Forever Tourist: SecondLife Passport Game for all Residents

Feorie Frimon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 805 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 minutes ago, kitten Mills said:

;)

Its a great project for all mainlanders

Corsica has a own Corsica Tourist Center now @ Campbell Coast, where you can get your Corsica Passport and any stamps you can get in the near.

Corsica Tourist Center @ Campbell Coast

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Sunstream/99/247/65

Campbell Coast has some really cool spots, too. I can't wait to take the air cart trolley ride!!! :) 

• Like 2

Well the new list is easier to read for sure. TY.  But HOW can we tell where we have been now since the order changed?  Maybe there needs to be a MASTER LIST and a NEW THIS WEEK list?    I am not comping on the bit to go visit places I didn't like over again LOL. 

"DAMN she is a picky gal."  

I did find some lovely places this last week.   

I'm sure that providing constructive criticism won't be received well but here goes anyway.

From what I've seen basically this is an attachment that puts a stamp on a HUD of places you have been and provides a quick TP back to the location?  

Problem #1 - I have 3 stamps  so far. When I click on the stamp it doesn't say what the location/venue is, just offers to TP me to the location. 

Problem #2 - There is no hover text over the stamp to tell you what the location is and even though the HUD is huge the stamps are tiny and you can't read them.

Problem #3 - I bookmarked the first list and liked the fact that you could filter it. Now it looks like there is a new list with a new URL that you can't filter. Will each weeks list be stored on a separate webpage?

How is this any different than using the destination guide to find interesting and fun places to visit? You still have to go to a website to get the SLURS to visit and it only provides a short one line description of what it is.  Once I get a stamp I don't see how this would be useful to go back to places I've found worthwhile.

Maybe I'm just not understanding how this all works and how it can be useful.

Edited by Sam1 Bellisserian
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I'm sure that providing constructive criticism won't be received well but here goes anyway.

From what I've seen basically this is an attachment that puts a stamp on a HUD of places you have been and provides a quick TP back to the location?  

Problem #1 - I have 3 stamps  so far. When I click on the stamp it doesn't say what the location/venue is, just offers to TP me to the location. 

Problem #2 - There is no hover text over the stamp to tell you what the location is and even though the HUD is huge the stamps are tiny and you can't read them.

How is this any different than using the destination guide to find interesting and fun places to visit? You still have to go to a website to get the SLURS to visit and it only provides a short one line description of what it is.  Once I get a stamp I don't see how this would be useful to go back to places I've found worthwhile.

Well for ME, it is nice because this is my own "approved" list of places all in one spot.  

I will say that I ALSO made landmarks of the place with notes (newish in Firestorm) so that I know this is the snow place with long roads or the beach with lot of vistas etc.  

The other difference is that anyone wanting to be listed CAN be listed as apposed to the destination guide which picks from the listings -- so definitely MORE INCLUSIVE and includes "niche" places that the destination guide would not. 

Folks putting themselves IN the listings made their own icons. Hopefully most everyone can read the CHIC in mine.  I do agree that that they could be very tiny for some folks. I have a really big screen and they are still hard to read for me and one just has what ends up as an orangish picture. 

What would be nice if there is a next version of the passport would be for it to enlarge as needed. Granted that would take up a lot of screen real estate if you are on a notebook.   No perfect answer there. Location owners  didn't make our icons as small as they end up on the screen though so there is room for improvement on that if not too difficult (not a script person).  Maybe fewer stamps per page.

I think it really boils down to why folks are doing this. If they are just trying to get as many stamps as they can in their passport that is one thing -- it is another if they plan to use the passport as a TOOL in the future.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

Well for ME, it is nice because this is my own "approved" list of places all in one spot.  

I will say that I ALSO made landmarks of the place with notes (newish in Firestorm) so that I know this is the snow place with long roads or the beach with lot of vistas etc.  

The other difference is that anyone wanting to be listed CAN be listed as apposed to the destination guide which picks from the listings -- so definitely MORE INCLUSIVE and includes "niche" places that the destination guide would not. 

Folks putting themselves IN the listings made their own icons. Hopefully most everyone can read the CHIC in mine.  I do agree that that they could be very tiny for some folks. I have a really big screen and they are still hard to read for me and one just has what ends up as an orangish picture. 

What would be nice if there is a next version of the passport would be for it to enlarge as needed. Granted that would take up a lot of screen real estate if you are on a notebook.   No perfect answer there. Location owners  didn't make our icons as small as they end up on the screen though so there is room for improvement on that if not too difficult (not a script person).  Maybe fewer stamps per page.

I think it really boils down to why folks are doing this. If they are just trying to get as many stamps as they can in their passport that is one thing -- it is another if they plan to use the passport as a TOOL in the future.  

Really good points and things to consider. I was actually hoping to use it as a tool and that might be why it falls a little short for me.  Yes, the icons are very small and unless you know what their logo is then it can be hard to remember what place the stamp actually correlates to.  Just collecting stamps would not be what I would use it for. 

As far as the size of the HUD, it would be nice feature to be able to minimize it so you could keep it on your screen and not obstruct 1/5 of the screen. At least be able to hide the top part which, to me, is really unnecessary. Adding hover text when you go over the stamp with the location name would help a lot.

I guess I was not aware that you had to be vetted in some way to get into the destination guide.  This definitely will help to get little know regions out there so people are aware of them.

It is very nicely done and I am also not a scripter so I have no clue how much work went into this project. I'm sure hours and hours so I hope this is just taken as ideas for the future and not negatively.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Problem #3 - I bookmarked the first list and liked the fact that you could filter it. Now it looks like there is a new list with a new URL that you can't filter. Will each weeks list be stored on a separate webpage?

Thanks for the feedback Sam - and it's well recieved! :)

Problem #1: Unfortunatly, the Locations are the ones that create the stamps. They are encouraged to put something on them that will make it clear what the location is so that people can use this as a tool to come back in the future, but ultimately, the Locations themselves decide what their stamps look like. 

Problem #2: You're right - there is no hover text and I don't see any hover text being added in the future. I -do- think there may be some value to have an easier way to identify what the stamps are for or associated with (in case the stamp itself isn't clear), and I'll deffinately take that back to the team to try and find a way to make this easier to navigate on the next version of the passport.

Problem #3: That's great feedback on the list! I wonder if other people feel the same way? I'll send out a poll to get some feedback from the group members to see if this was an easier way to navigate the list moving forward. Ultimately, we want to make it easy for you to 'go to the places you are interested in', and skip the places you aren't interested in. 

As far as 'how is this different than the destination guide'? .... While some of the Locations on the Forever Tourist list certainly overlap with the Destination Guide, they aren't all the same. In fact, I think most of the locations on the list -aren't- on the destination guide and I see that growing as time goes on. Forever Tourist is certainly for locations and stores that ARE in the guide, but it's also for less known places too. The program has only been around for about 3 weeks and there are already over 200 locations on the list. It's just going to take some time for those 'less known' places to find out about Forever Tourist and register to get their location on the list as well. If you have suggestions for some possible places, I'd be super excited to hear about them. I'll reach out to them personally and offer them a free kiosk. 

7 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Noted Chic! I think this is fair feedback - bigger stamps! :) 

7 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Hey! I added a quick fix - now there is a big icon with a direct link to the Google Sheet, too - that way you can sort as you see fit! Feel free to use that instead of the other formatted version! :) 

Excel Format List.jpg

• Thanks 2

On 10/8/2021 at 10:59 AM, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

As far as the size of the HUD, it would be nice feature to be able to minimize it so you could keep it on your screen and not obstruct 1/5 of the screen

This! The HUD is quite large, and very much "in the way" when you want to look around at the destination. Now I detach the HUD when I want to explore, and attach it again when I go to the next destination, which is a bit of a hassle. Would be nice if we could just minimize it.

• Like 3

On 10/12/2021 at 1:40 AM, xViXeNx71 said:

This! The HUD is quite large, and very much "in the way" when you want to look around at the destination. Now I detach the HUD when I want to explore, and attach it again when I go to the next destination, which is a bit of a hassle. Would be nice if we could just minimize it.

I’ve got some changes in the works for a new HUD! :) Stay tuned! 

• Like 1

It’s been a busy week over here at Operation Mainland! We’ve been working hard to scout out abandoned land for residents to claim as their homes, rebuilding the Operation Mainland HUB, updating the newest version of the Forever Tourist Passport, updating our website, and sending out updates to the Paid version of the kiosk! WHEW!

Read all the details about the latest Forever Tourist updates in this blog post, and as always, you'll find the link to the Locations at the bottom of the page! :)

Since the start of the #ForeverTourist program, over 3,000 residents have collected Passport HUDS from all over the grid - 3,141 to be exact! Almost 300 locations have registered their kiosks for residents to visit as well!

Thank you so much for your support!  ❤️

The new list is up - use this link to check out all of these new awesome places and have a look at the updates! :) 

https://www.operationmainland.com/locations-list/102921-updates-amp-location-list

C4C88D70-318D-472E-9B35-3308FF25ECFB.jpeg

Edited by Feorie Frimon
Added stats

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The first offical meeting of the Explorers Guild was today at noon and I had a blast! We had a total of 10 people that came and it was a perfect way to figure out how to make our meetings work best. We checked out some beautiful beaches, a Linden Bear Castle, and rode a train down a mountainside and around a tree! It was awesome! 

If you are looking for something to do and new people to explore with, we hope you'll join us next time - we meet twice a week on different days to try to give everyone a chance to join! :)You can find out the info here!

I attached some pics of our adventure, but if you want to see them all check out the Flickr Group here! :)

GuildPic2.png

GuildPic1.png

• 4 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 805 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.