Media Influence, Stereotypes, And RL/SL Comparisons

Luna Bliss

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 974 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Luna Bliss said:

People are pushing for pot legality and I do hear people discussing its virtues more instead of demonizing it as in times past,  but I don't see it represented in media to the degree smoking is...and it's increasing. What they call 'normalization of smoking' is on the increase:

https://www.dw.com/en/as-smoking-on-netflix-rises-fears-of-normalization-grow/a-50134803

I wasn't trying to demonize pot, but I barely see a post or stuff in the media pertaining to cigarettes, more about weed. But here is the thing, there are still dangers to smoking weed. People still use papers and still light up and you gotta worry about the combustibles. Also Marijuana smoke has shown to contain many of the same toxins, irritants and carcinogens as tobacco smoke

9 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:
On 10/6/2021 at 1:31 PM, Luna Bliss said:

Look, it's insulting to tell someone they have an "addictive personality" just because they smoke.  That's a serious accusation....an unjustly applied label, a diagnosis, applied to a person who in most cases just likes to smoke.

Also Addictive Personality Disorder is a real thing it's in the DSM

It's complicated:

https://www.nwosu.edu/uploads//academics/social-sciences/bjcc/staff-training/dsm-5-power-point.pdf

27 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:
30 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

People are pushing for pot legality and I do hear people discussing its virtues more instead of demonizing it as in times past,  but I don't see it represented in media to the degree smoking is...and it's increasing. What they call 'normalization of smoking' is on the increase:

https://www.dw.com/en/as-smoking-on-netflix-rises-fears-of-normalization-grow/a-50134803

Expand  

I wasn't trying to demonize pot, but I barely see a post or stuff in the media pertaining to cigarettes, more about weed. But here is the thing, there are still dangers to smoking weed. People still use papers and still light up and you gotta worry about the combustibles. Also Marijuana smoke has shown to contain many of the same toxins, irritants and carcinogens as tobacco smoke

I see smoking showing up more in a lot of movies, and not just ones that are displaying times past when smoking was excessive.....someone did a study on the increased prevalence at Netflix.

Sure, lung damage occurs with smoking pot.

I imagine if people were smoking pot to a great degree in movies there would be efforts to minimize the glamorization of it too.

Edited by Luna Bliss

50 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Don't think she was meaning that post as it was a response to your posting the link https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2018/p0118-smoking-rates-declining.html as if it was some success story. It isn't simply because of the propensity to substitute addictions in general.

I didn't mean it as a success story. I needed a number as to the number of small fires a smoker starts in a day.

8 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I am gonna say  this, whenever I see people glamorizing weed or somehow glamorizing cigarettes. Especially on social meda. I don' t go hmm I really need me a joint or a cigarette. I am more likely to want a cigarette, if I smell cigarette smoke in a building. 

I trust what you say you experience.  I don't run to a cigarette when I see it on a movie either.  But that greasy hamburger somebody posted the other day....well I'm afraid I ended up pulling ground beef out of my freezer...lol.

The thing is, there's no way either you or I can use only our experience to generalize and say for sure what's actually trending...our experience is only one data point.  I rely on research to get a bigger picture,  many articles like this one:

https://truthinitiative.org/research-resources/tobacco-pop-culture/why-smoking-still-being-glamorized-media-and-pop-culture

1 hour ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I am gonna say  this, whenever I see people glamorizing weed or somehow glamorizing cigarettes. Especially on social meda. I don' t go hmm I really need me a joint or a cigarette. I am more likely to want a cigarette, if I smell cigarette smoke in a building. 

I gotta be honest here, i smoked cigarettes for a very long time. Not once since i have quit or when i was smoking did i ever enjoy the smell of the smoke. Pipe smoke and pot smoke smell good, Cigars and cigarettes not so much. 

32 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

I gotta be honest here, i smoked cigarettes for a very long time. Not once since i have quit or when i was smoking did i ever enjoy the smell of the smoke. Pipe smoke and pot smoke smell good, Cigars and cigarettes not so much. 

I actually hate the smell of pipe pot and cigar smoke as well.

On 10/6/2021 at 9:27 PM, Sammy Huntsman said:

I mean it would be better to take accountability, I realize addicts say that they don't have a problem. But usually those problems stem from other problems, and until they hit rock bottom usually. They won't recognize they have problems.

I knew I was an alcoholic just I didn't really accept it. 

6 minutes ago, Maryanne Solo said:

Nothing wrong with marywhoarna......

RomeoNTIV_SMAP_1118210-001.jpg

What I stated is that smoking Marijuana is just as bad as smoking tobacco. Not saying there is anything wrong with it. But I don't know why people are not talking about the other ways to use it, besides smoking it. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

What I stated is that smoking Marijuana is just as bad as smoking tobacco. Not saying there is anything wrong with it. But I don't know why people are not talking about the other ways to use it, besides smoking it. 

Weed is far less physically addictive than cigarettes. 

Ninety-three percent of smokers who smoke more than a pack per day believe they are addicted to cigarettes (as do 90% of those who smoke between a half pack and a full pack daily). In contrast, only 60% of those who smoke half a pack or less per day believe they are addicted.

Only about 9% of weed smokers become dependent though not physically addicted.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

Weed is far less physically addictive than cigarettes. 

Ninety-three percent of smokers who smoke more than a pack per day believe they are addicted to cigarettes (as do 90% of those who smoke between a half pack and a full pack daily). In contrast, only 60% of those who smoke half a pack or less per day believe they are addicted.

Only about 9% of weed smokers become dependent though not physically addicted.

I was more talking about the combustibles, irritants and carcinogens. They are both as bad for that.

• 4 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 974 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.