HACKING INTO ACCOUNT

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 958 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recently my account was hacked. I have a premium membership and a "BEST" password.  The password was changed so I could not log on as myself and had to use an alt. My alt is a basic account. How do you get the premium support if you cannot access your information? This person was Arabic and plays at a gaming sim Masari Games was one of them. I will not pay for two premium accounts.This was taken care of within 24 hours, however, it will take 3-7 business days for the money to be recovered.

• Moles
32 minutes ago, Mitch Absinthe said:

Recently my account was hacked. I have a premium membership and a "BEST" password.  The password was changed so I could not log on as myself and had to use an alt. My alt is a basic account. How do you get the premium support if you cannot access your information? This person was Arabic and plays at a gaming sim Masari Games was one of them. I will not pay for two premium accounts.This was taken care of within 24 hours, however, it will take 3-7 business days for the money to be recovered.

Open a support case immediately, following the steps outlined here

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Account_Security

Help! My account has been compromised!

If you suspect your account has been compromised, contact us immediately.

Follow these steps:

1. Login to your account on the Second Life support portal.
  • Open a support case.

2.Enter the following:

• Under What type of problem are you having?, select "Account Issue" from the drop down menu
  • Under Account Issue, select "I believe my account has been compromised."
  • Fill in the rest of the fields as directed.
  • Copy the Tracking Number for your new ticket
  • You will receive an email containing your ticket information.

Once we look over your submission, Linden Lab will place your account on hold, and investigate the relevant transactions. This may take a few days in some cases. Once we have finished the investigation, we will send you an email explaining our conclusion and explaining the action that will be taken with respect to your account. As a reminder, all transactions involving Linden Dollars are subject to our Terms of Service (TOS).

If you can't get into your account because the password has been changed,  use https://support.secondlife.com/create-case/ and choose "continue as guest".

Edited by Quartz Mole
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Sometimes those phishing links get posted in group chat.  Most time the members will say don't click and hit the AR button on the avi posting the link. Many don't realise that links regarding accounts, etc, are only posted on the official SL website.

Just like they don't realize that the person who actually owns the account isn't the person spamming the links. It's also a compromised account. And then the innocent are suddenly banned and all they get is a form letter email that doesn't really tell them anything other than "You've been banned!" So they don't bother to try to get their account back because they don't know what happened or how to fix it.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Like 2

Just now, Silent Mistwalker said:

Just like they don't realize that the person who actually owns the account isn't the person spamming the links. It's also a compromised account. And then the innocent are suddenly banned and all they get is a form letter email that doesn't really tell them anything other than "You've been banned!" So they don't bother to try to get their account back because they don't know what happened or how to fix it.

I forgot about that part. A compromised account snags another account and they spew even more.  I have seen in groups some avi's impersonating staff like "LindenSecurity123456" or something like that.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

I forgot about that part. A compromised account snags another account and they spew even more.  I have seen in groups some avi's impersonating staff like "LindenSecurity123456" or something like that.

Doesn't do a whole lot for retention when you aren't informed of the circumstances and don't see any recourse.

4 minutes ago, Finite said:

I'm kind of surprised LL doesn't have a system in place that flags your account if it is logged into from an IP address in a far off country from where you generally log in from.

If someone manages to get your password and you are logged in, they can log into your account and it will bump you off. Don't think LL ever did anything about that either.

5 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

and then the innocent are suddenly banned and all they get is a form letter email that doesn't really tell them anything other than "You've been banned!" So they don't bother to try to get their account back because they don't know what happened or how to fix it.

For an inactive or casual SL user, this is probably the case. Also for anyone with a disability that prevents them from dealing with an issue that requires the messy process of an appeal to Governance, they just give up.   

The form letter listing 20 possible reasons you were banned is totally unhelpful.   And if you do appeal, you will likely get back another form letter that says your case has been reexamined and our original ban remains.  It's also difficult to appeal a ban if you have no idea what TOS rule you violated. 

If my account was banned with no specific reason given and no proof given, since I am active every day and have businesses in SL, I would know it immediately and know how to appeal.  That doesn't mean I would win. A defense without knowing the facts is no defense.

Edited by Jaylinbridges

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 958 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.