Say Goodbye to Disco Guy? Are New Starter Avatars Coming Soon?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 857 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

The Land of Confusion™

I think Genesis got there first... Trademarkwise ... with a little help from Spitting Image. (I just needed a music break.)

(I just needed a music break.)

As you were!

Edited by Marigold Devin

Here's your direction: Do what you will but Grief none.

Barrier to entry? Good. The last thing Second Life needs is to appeal to - let alone encourage such to stay - the average Tom, Richard, Harry, Jane and Juliet.

Could there be a bit more in depth of an introduction area? Sure. The end user is supposed to find their purpose for using the software. Some will socialize, some will go for the RP, some for the "activities" and some even for the combat (such as there is) ... among other things.

Put off/turned away by the lack of direction or the graphics? Good. If you're looking for an equal to whatever else is out there, go to those places. There are actual games today with worse looking avatars, enemies and such than Second Life (just got done messing with one actually - Zenith) where the primary draw is the gameplay, not the graphical fidelity.

Second Life? The primary draw? Should be that it is so open ended/has no objective/is directionless. That was - once upon a time - a thing they proudly touted and even turned into a Marketing slogan ("Your World, Your Imagination"). Yes, there are limits to that premise ... That is not a detriment.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

But yes. AND STANDARDIZATION. For god's sake, get mesh body and head creators together, and establish some frickin' standards!

Under whose authority? Using what force? 

If creators voluntarily do it (like Omega compatible things during applier days) that's one thing. But outside control on creators? Totally undesirable.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, KathrynLisbeth said:

Present it as a challenge.   It can be intricate, technical, social, and totally Absurd.   But...    It will constantly give you new stuff to look at and figure out.

SL is layer upon layer of Puzzles.

I'd say it's more like peeling an onion. The more layers you peel back, the more likely your eyes are to water. It's the fumes that get you. 🤭

22 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

Under whose authority? Using what force? 

If creators voluntarily do it (like Omega compatible things during applier days) that's one thing. But outside control on creators? Totally undesirable.

Who said anything about "force" or "authority"? Read what you quoted, Blaise: I said "get mesh body and header makers together," not "impose a standard from above."

Standards established collaboratively by organizations such as the W3C help level the playing field, and make life easier for consumers.

Right now proprietary standards for things like HD UV maps have been weaponized to hurt competitors -- and that's what they are doing. Seen a lot of news skins for Catwa HDPro or Genus around lately? And in the process it makes life miserable for smaller creators, who have to deal with multiple standards for things like skins and makeup, and for consumers, who have to buy new or multiple versions of some products, and deal with additional confusion and complexity when it comes to avatar customization.

It's like the days when competing railroads used different gauges of track. It's wasteful and stupid.

• Like 2

Disco nebba ebba gunna DIE!!  Nebba I say!! \o/

I mean, I don't think Sanchezz is gonna take this news too well..

Hanging out with Sanchez

On a side note, Disco really had some amazing beats back then.. I can't say I envy the clothes, but the beats and a lot of the music I have heard from my fathers collection is really really good..

Maybe I'll put this on when I tell Sanchez the bad news,, this always seems to calm him down and get his mind off bad things and more on dancing.. hehehe

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

I'd say it's more like peeling an onion. The more layers you peel back, the more likely your eyes are to water. It's the fumes that get you. 🤭

If you put a stick match in your mouth while peeling an onion it won't make you cry..

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

whaaaaat????

Anything that will absorb the fumes will work..

The match has to be unlit, You bite down on the wooden side while cutting the onion and the match absorbs the fumes..

You may have to use a couple matches depending on how much you are cutting..

I also heard a piece of bread will work too..

Myself I don't seem to have a problem with fumes.. I guess it's how I cut mine..

I cut mine first long ways, Take out the heart then slice the halves in slices..

I think it's the heart that gets you.. hehehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 857 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.