blessing because at least you have access to sources of news that isn't being pushed by some Ministry of Truth.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Theresa Tennyson said:

Ask the freedom-loving Governor of Florida:

Why would you bring such temptation to this thread?  Why do you do this to me Theresa, why?  I really want to start talking about his latest Disney tirade, which is absolutely hilarious.. but don't want to derail the thread into being locked.

So cruel.. so cruel..

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

That was mostly funded by right wing Americans and corporations. It was not "people raising their voices", it was an astroturfing campaign that swept up a few real people along the way.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/world/how-american-right-wing-funding-for-canadian-trucker-protests-could-sway-u-s-politics

Foreign funds were only a small part of the total. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Istelathis said:

Why would you bring such temptation to this thread?  Why do you do this to me Theresa, why?  I really want to start talking about his latest Disney tirade, which is absolutely hilarious.. but don't want to derail the thread into being locked.

So cruel.. so cruel..

You could try making that a separate thread, but it'd likely last all of five minutes. 🤣

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 790 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.