What determines the order in which the components of an outfit attach to the avatar when the outfit is worn?

Jennifer Boyle

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 876 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Clothing layers - or any system layers, really - is fairly straight-forward:

• The order of the layers is determined by the order you add them to your avatar.
  • The order is also determined by the type of layer: tattoos on the bottom, then underwear, then clothes (coat > shirt). 
  • The order can be manipulated in the outfit editor;
    - Open your appearance UI.
    - Click the wrench icon.
    - Use the up/down arrows on any given layer to move it up or down the priority list.

Although I'm unsure of how scripts would work with these layers.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Orwar said:

Clothing layers - or any system layers, really - is fairly straight-forward:

• The order of the layers is determined by the order you add them to your avatar.
  • The order is also determined by the type of layer: tattoos on the bottom, then underwear, then clothes (coat > shirt). 
  • The order can be manipulated in the outfit editor;
    - Open your appearance UI.
    - Click the wrench icon.
    - Use the up/down arrows on any given layer to move it up or down the priority list.

Although I'm unsure of how scripts would work with these layers.

I understand that the order of the clothing layers I'm wearing at a particular time is determined by the order in which I added them, and that I can change it with the appearance editor. If I save my avatar's current state as an outfit, when the outfit is worn, will the clothing layers always be in the same order they were when it was saved?

10 minutes ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

I understand that the order of the clothing layers I'm wearing at a particular time is determined by the order in which I added them, and that I can change it with the appearance editor. If I save my avatar's current state as an outfit, when the outfit is worn, will the clothing layers always be in the same order they were when it was saved?

Yes

For attachments, the appearance of rezzing / re-rezzing  is 'mostly kinda sorta'  due to the 'visual muchness' of the attachment.    Which sounds very vague, because it it.   

But that is just you drawing it on screen..  The issue winds up as parts not working, like a clothing item says 'engage a combo of alpha cuts' and the body nopes out. 

This I have seen when the body has visually loaded before and after a clothing attachment loaded.  I even got bored enough to spread all the things across different attach points,  so seems to have nothing to do with a contest of 'Order of things stacking on one specific point'.      So I think is more due to the 'relative scriptyness' of the items,  as in what all needs to get turned on and working, not just a script count.   So in the race to turn on all the parts,  the body winds up being slower and just wasn't listening.

On rezzing it's whatever order the region sends the data to you multiplied by the viewer fetching and processing the related data.

Scripts are executed the moment the region fetches and starts the process from asset servers.

Or in other words, it's dumb luck all the way down.

This is not to be confused with the order of body layers such as tattoos, which is something else entirely and not what the OP was asking about.

• Like 1

As Orwar says, the system layers order is set by you, in whatever order you originally added them. Attachments are all fetched simultaneously, so the order they actually apply will be dependent on complxity, variable lag and dumb chance. Neither of these things can be affected by scripts

A workaround would be a list of several "outfits" comprising one or a small number of items each, and add (not replace) each outfit sequentially in the order you want.  I believe RLV can do this.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 876 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.