RL Replica Regions

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 746 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, ChinRey said:

Nearly all the regions in that area are named after places in Northern England but I've yet to hear of anybody calling it an English themed area

Surely you know that region names of Mainland bear zero relation to the builds that residents put on them. Private regions are a different matter.

• Like 1

I like colorful towns, and situated on hillsides. Oslo is nice in that way, and one of the reasons I'm considering moving to Mexico is for the cute, colorful towns and streets...especially ones close to mountains. And the town I've chosen has a jungle and other natural areas reasonably close.

Oslo-Norway.jpg

Mexico colorful.jpg

• Like 2

On 4/7/2022 at 7:57 AM, Silent Mistwalker said:

Isn't that the one where they recreated the French Quarter mainly? If it is, it's the one I was trying to remember the name of. It was an almost exact replica of the square with the basilica and everything. Best reproduction I've seen in SL in 18 years.

Regarding New Toulouse:

Mainly implies more than half the sim represents the French Quarter. Half the sim represents the French Quarter. The other half is Bayou swampland.

The sim does not represent Jackson Square at all. There is a town square, but it looks nothing like Jackson Square in New Orleans:

Leveaux Square in New Toulouse:

883043707_NewToulousetownsquare.thumb.jpg.adf0eba1a90059ee9bb4be3f6d5fd3d9.jpg

Jackson Square in New Orleans:

Jackson_Square_Aerial_Photo.thumb.jpg.3a7ee3468ab806e7aa46ba30a849b6f9.jpg

The St. Louis Cathedral was designated as a minor basilica by Pope Paul VI in 1964, but is more generally referred to as a Cathedral, the seat of a bishop. Since the church in New Toulouse represents a time period before the 1940's, it does not represent a basilica. It also looks nothing like the St. Louis Cathedral.

I thought you might have been thinking of another sim that did create a very good representation of Jackson Square and the St. Louis Cathedral.  While the scale was necessarily reduced, the overall impression was of the actual RL location.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
to highlight "almost exact replica" in the quote.

4 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

But Maddy, that's exactly what my RL world looks like when I take a 3 minute drive from my house! Well, minus that scary little devil in the foreground.

Well, that sorta illustrates the point. The Far Away isn't a recreation of any particular place. It could be three minutes from you, three minutes from me, or the view from Mac's (my emergency backup kid) driveway, which is...
984106133_TheFarAway.thumb.jpeg.31f2a810f2927496bdf3f45964017fd9.jpeg

ETA: The Far Away...
1306027639_DevilInTheFarAway.thumb.jpg.1a205a429a82d713cb322c384a9dcb9f.jpg

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

@Persephone Emerald 

What's really funny is I grew up in Louisiana and so have been to NO, the Square and Farmer's Market many times. 😊

Which goes to show as others have said that the overall subjective impression of a place is often what we want to recreate in SL, not the actual objective representation of a RL place. If one thinks of New Orleans as it is during Mardi Gras, that's going to be a very different place than it is on a normal Sunday morning.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Which goes to show as others have said that the overall subjective impression of a place is often what we want to recreate in SL, not the actual objective representation of a RL place. If one thinks of New Orleans as it is during Mardi Gras, that's going to be a very different place than it is on a normal Sunday morning.

Where have I said it wasn't?

I never claimed Toulouse was an exact replica. I said it was a recreation. A recreation being someone's idea of what it looks like to them. Yet, you keep arguing. Why?

42 minutes ago, Madelaine McMasters said:
5 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

But Maddy, that's exactly what my RL world looks like when I take a 3 minute drive from my house! Well, minus that scary little devil in the foreground.

Well, that sorta illustrates the point. The Far Away isn't a recreation of any particular place. It could be three minutes from you, three minutes from me, or the view from Mac's (my emergency backup kid) driveway

I was mainly being silly with my comment so as to include the little devil.

But...yes...of course you can get a "special feeling" without having been to the actual scene in RL...because the creator loved the scene, whether knowing such scenes in RL or seeing videos/photos of it, and he painted the picture well (demonstrating the beauty of such a place through both his love and skill). Plus, you were open to experiencing it...perhaps through your emotional state at the time combined with other similar experiences with vast fields and skies, old buildings/farm equipment, or whatever.

Not sure why you felt the need to tell Archangel you got 'the feeling' without having actually visited the place like he does with his RL Dutch countryside.  What's the point of saying that? 

I also don't understand why you insist on saying the wheat field scene doesn't exist. It exists hundreds if not thousands of times on the Great Plains where I live. It's universal. A.M. radio captured the essence. 

20 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

The owner of the New Orleans regions is the one who posted the thread I linked in my first reply to the thread.

But you didn't mention New Orleans so either you noticed, or you're not interested. 😊

hi! sorry for not getting back to you before!! but during the day I have class and work😖 I will definetly check on him!! Thanks 🥰

• Like 1

On 4/7/2022 at 6:33 PM, archangel969 said:

I agree with Prokofy Neva, 'Anything in a virtual world, of course, is not going to be "exactly like" the RL counterpart,' and that's the truth. Well, I don't think that's a terrible thing. SL is a world on it's own that has a hint of RL, because we residents all come originally from RL, aren't we? 😉 But RL isn't SL and probably never will be. When you would live in a house that's an excact replica of RL you would feel trapped like Alice in Wonderland in the house of the rabbit. But what you CAN do is transfer the feeling of RL by taking elements of RL tot SL. So that it feels like RL. I try to do that with Dutch estate. But Dutch estate is NOT The Netherlands, It's the feeling of a small polder landscape, a memory and experience I have from that landscape from my homeland and transer it to SL. And that's the best we can do.

On 4/8/2022 at 10:17 AM, Madelaine McMasters said:

Lovely work, Archangel. My favorite spot in SL (The Far Away) recreates a special feeling I get in RL, without recreating any specific place.

On 4/8/2022 at 10:24 AM, Luna Bliss said:

23 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Well, that sorta illustrates the point. The Far Away isn't a recreation of any particular place. It could be three minutes from you, three minutes from me, or the view from Mac's (my emergency backup kid) driveway

23 hours ago, Luna Bliss said:

I was mainly being silly with my comment so as to include the little devil.

But...yes...of course you can get a "special feeling" without having been to the actual scene in RL...because the creator loved the scene, whether knowing such scenes in RL or seeing videos/photos of it, and he painted the picture well (demonstrating the beauty of such a place through both his love and skill). Plus, you were open to experiencing it...perhaps through your emotional state at the time combined with other similar experiences with vast fields and skies, old buildings/farm equipment, or whatever.

Not sure why you felt the need to tell Archangel you got 'the feeling' without having actually visited the place like he does with his RL Dutch countryside.  What's the point of saying that? 

I also don't understand why you insist on saying the wheat field scene doesn't exist. It exists hundreds if not thousands of times on the Great Plains where I live. It's universal. A.M. radio captured the essence. 

If you read Archangel's description of his own lovely creation, you'll see that it is...

"NOT The Netherlands, It's the feeling of a small polder landscape, a memory and experience I have from that landscape from my homeland and transfer it to SL. And that's the best we can do."

My response was to agree with him, and that the best he could do was lovely. Similarly, "The Far Away" is not any particular place, yet it produces feelings, whether drawn from your experiences or mine. Do you have a wheat field three minutes from you that contains a locomotive, a vintage monoplane (and makeshift wind-sock on a wire fence), a china cabinet, a windmill, violins, and a vintage tube AM radio, all out in the open? Do any of those things evoke emotional responses in you? They all do for me.

My first conversation with AM Radio was in the original "The Far Away", in the attic of the old farmhouse. I was impressed by the vintage radio on a table in the attic, and told him of building a galena crystal radio with Dad when I was a child. I told the entire story of magically finding a piece of galena in Mom's flower garden (planted by Dad just minutes before), crawling around in the attic to string a long wire antenna out of reach of lightning, and dragging a "cat's whisker" of wire across the galena fragment until we heard voices. I suspected AM had some similar experience and was eager to hear it. To my surprise, he had none. He simply liked the look of such things in movies and photographs he'd seen.

The original, full-region "The Far Away" had a rubber band powered airplane rezzer that would produce hugs, flyable planes on demand. I loved buzzing the wheat field on them and admired the vintage aircraft stored in the barn. Unsurprisingly, AM also had no experience flying vintage aircraft, yet I did (if you consider a 1957 Cessna "vintage" in 1986). He loved barnstorming in old movies. So did I, that's why I learned to fly.

My emergency backup kid is a talented violinist, prodded down that journey by my father, who lamented his own inability to play one, and my disinterest as well. He would not let his second shot at fatherhood produce another failure. Mac still has that old "crap" violin.

I think I could argue that "The Far Away" is a more direct representation of my childhood than AM Radio's. I grew up wandering corn fields, building radios, flying planes, and wandering railroad tracks so close that coal trains rattle the doors in my china cabinets.

I stand by my claim that The Far Away is not a recreation of any particular place. It is a creation intended by AM Radio to evoke certain feelings, born more of shared experience of old movies than of actual wheat fields. Nobody in SL has done a better job of that for me than AM Radio.

You are, of course, free to imagine I insisted on something else. Just don't ask me to explain your imagination.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
invoke->evoke
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Surely you know that region names of Mainland bear zero relation to the builds that residents put on them. Private regions are a different matter.

No. Private regions can be a different matter but a rental estate as big as SN can not afford to have rules strict enough to limit the renters' builds to a niche theme as small as this. If they did, they wouldn't be able to fill up the plots.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

If you read Archangel's description of his own lovely creation, you'll see that it is...

"NOT The Netherlands, It's the feeling of a small polder landscape, a memory and experience I have from that landscape from my homeland and transfer it to SL. And that's the best we can do."

My response was to agree with him, and that the best he could do was lovely. Similarly, "The Far Away" is not any particular place, yet it produces feelings, whether drawn from your experiences or mine. Do you have a wheat field three minutes from you that contains a locomotive, a vintage monoplane (and makeshift wind-sock on a wire fence), a china cabinet, a windmill, violins, and a vintage tube AM radio, all out in the open? Do any of those things evoke emotional responses in you? They all do for me.

My first conversation with AM Radio was in the original "The Far Away", in the attic of the old farmhouse. I was impressed by the vintage radio on a table in the attic, and told him of building a galena crystal radio with Dad when I was a child. I told the entire story of magically finding a piece of galena in Mom's flower garden (planted by Dad just minutes before), crawling around in the attic to string a long wire antenna out of reach of lightning, and dragging a "cat's whisker" of wire across the galena fragment until we heard voices. I suspected AM had some similar experience and was eager to hear it. To my surprise, he had none. He simply liked the look of such things in movies and photographs he'd seen.

The original, full-region "The Far Away" had a rubber band powered airplane rezzer that would produce hugs, flyable planes on demand. I loved buzzing the wheat field on them and admired the vintage aircraft stored in the barn. Unsurprisingly, AM also had no experience flying vintage aircraft, yet I did (if you consider a 1957 Cessna "vintage" in 1986). He loved barnstorming in old movies. So did I, that's why I learned to fly.

My emergency backup kid is a talented violinist, prodded down that journey by my father, who lamented his own inability to play one, and my disinterest as well. He would not let his second shot at fatherhood produce another failure. Mac still has that old "crap" violin.

I think I could argue that "The Far Away" is more direct representation of my childhood than AM Radio's. I grew up wandering corn fields, building radios, flying planes, and wandering railroad tracks so close that coal trains rattle the doors in my china cabinets.

I stand by my claim that The Far Away is not a recreation of any particular place. It is a creation intended by AM Radio to invoke certain feelings, born more of shared experience of old movies than of actual wheat fields. Nobody in SL has done a better job of that for me than AM Radio.

You are, of course, free to imagine I insisted on something else. Just don't ask me to explain your imagination.

Maddy, I was really just kind of teasing you with my comment that included the little devil reference. You were SO adamant about The Far Away not being representative of any RL location that I wanted to know what that was about as it made no sense to me. You never actually explained it until now. See for me it makes no difference whether an artist is drawing from a real life location or not.

Yes the imagination you speak to is a part of the creation and experience of all art -- unless we are just working off a blueprint there is always an interplay between RL and our subjective experience of imagination and memory. We wouldn't be imagining anything had we not had some RL contact at some time with any of the elements which comprise a work of art however (nature elements, radios, violins, old machinery, or whatever).

For me, it's enough that all the elements the art is comprised of existed in a myriad of experiences and varying locations, and there's no concern whether these elements existed in one specific place in RL.  With art I don't need to make a distinction between RL and the imagination -- it can't be accurately separated like that -- and so it's difficult for me to comprehend why you need to do so other than you feel it takes away from your imagination somehow.

Sure, what speaks to one person in a piece of art can be very different from what speaks to another, but nobody is taking that away from you by saying all these parts of the scene you loved actually exists in RL somewhere however. They may not all be in one RL location exactly as they were in the SL scene...but they all existed/exist somewhere. I do understand an insistence that the Far Away is not simply a replica, which evokes in me the sense of a cheap copy or duplication devoid of meaning or imagination.

For me, the particular art we are discussing evokes a bygone time...if not gone then very far away in time...and so I love the name "The Far Away".  I did not grow up on a farm, but the family farm where my ancestors landed in their covered wagon on their trek west, looking out across the vast empty space that is the Great Plains and deciding they'd traveled far enough, is not far from where I live.
The wheat fields glistening in the sun are beautiful, and the vast unobstructed field allows a magnificent viewing of the sunset and I feel a sense of being a part of something greater than myself.

In RL I sometimes see a piece of old farm machinery in a wheat field, rusting away. One day even that will be gone. It's a way of life I'm not wholly sure we should have moved on from. There's always the sadness of loss, yet contained within the beauty of eternal change, as time marches on.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Do you have a wheat field three minutes from you that contains a locomotive, a vintage monoplane (and makeshift wind-sock on a wire fence), a china cabinet, a windmill, violins, and a vintage tube AM radio, all out in the open?

Of course! Who doesn't? No, maybe not a china cabinet come to think of it.

1 hour ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Oy, how do you/they keep rainwater out of the teacups?

We don't. They make lovely little bird baths.

The violins are a bit problematic in areas with heavy rain though. In some places they have to be replaced with trombones which of course is hardly an ideal solution.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lots of interesting ideas to ponder about the nature of art, reality, and consciousness. It's fun to consider them. Much has been researched and all sorts of theories in transition exist. While some claim definitive answers for the most part the ideas continue to evolve as we understand human consciousness better.
Some questions that come to mind:

How is creating and appreciating the art of another both similar and different?
What is imagination?
How are emotions and logical processes connected to imagination?
What occurs in the creative process?
What part does the unconscious and subconscious aspects of consciousness play in creativity?
What exactly is subjective consciousness and how does it connect with the creation and appreciation of art?
Mystical experiences and/or creative highs during the creative process

What is art?
How is good vs bad art presently defined?
Can we say an exact replica of something is art?

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 746 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.