Can we have normal aspect ratios for profile pictures?

MelodicRain

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 785 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Blaise Glendevon said:

Nah. They need to be revamped. I liked the social media aspect when people were actually using it. And there's a need for it - see how many SL twitter/tiktok/facebook profiles people maintain.

That's nice.

Glad you liked that aspect. I didn't - remove them.

Aww, people maintain SL based social media accounts? That's nice. Leave them on their respective platforms (some of which really do have a love/hate relationship with "not real people").

Just now, Solar Legion said:

That's nice.

Glad you liked that aspect. I didn't - remove them.

Aww, people maintain SL based social media accounts? That's nice. Leave them on their respective platforms (some of which really do have a love/hate relationship with "not real people").

This is rather dog and the manger of you. Just because it's not relevant to you doesn't mean it's not an interesting or useful feature.

Anyway, time to excise all the V1 cruft the old timers cling onto for no good reason. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, Blaise Glendevon said:

This is rather dog and the manger of you. Just because it's not relevant to you doesn't mean it's not an interesting or useful feature.

Anyway, time to excise all the V1 cruft the old timers cling onto for no good reason. 

You find it useful. You can only speak for yourself.

If others find it relevant, that's oh so lovely - let them lodge their own opinion on the matter, neither of us speak for them.

I frankly don't care if it is found to be "interesting" or "useful" - it was and is an attempt to make the profile system feel more like certain social media platforms. No. Build an actual platform and let users decide if they wish to use it or not - do not have it integrated into a basic function.

Also, no on your last statement. You do not find any of it useful - that's oh so lovely. Don't use it then.

There was no need whatsoever to move any of the functions to web based variants - none, at all. No need, no actual, good reason ..... Nothing.

21 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

LL need to explicitly state what images are what size .. AND .. mandate that in ALL viewers .. AND .. maybe not use the system 1024 textures for such content. No one would design what we have now if they were starting from scratch.

We need some UI to assist the user uploading images for profiles so they aren't trying to manually fit a rectangular peg in a square hole that's been stretched to look like a different rectangle.

This is what Twitter does for it's weird header images. Lets have some of this.

VMUjgiK.png

:D A commodore 64, in a SL thread.. I couldn't be happier at the moment.  I love those little machines, they are a lot of fun.  I actually purchased a replica of a full sized C64 that works, I have it hooked up in my bedroom and every now and then I will fire it up to fill myself up with some retro nostalgic bliss.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

:D A commodore 64, in a SL thread.. I couldn't be happier at the moment.  I love those little machines, they are a lot of fun.  I actually purchased a replica of a full sized C64 that works, I have it hooked up in my bedroom and every now and then I will fire it up to fill myself up with some retro nostalgic bliss.

First Life spouse scored a haul of C64 goodies at the start of the pandemic and has been lovingly refurbishing them. I don't have a sentimental attachment to any computer I can't play FFXIV on, but he's having a great time. Even 3D printed replacement caps for missing keys and everything. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

First Life spouse scored a haul of C64 goodies at the start of the pandemic and has been lovingly refurbishing them. I don't have a sentimental attachment to any computer I can't play FFXIV on, but he's having a great time. Even 3D printed replacement caps for missing keys and everything. 

They are becoming increasingly sought after, and have a pretty large following on sites like youtube.  I love to watch videos of people repairing them, and also using mods, the 3D printer seems to be invaluable for maintaining these older machines as the parts are becoming more rare.  The oldest computer I currently own, is a apple IIc, I purchased for $20 at a thrift store about 4 years ago I think.  The one I enjoy the most though, is my Amiga 1200 which I purchased in the 90s, that thing is a lot of fun.  To be honest though, it is a pain to get it all setup as I usually have it in my closet, so I usually just rely on emulation for my fix.

The commodore 64 also makes for some really neat cyberdeck mods, people get incredibly creative with them.

39 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

Sorry for the off-topic, but I'll be quick. I LOVE C64! I just emulate it, though. The systems/games are so expensive on Ebay omg! I wish I had kept my old C128.

Okay all done.

I agree with the OP, too. Consistent sizes would be great.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Istelathis said:

I have recently built myself a MiSTer FPGA system mainly for the C64 & Amiga cores, while it is super accurate and "feels" more like original hardware than emulation (especially the Amiga mouse), it's a stack of circuit boards and doesn't really look the part, so bought the C64 Maxi with the intent of gutting it and just keeping the case and full size keyboard .. only I couldn't get on with it. It looks the part but it feels about as wrong as it's possible to get.

Sooo.... I got a real C64 that with no PSU that was presumed dead and I was going to build the MiSTer into that and do some voodoo to get the actual original keyboard working .. only it turns out I couldn't ignore a broken C64 board, and after much messing about and a new modern replacement PLA, have fixed it. My MiSTer is still a loose stack of circuit boards.

photo_2022-03-04_17-48-11.thumb.jpg.e58cca3a4a396cf0378dbdb6c0614688.jpg

It's quite alarming just how happy this thing makes me.

(The big monitor is a showing pi1541, a Pi based bare metal 1514 disk drive emulator ... I need a bigger work bench .. I have a bigger work bench .. It's buried under stuff .. help)

• Like 4

@Coffee PancakeThat looks amazing 🥰 I love to watch this one youtuber, with the channel Adrian's Digital Basement, you have probably heard of him. He often has problems with PLAs (and memory).  That stuff fascinates me, even though at best I think I could possibly fix some traces, or replace caps.  I've been tempted to get a MiSTer for a while now, but have been mostly just using my PC to emulate older systems or sometimes I use retroPie.  The thing is, what I like to emulate most is my Amiga and I get a kick out of pushing the operating system as far as I can but I think the MiSTer caps out at lower speeds. I've also wanted to use it as a Windows 98 machine, but again with the speed - I think PCem would be faster.  Also, as you said for the C64, there is just something about the look of the machine that would be missing, that is why I bought the maxi, and if the same company eventually offers it, a full sized Amiga 500 :) 

Kudos on saving the board, those things are slowly vanishing.  

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 785 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.