Latest Viewer Removed Stand Button?

Lindal Kidd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 858 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Lately, I have been encountering a situation at Welcome Island 2, one of the main entry ports for newcomers. A fair number of avatars are executing ground sits and then find themselves unable to stand up.  Part of this seems to be a change in the stock Linden Lab viewer design, part is an intermittent bug, and part may be induced by the helpful Guidebook floater. 

Viewer design.
The latest viewer seems to have removed the Stand button which is located at the lower left edge of the screen and appears whenever you are sitting. Instead, there is a Stand button that appears on the movement palette (that little control panel that almost no one uses. It appears when you check Me>Walk Stand Run). The Firestorm viewer still has the Stand button, thank goodness. Avatars may still stand by right clicking themselves and choosing Sit/Stand from the context menu.  Also, the Force Ground Sit, ALT+SHIFT+S, is supposed to act as a toggle, invoking either a sit or a stand, depending on the starting condition.

Intermittent bug.
I am not yet sure whether this is unique to Welcome Island or can occur anywhere. Sometimes, after a ground sit, none of the methods for standing described above work.  Nor does Stop Animations, Stop Animations and Revoke Permissions, Reset Skeleton, or Advanced>Release Keys.  The affected user must either teleport to a different region or re-log to escape the ground sit.

Guidebook floater.
The Guidebook's movement tutorial shows a picture of the WASD keys and the keyboard arrows and describes how to use these to walk. It also suggests experimenting with the "ALT or SHIFT keys" to see the effects.  The problem here is that ALT+SHIFT+S is the Force Ground Sit toggle. It's easy for a new user to try using both the ALT AND SHIFT keys, instead of ALT OR SHIFT keys.

I'm going to submit this as a JIRA, but thought I would post here as well, in the hopes of getting more data on the problem.

EDIT: If anyone experiences this and wants to add data, here's the JIRA.  https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-231585

Edited by Lindal Kidd
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Lately, I have been encountering a situation at Welcome Island 2, one of the main entry ports for newcomers. A fair number of avatars are executing ground sits and then find themselves unable to stand up.  Part of this seems to be a change in the stock Linden Lab viewer design, part is an intermittent bug, and part may be induced by the helpful Guidebook floater. 

Viewer design.
The latest viewer seems to have removed the Stand button which is located at the lower left edge of the screen and appears whenever you are sitting. Instead, there is a Stand button that appears on the movement palette (that little control panel that almost no one uses. It appears when you check Me>Walk Stand Run). The Firestorm viewer still has the Stand button, thank goodness. Avatars may still stand by right clicking themselves and choosing Sit/Stand from the context menu.  Also, the Force Ground Sit, ALT+SHIFT+S, is supposed to act as a toggle, invoking either a sit or a stand, depending on the starting condition.

Intermittent bug.
I am not yet sure whether this is unique to Welcome Island or can occur anywhere. Sometimes, after a ground sit, none of the methods for standing described above work.  Nor does Stop Animations, Stop Animations and Revoke Permissions, Reset Skeleton, or Advanced>Release Keys.  The affected user must either teleport to a different region or re-log to escape the ground sit.

Guidebook floater.
The Guidebook's movement tutorial shows a picture of the WASD keys and the keyboard arrows and describes how to use these to walk. It also suggests experimenting with the "ALT or SHIFT keys" to see the effects.  The problem here is that ALT+SHIFT+S is the Force Ground Sit toggle. It's easy for a new user to try using both the ALT AND SHIFT keys, instead of ALT OR SHIFT keys.

I'm going to submit this as a JIRA, but thought I would post here as well, in the hopes of getting more data on the problem.

It may be a server issue. The stand button is still where it normally is in the default viewer (lower CENTER) but I've seen what you're describing in some places, both with the default viewer and Firestorm. It seems to be most prevalent immediately after logging in before you teleport somewhere.

• Like 1

• Moles
1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Viewer design.

I'm using Second Life Release 6.5.1.566335 (64bit) and this is what I see:

90dbfc8ff49c16b2814e1672d7efabbf.png

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 858 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.