Map of abandoned lands?

Kira Skydancer

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 917 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just curious, is there any way to get the World Map to highlight Abandoned Land, like it does sale and auction lands? Alternately, is there any other way to easily see abandoned land in an area?

Wandering around the grid and clicking a lot is kind of interesting, but time consuming. I would think a feature like this would be useful, since i assume they would like those abandoned lands to be claimed...

• Like 1

There is a tool you can get on marketplace that scans a region and points out abandoned parcels.  I've never used it, so I don't know how well it works.  There may be other tools, as well.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/ArtiZan-Abandoned-Land-Finder-Automatic-parcel-scanner-sends-IM-and-email-reports-HUD-rezzable/21533770

On 10/4/2021 at 6:02 PM, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

There is a tool you can get on marketplace that scans a region and points out abandoned parcels.  I've never used it, so I don't know how well it works.  There may be other tools, as well.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/ArtiZan-Abandoned-Land-Finder-Automatic-parcel-scanner-sends-IM-and-email-reports-HUD-rezzable/21533770

Thank you! It isn't perfect but works well for my needs.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/11/2021 at 6:07 PM, TT120 said:

I use the Sparx Land Hud to search for abandoned land.  It only shows 1 sim at a time so you still need to move around the grid.  I usually fly at around 500m to avoid the stupid ban lines and search for the purple spots.  (Purple is that color used for abandoned land)

Second Life Marketplace - Sparx Land HUD

Purple is land that the Lindens have already decided to put on the auction, and it has an auction number.

Abandoned land that is either freshly abandoned by the user, then reclaimed and tied up by Lindens, or even then later abandoned by Governor Linden herself, all stay red in colour.

I think the reason the Lindens do not make this so easy to find is to that land barons don't seize it all. And that's likely a good thing. I continue to maintain that abandoned land should be available first to those on the sim who could use it who are already there, and only if none of them are found, put on the auction. I don't see that this is hard to do, but it would take some political will and coding.

I don't think the inability to see abandoned land in world or on the map is part of some grand scheme to put neighboring consumers ahead of land owners. 

It's far simpler .. no one at the lab was able (or bothered) to successfully justify a business or product reason that would warrant spending the developer time need to add such a feature. 

it used to be that abandoned land was automatically set to sale, so would show up on the map in yellow. Then Linden stopped doing that.Not sure exactly why. Altho I could make some guesses

lots and lots of yellow worries people, the world appears to be hollowing out

and sometimes people change their minds after they abandon. There is a fix for this. The Linden land bot could set the parcel back for sale to the previous owner for L$0. left like this for say 72 hours, person could claim it back in that time. After times up, land bot sets it for sale to Anyone at L$1 per sqm. Not sure tho how abandoned group owned land would be handled

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/21/2021 at 1:12 AM, Mollymews said:

it used to be that abandoned land was automatically set to sale, so would show up on the map in yellow. Then Linden stopped doing that.Not sure exactly why. Altho I could make some guesses

lots and lots of yellow worries people, the world appears to be hollowing out

and sometimes people change their minds after they abandon. There is a fix for this. The Linden land bot could set the parcel back for sale to the previous owner for L$0. left like this for say 72 hours, person could claim it back in that time. After times up, land bot sets it for sale to Anyone at L$1 per sqm. Not sure tho how abandoned group owned land would be handled

This would save the Land Team so much time in tickets. 

5 minutes ago, Feorie Frimon said:

This would save the Land Team so much time in tickets. 

i don't know the internal Linden processes, all I do is to try work out why they do things after the fact. Pretty much guess really at what would make sense

i think another reason for not putting land automatically to sale, was that Linden stopped doing it some shortish time after the  adfarming policy was introduced. All them micro parcels over the mainland.  Over the years since I noticed that the Linden land team have painstakingly rejoined these micro-parcels (on abandonment) with a neighbouring abandoned parcel where possible/practical. Which is good thing for them to have done. There are still micro-parcels on the mainland but nothing on the numbers that there were

about the second. Setting a parcel back to the seller for the same sale price for a window of time

I learned about this from Elanthius Flagstaff who was a mainland real estate dealer back in the day.  He had the fastest land bot buyer of them all, was called Professor Silverspar.  Elanthius had a buy price schedule  for his bot, what he thought land was worth in any particular area of the mainland.  Any land set for sale to Anyone within his schedule, the Professor would swoop. Other people's bots would swoop as well, but the Professor pretty much won the race  very time. It was super fast

i sold a land one time and left out a zero in the price. Bang! gone in within a few seconds of pressing the button to sell. Nuuuu!! the Professor had swooped. Contact Elanthius because his name was on the Professor's profile as the owner of the bot.  Elanthius reply with a IM, and basically says in more colourful language. Bloody hell! watch what you are doing. Pay attention for goodness sake!  I have set the parcel back to you for what I paid for it. You have 24 hours to buy it back.  And if you ever do this again I will not give it back to you a second time. Blinking wasting my time!!

so I buy my parcel back, send Elanthius a IM saying I was really sorry to have troubled him and thank you for your kindness.  I never got a reply. He probably went to himself bloody hell! I am getting paid in compliments now! I can't eat them for my dinner!

i noticed tho a few weeks later The Professor was doing it automatically on purchase, and I thought that Elanthius might be a big grumpy bear but has a good heart. So I had more kind thoughts about that as well

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 917 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.