Second Life University

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 822 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

5 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

I would never advise anyone to just experiment. 

O ye of little faith! I just tell 'em how to put the menus up on their top bar, point out some useful functions (yes, mainly in the Advanced menu), and leave the rest to Fate.

I've never had anyone come back and upbraid me for ruining their Second Life.

Maybe they just all self-destructed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

I would be interested in the list of debugs you're comfortable in tweaking ... they could be broken out into actual UI and coded to make sure they do the correct thing.

Debug settings come in three flavors. 

• Setting in preferences that have UI and supporting code.
  • Internal settings that don't.
  • Interim dumping ground for 18 years of developer variables that may be misnamed, frequently do more than one thing, have no checking for correct values and in many cases probably shouldn't exist.

The only way to know what they do is to look at the code.

That's true,  and admit to not ever having looked at the code for debug settings. The ones I trust are largely the ones in your first category ... ones that Firestorm and others (including LL) have added to the growing list of tweakable settings in Preferences. "Don't play typing animation, " for example. Or "Don't make the annoying Swoosh sound when I teleport. " I don't have a written list,  but after 15 years I have accumulated a mental list of painless settings that I may mention if the topic comes up. The point is that I never advise people to just try clicking on settings to see what happens. 

8 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

It's why I've pretty much given up on helping people. Once they get something like that into their heads it's game over. They won't listen and I just end up making myself feel like a fool for trying to help when they don't want it even after asking for help! 

Sometimes you have no choice but to walk away.

This is the reason why the SL Wiki should be updated as it would provide us older residents with links to convince such people and help them. The knowledgebase that Strawberry discusses as a relevant help area is not good enough. It doesn't even have a comprehensive list of proper troubleshooting for the viewer. The Knowledgebase troubleshooting area is filled with things that will not help anyone with viewer issues or even general Second Life things.

It says a lot about the state of Linden Lab's support that, when people ask for troubleshooting various default viewer issues that people post links to firestorms wiki, a TPV. Not Linden Lab's knowledgebase or Linden Lab's wiki - a Third Party Viewer help wiki.

8 hours ago, diamond Marchant said:

If I were on the SLU faculty, I would teach "Underpants 101"... always wear BOM panties!

Haha. I agree.

The main issue with this is, that single last minute interruption is enough for the video on YouTube to be demonetarised and banned should it be reported as it could be deemed as showing not only adult content, but given the avatars size potential far more damaging consequences given it is on Second Life's official channel.

If I wasn't a fan of Second Life, I would have already reported it for adult content. 

And then you have people wondering why Second Life is banned on Twitch...

Edited by Drayke Newall

• 2 months later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 822 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.