Coming soon! Email login Notifications!

bigmoe Whitfield

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 932 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

maybe instead of clicking no in email respond to email reply no would be more secure? scammers are going to still find a way around that. Its pretty bad you can't trust email, anyone can send out a bunch of fake emails claiming to be from LL and that's going to cause major problems, especially if our email lists are not secure within LL. 

Click this link we will help you.. yah right.

I guess we have to know in world if LL really did try to reach out via email and those messages can never be deleted. Inworld security alert system built into the notification system?

People in world who share their email for business are at the highest risk for fraud. A criminal could easily use the publish format and even though no one successfully accessed the account, a scammer could send an email saying someone access your account click here for help. 

:(  

Edited by Paulsian
  • Haha 1

Awww that's mean (coughcough Apple). In all seriousness, I'm going to need a way to verify the authenticity of the email. I guess it was nice of them to show users exactly what the format will look like so they know what to look for, however, the criminals just got the same memo. People are going to be getting emails from linden copycats who never signed up for anything, that's what worries me.

umm.png

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

In all seriousness, I'm going to need a way to verify the authenticity of the email. I guess it was nice of them to show users exactly what the format will look like so they know what to look for, however, the criminals just got the same memo. People are going to be getting emails from linden copycats who never signed up for anything, that's what worries me.

Honestly, we have been dealing with email phishing for so long that anyone with any brains either knows how to verify the links or will ignore them and simply log in to their Dashboard using their own bookmarks/favorites.

These days I just don't really have much sympathy for anyone that clicks on links in emails without even thinking about possible phishing.  I'm getting tired of the world constantly trying to protect idiots from themselves.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

That's true, most people who use second life are extremely intelligent and tech savvy, almost super humanish, but for those like my Granny who is not, she just wants things to work. They come into this world for companionship and then someone nice comes along and eventually gets her email address out of her. It's not funny but sorta is, her bank has a special red flag just for her. 

Onboarding needs more scammer awareness training. I get LL should not scare customers away with every nightmare scenario, this world is so organically similar to real life and initially gives the impression of trust and friendliness, it forgets to point out not everyone should be trusted. This world has good people and bad people.   

The entire new email system is bazar, because most people are always in world, and if they have not enabled the allow multiple viewers, and a scammer log in attempt would be successful but fail because user was already logged in, would that trigger an email? The scammer would have to be a deepfake friend, who would know when their victim logs out. If they have the password to their SL account they would likely have their password to their email account and be able to intercept any correspondence from LL. 

Having an internal way of knowing that your SL account had been compromised would be a major security benefit. Security Manager Notifications System that can never be deleted. That included account accessed by ip other than primary as well as failed attempts by ip other than primary as well as the names of sl accounts associated with that ip address so they all can be unfriended and reported. 

Edited by Paulsian
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

if they have not enabled the allow multiple viewers, and a scammer log in attempt would be successful but fail because user was already logged in

First of all, the 'allow multiple viewers' does not allow the same account to log in multiple times, so that setting does not even come into play here.  That setting is so that you can have multiple accounts logged in at once.

Second - and this is just for FYI - if someone is already logged in and then they log in from another viewer, the second login will actually terminate the first login (with the message shown below).  So whether or not you get an email, you will immediately know that someone just logged your account in.
image.png.289ce1b664e10557a5487d18b39cedc0.png

And as I have already said -- if you care enough about account security then you will enable the MFA.  Then, even if another person logs into your account, the worst financially they can do is transfer away any L$ that your account already has.  These days, folks of any age need to be aware of online security it they touch the internet at all.  

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

First of all, the 'allow multiple viewers' does not allow the same account to log in multiple times

Yah you're right, my bad. 

That notification looks scary. I have no idea what a MFA is. 

Edited by Paulsian
  • Haha 1

*is busy marking it as spam*

sorry, don;t need it after each and everytime I log in.

LL at least give us an option to opt out or you'll no doubt end up marked as spam after all that kerfuffle to get us to verify email addresses in the first place 🙂

Edited by belindacarson
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:
On 3/1/2022 at 1:08 PM, belindacarson said:

LL at least give us an option to opt out

Where is this? I must be blind.

You cannot opt out of the email if you email address is verified.  Best I can tell, you'll only not get the email if you never verified the email address for the account.

I think Belinda was telling LL to give us the option to opt out.

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Gem Oxygen said:

Is there a way to turn the notifications off?

Per the post directly above yours:

On 3/2/2022 at 4:21 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

You cannot opt out of the email if you email address is verified.  

I suppose you could change your email address and then not verify it.  That also would mean that you won't get any other emails from SL either.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 932 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.