Would mainland conditions be improved if residents could donate land to Governor Linden for public facilities?

Jennifer Boyle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 766 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

The best road and rail network.

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Heterocera

On 3/25/2022 at 11:44 AM, BJoyful said:

I think LL doesn’t need land donated per say, as they already are in care of all that Abandoned Land.  Anyone who pays anything to LL is paying for that Abandoned Land in some way as it must be kept online because it is attached to the rest  contiguous Mainland.  If a landowner makes a road and pays tier for it to be open to the public… that is more like donating because the tier fee is the long term running cost of keeping that land online and that’s much more costly than just paying some L$ for land.

However, if we buy the land from Governor Linden and turn it into manageable parcels which each have access to a Road which connects to a Protected road, I do think LL would seriously consider making your homemade road a Protected road as that would be more likely to keep those parcels from being Abandoned again because they would be more attractive to buyers and sellers.

I also think it’s important to make your homemade road as practical as possible so the LDPW will have something to work with. if you file a JIRA request you may need to ask others to support your request so it should have broad appeal and provide access to all parcels and be open ended so it can be added to as the community grows in more and more Abandoned Land.  I really like the way Bellisseria leaves space between parcels and I think most people do also so that will be something important to consider also… who will pay for any land between parcels and will it be landscaped or Abandoned.

Any amount of land which remains consistently paid for by Residents tier will be a cost that’s no longer absorbed by LL and that will eventually be reflected in lower tier rates, so Lets Do This!  Revitalize and develop some Abandoned Land and the whole of Mainland will be more valuable and attractive to Residents.  Mainland is the largest contiguous virtual land mass in the known universe and it is unique among all virtual platforms.  It’s SO BIG and no one can own it all… make a piece of it your own. 🏠 🥰

i kind of do this already. I spend my time travelling the mainland looking for abandoned land thats preferably protected on one side by a road a railway or waterside. If i like the land and surroundings ill submit a ticket to Linden Labs and ask them If I can claim it.  I'll then split it into 1024sqm and put one of my houses on the parcels of land. Ill build a driveway that connects up to road or a station that connects up to the railway and ill always try blend in with otger builds that surround me At the minute I've got a 1024sqm and a 2048sqm Parcel Next to the railway. Imperial in Heterocera Attoll. I'm waiting for a reply about a 2048sqm roadside in Achemon again in Heterocera

Edited by kevin Jerrold
  • Like 2

I think the most likely fix for this would be groups that own the land and pay tier via donations from members, but you'd need people who kept premium up and maintained the donations so Linden labs didn't reclaim part of the network when the tier came due because people pulled out and left the group without sufficient allotment to maintain the lands needed.

• Like 1

i sometimes go for a wander in the rock lands up Corsica way.  Is all pretty bleak and empty mostly with the odd hardy soul living there

i often wonder how regions like these could be themed and made attractive while retaining the bleakness

in the first instance I suppose that if 1024m parcels were chopped out by Linden ala Belli, with a no-join/divide restriction, then they would probably get taken up by tier-paying residents quite quickly no matter the theme

theming the public parts would be quite a interesting experience tho. Probably something rock pools, waterfalls, mountain streams would be the most sought after. But I do wonder how a industrial factory-like (maybe steampunk-ish) theme might go

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NanashiNyx said:

I think the most likely fix for this would be groups that own the land and pay tier via donations from members, but you'd need people who kept premium up and maintained the donations so Linden labs didn't reclaim part of the network when the tier came due because people pulled out and left the group without sufficient allotment to maintain the lands needed.

LL does let the group owner know if tier donation is removed and there’s a shortfall so there a small grace period to find a replacement.  If that doesn’t happen, there is a service called tier rental.  You pay a rent box to have a bot join your group and donate the amount of tier needed until you can find a replacement tier donor.  You can rent a tier bot indefinitely as far as I know.

Here's a link to a Forum Post from a Resident who offers this tier rental service: 

Edited by BJoyful
sp and added link to Tier Rental post

• Moles

Please can we stay on topic here, which isn't what we may see as some people's abuse of various reaction buttons?

This forum isn't the place to air personal grievances about other residents.

For what it's worth. my alt finds the Ignore feature very useful at times (float your mouse pointer over the image or name of the forum user you wish to ignore, and use the "ignore" button at the bottom right of the floater that appears), though I'm not sure if it hides the ignored user's reactions, too.

• Like 8

From what I have observed over the years, no.

Not at all.

Chiefly because people do not agree what the public good is, and do not have a means to decide this fairly and democratically. So if you have aspirations of doing good works, and feel you have your hand on the pulse of what the public wants, it's a good idea to build it and pay for it yourself and see if anyone comes. If they come and you have out a tip  jar or sell content or rent parts of it, you will have the tier paid for.

The Lindens don't need more land that they have to tier, in a sense, i.e. that they pay for instead of having a resident pay for -- even if their wholesale cost is less, i.e. only the cost of the server rental plus staff cost, let's say.

If you want to help out, then the point is not to shift the burden of the cost of maintaining and developing land back on to the Moles.

They have an awful lot of abandoned land already.

So if you want to make a public project to help the society at large, you could buy any amount of abandoned land, take that load off the Lindens' account, take that burden off them, and then pay for it and work it.

And this has all been said and I can only say it again. People sometimes don't want to go on paying tier on a parcel or even a whole island, and they want to let it go, and people clamour for the Lindens to take it and maintain it for the public good. I think they already have many, many builds for the public good, chiefly in Bellisseria these days, but also on the old Mainland, so I think it's a moot point.

I totally get how frustrating it is to be on a big empty Corsica sim, let's say, that has no roads, water, or anything on it but a vasty stone landscape sometimes with a dinosaur on physics upside down on it on a parcel with scripts turned off. Stark, bleak, beautiful.

But then, like Corsica South Coast, you buy land, you put roads in. You're right, all kinds of things can happen and it's not stable, let me tell you, from experience, but then, the alternative is much harder: lobbying the Lindens to get them to tear themselves away from Bellisseria and come back to the old Mainland and build roads.

From what I gather here and there, they themselves hate that idea, so at this point, I try not to get any ideas into their heads like deleting Mainland sims without roads that are mainly abandoned. Instead, I buy a whole abandoned sim and try to fix it myself. However I can tell you candidly: I don't ever plan on doing that again lol. 

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 766 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.